1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, May 3, 2013.

?

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

1. Chris Paul

317 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

251 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. PopItRockets

PopItRockets Member

I say Dwight but Cp3/Harden would be nice though as Harden will no longer try to play pg and take on his SG role more and cut the turnovers. However who's CP3 gonna lob too?? Only reg/flashy passes here

2. showa13

showa13 Member

I'd rather have Dwight if we have to choose, but I'm all for making a run at both if it's possible

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Paul is a bigger upgrade, but Howard is probably more obtainable.

One + Milsap in a SnT would be fantastic.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Renounce everyone except Beverly and CP3.

Putting us at 42 Million. Let's assume that the cap is raised to the high end of $62 million. That allows us 20 million free.

After that we need to trade Lin + Asik + at least one of our young assets (DMO, TROB most likely or TJones)

We either do this in a SNT or for 2nd rounders to a team who has them. (non guaranteed contracts so they will not have a cap hold, there is a reason why Morris was traded for a 2nd and not a first because he could have netted a late first guaranteed.)

that is another 20-22 million freed up .

giving us about $40-42 million in cap space to sign those two.

We need to do this now rather than later because we are going to lock up Parsons down the line and he is going to cost about $10 million. The penalties are going to go down and the cap is going up but this is the summer to take advantage of our opportunities.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I obviously mean CP25 not 3 in who to keep their rights for next season out of the non-guarantees.

6. AJS2518

AJS2518 Member

Dwight hands down. CP3 is likely to stay. Howard will have a lot of options

7. jacoby

jacoby Member

If we have Dwight, Paul and Harden on the same roster, we can still go over the cap to match any offer Parsons nets on the open market right? Since we'd hold his Bird rights....

If we wait though Parsons would kill our cap space and we wouldn't be able to net another star player, let alone 2.

8. hlcc

hlcc Member

if we can get either i'd be super happy, but I don't think they are leaving LA though.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yes, I believe we can go into the penalty to match any offers that he receives. Bima would have to confirm but I think that is the case.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yes, but it all depends on whether or not Les is willing (or even able) to pay these exorbitantly ridiculous luxury cap penalties.

11. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Cp3. Then just rotate Jones, dmo, and Robinson. One of them is bound to catch on.
    Harden
    Parsons
    rooks/sophmore
    Asik

There'd be 2-3 guys who can take over games. When low post scoring is need put dmo, when Rebounding is needed put jones/Robinson, when stretch 4s are needed put Jones /dmo. Also won't have to worry about hacking.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It wouldn't be the repeater tax which is good.

The FAQs make it seem as if the Tax level is not actually based on the cap and currently is set at $70.307 million. With the additions of Dwight and CP3 it would look like this. Putting us at about $62 million giving us $8 million in any exceptions and league minimums we can pay to fill out our roster, not an easy task but that lineup is beastly. This would keep us out of the luxury for 2013-2014. With pay increases though you have to be concerned about 2014-2015 but we would avoid the luxury repeater tax.

CP3/Bev
    Harden
    Parsons / Royce White (?)
    TJones/Dmo
    Dwight

13. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

CP3 would not come to a team where he would be expected to share playmaking duties with anyone...elite players care about their stats, it's just human nature...if you're asking Chris Paul to become a 15/8 player playing next to Harden, he just wouldn't do it.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

CP3 for SURE.

Asik has shown flashes of good offense, in rolling to the basket. He just needs to work on catching passes on the roll (catching passes in general, really) during the offseason, and he's good to go. Howard may be one step above Asik on defense, but Asik can work on that as well. Plus, Asik doesn't cost Howard-like money.

With that being said, CP3 is WAY better than Lin. Like a poster said, he can control the offense well enough, so that Harden can effectively play the 2 (and not hero ball all the time.)

CP3 is another clutch weapon that we can utilize if the game is close - I don't really trust Lin to take the final shot of the game, Harden be damned.

And like another poster said, who to lob to, if we have Paul? Asik, Parsons, Terrance Jones can all finish. But lobbing isn't what I care about - it's that Paul is just too dang good at what he does.

tl;dr? Howard > Asik, but CP3 >>>>> Lin. Go with Paul over Howard.

15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Exactly. PG is our biggest need. If we had a PG of CP3's skill level to facilitate the offense then the sky's the limit. Look how valuable Westbrook is to OKC. Asik is more than capable, whereas I'm not so sure we have the PG we really need.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

D-Wade and Lebron learned to play together.

I think Harden and CP3 would do the same if it meant championships in this changing league.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why S&T ?
    trade AsiK, Lin & TR for picks,then sign Paul & Howard

18. jvu

jvu Member

I want CP3 more
    But we need DH more

Only way cp comes here is if Howard does anyway

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Yes! U r right!

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I have my doubts about CP3 and Harden's ability to play together.

Unlike Lin, Chris Paul is not going to acquiesce to Harden's demand for the ball on a consistent basis.
    Sure CP3 played with a chucker in Jamal Crawford, but their minutes were staggered.

Howard playing off of Harden makes more sense to me than having two ball-dominating perimeter players.