1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul doing Chris Paul things

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 6, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

First of all, there is no game 6 with WB on our team lol. CP3 was extremely good against the Warriors in the playoffs both of his years on this team.

I suggest you don't look at WB's playoff numbers, honestly, don't.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

CP be trollin'

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

CP3’s status with the Rockets being decided based on Game 6 is what got us into this mess. Short sighted thinking has lead to a clear downgrade and less assets.

I blame Harden, Paul, Morey, and MDA for not working it out.

YOLO and txtodd like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I blame Tilman and Harden. Tilman doesn't know **** about basketball, wanted a big change purely because he was pissed we didn't win a ring. Harden can't see past his bromance with Brodie, was likely extremely excited about the chance to play with him again.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that MDA and Morey are both smart guys, both knew WB is trash, both knew CP3 was very good, but ultimately neither can say **** to Harden or Broke Boy Tilly.

5. Asian Sensation

This is exactly it IMO. A lot of delusional fans will hate to admit it but a lot of the blame needs to go to Harden and Tillman. But mostly Harden. Morey is too smart and WB totally doesn’t fit his style in the slightest but at the end of the day he’s a yes man when it comes to keeping Harden happy and doing what the owner wants.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not like he had much a choice, you can't piss off the owner and the franchise player, he would have been fired.

BeBreezy and Asian Sensation like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not sure why you'd say that, Westbrook has more playoff success than CP3. CP3s main success comes thanks to Harden. Otherwise, he's known for blowing a lead to Josh Smith, Dwight Howard, and Corey Brewer. Thunder would have been swept if it weren't for Westbrook dominating for one game.

Also, CP3 was not good last year against the Warriors. If it weren't for EGO and Harden we'd get swept. I know you're just going to look at how 'efficient' he was, he made the shots given to him and gave us like 15 or so points a few games, that's nice, but you need a lot more from your 2nd best player if you are hoping to win championships.

Rockets are 3rd in orating, 15th in drating, in a better position as a team than last year. I don't think Westbrook's negative effect is as bad as it may look.

There was nothing to work out with Paul, we weren't winning with him, if we couldn't get past a Durant-less Warriors I'm not sure why anyone thinks we'd get past a Lebron-AD Lakers or a Kawhi-PG13 Clippers. CP3 spotting up behind the 3 point line sure was going to scare defense as they just funnel Harden into the paint with elite on ball defenders and shot blockers and kick out to covered shooters. We would get mud stomped with CP3 this season in the west.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

CP3 spotting up at the 3 point line certainly scares defenses more than Westbrook ISO or Westbrook spotting up at the 3 point line.

But hey...i guess time will tell. I don’t understand judging CP3’s effectiveness based on 1-2 games, but hey, so be it. I just don’t see how Westbrook can be considered a playoff upgrade after the nonsense he’s shown the past 3 postseasons, so we certainly shall see. I hope he proves to be the upgrade we need. Just don’t see the evidence but would love to be wrong.

9. Asian Sensation

As a Pro-Morey guy and supporter of his since day 1 I feel for him.

J Sizzle likes this.
  10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You might not be a hater, but you’re definitely incapable of seeing the big picture.

CP3 is efficient over the course of the regular season because when he can’t get an efficient shot off against a defense, he stops shooting.

That is an obvious problem in the playoffs, when he has to play the same team 7 times. His efficiency might not fall off, but his usage will crater, and that forces other, less efficient players to shoot more often.

Not saying that Westbrook is the answer. Just that CP3 not being the answer isn’t going to be obvious when you’re using extremely simplistic analysis with no context.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Oh god, you don't know how bad I wish WB had that trait.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So if I’m hearing you right, you only want players who are effectively guaranteed not to help us, rather than players that hurt us most of the time, but might put us over the hump occasionally.

I guess if you like having great regular season records but no rings, that makes a lot of sense. I think most people here have loftier goals with this roster.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If you were hearing me right you'd just take my sentence for what it, and if you were honest you wouldn't rewrite it to say something I'm clearly not saying.

If you can't get off an efficient shot... PASS THE BALL (without turning it over). Harden is really good, we have some good shooters, Clint is a good finisher in the paint, we have options.

WB can't shoot an efficient shot anywhere outside of 0-3 feet from the rim, therefor every time he takes any shot that isn't a layup or dunk, he's taking an inefficient shot and should have passed the ball. That's what winning players do, they try to find the team the best most efficient shot so we can score more points.

Our championship odds with CP3 would be INFINITELY higher than with Brickhead. You can write up any story you'd like in your head along with JayGoogle, on how, WB is actually gonna get us places in the playoffs because he's Westbrook and Westbrook is Westbrook and not washed 50 year old CPO. You guys are delusional, Westbrick is total **** in the playoffs.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

Pathetic rule and while clever, CP3 is annoying. Can you actually not play with your jersey untucked? That's sad, probably a Stern legacy from the Iverson oversized hiphop thug rules.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

-The same game KD went out, is the SAME game Harden mysteriously didn't take any shots the last 7 minutes
    -Maybe CP couldve had a bigger impact if Harden wasn't moping around midcourt every time CP had the ball (the is documented)
    -Both played bad that series, but CP was the one that showed up the last game. Where tf was James Harden? Did he pull another game 6 vs SAS?

16. omgTHEpotential

Make no mistake about it, CP3 is a far superior player and that trade was awful. Morey wanted Harden/CP3 to stay together. His hand was forced by Fertitta who has 0 clue about building basketball teams.

And this is not a knee-jerk reaction to CP3's 30/7/4 game with no turnovers and clutch mental alertness to call a technical foul on Bell. He's been solid all year long. 16 PPG, 6 APG with only 1.8 turnovers per game. 46% from the field, 38% from three, and 90% from FT. Also add in a couple steals per game. If you swap Westbrook with CP3, this Rockets team is a favorite to win it all, even over the likes of Bucks and both of the LA teams.

Horrible owner.

17. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Look I loved CP3 as much as the next guy but if there’s any truth that Harden was gonna demand a trade if Cp3 wasn’t gone, you have to oblige Harden while he’s still in his prime.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we gave up too much for CP3. Morey is a horrible GM

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Westbrook is so bad that I'm starting to want Harden gone for bringing him here. What good is Harden if our "second best player" is Josh Smith the guard.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol, I’m not twisting your words. A child with a 5th grade education could follow your logic. The problem, again, is that you aren’t seeing the big picture, because you’re thinking of stats in a vacuum, and clearly haven’t read a college textbook on the subject.

I’ll try explaining it in an even simpler way.

CP3 shoots 60%TS
    Westbrick shoots 50%TS

If CP3 is constantly passing off to other players when he can’t maintain his 60% TS against a good defense, then other players on the floor with him will have a lower TS%, on an increase in usage.

If Westbrick shoots 50% TS, but doesn’t stop shooting against a good defense, the rest of the team won’t suffer a TS% drop or worse, our worst players won’t suffer an increase in usage

This is obviously to complex for you already, but if you decide to take a statistics or systems course, let me know so we can have a grown up conversation.