1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Marcus, Kwame Brown...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 17, 2002.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade MoT str8 up for Outlaw, much les throw in a #1.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Why? If he retires it'll still eat up the cap.

Best to just let him play, even as just a 3 point threat off the bench(what Walt SHOULD be now).

3. dave feitl

dave feitl Member

I would love to see Cato sent to Miami for Grant.Riley could ream him one and we would get a big guy who works hard almost all of the time.I think in the East Cato would have a good chance to improve some because there wouldn't be as many big guys to man handle him.He would probably do allright.I just don't know if the rockets could persuade Miami and if Grant could hang in the C position all the time.I think he plays center in Miami sometimes doesn't he?

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Crash 5179 said: Now is the time to get a steal in the Kwame Brown scenario. While there is some doubt as to if he will be a superstar or a bust is when we might be able to get him with out giving up any of our current or future stars. Of course it is a risk but if it works then we could have 4 of the best players in the NBA for the next ten years. If not then we have gambled and lost probably a number one pick and possibly a KT type of player. On the flip side of that scenario if we wait until Kwame proves that he is a superstar then we would have to give up considerably more to get him. Possibly Mobley and a number 1 possibly more.

I agree with this thinking. I also think that this type of thinking should be applied to the upcaoming draft. Go for Amare Stoudamire. Supposedly he held his own against the best big men of the class with Kwame Brown, Griffine etc. WE can afford to wait for these players to develop.

We really are not going to get anyone in the draft who will be more than a deep bench player for the next year or two anyway. We're just getting too deep for a rookie to jump in the way Eddie and T. Mo have this year.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with that. However, there is a MUCH greater market for KT because of his price, and he's not coming off an injury season. The Mo vs. KT debate on this team is a whole different issue (personally, I think Mo can score more in the flow of the offense, but that's another debate for another thread). I also think Mo provides a greater diversity as instant offense compared to Outlaw, to complement Eddie's defense. I think Morris could fill in to an Outlaw-like role in the near future for a fraction of the price.

Accept that Rice will play out his contract here. He has 2 years left-he doesn't have a market this offseason, and then he'll have 1 year left, and be a very friendly 9 million cut off the block, conveniently only 1 year of overlap with Francis' max contract. I think Rice coming off the cap will be more valuable than anything he'd net you in a trade, based on his age.

crash-Very cool that we agree. Also, it's definitely a no brainer if you can acquire a talent like Kwame without touching the core. If he can be acquired for KT+our #1 (assuming it's #7 overall, not top 3), it's a no brainer decision. I'd even throw in the Toronto or Chicago obligation.

6. AznBallerz55

AznBallerz55 Member

If anyone saw the Western Ky. game will know what Chris Marcus will suffer from in the nba. FOULS!!! I believe Curtis Borchardt would be much a better choice for a center to draft!

Here's a link about him http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/curtisborchardt.htm

7. Sane

Sane Member

I didn't kno that he'd still be eating into Cap space if he retired, my bad.

About the Mo T vs. KT debate, there is none. Everyone knows what each can do. Mo T is more talented than KT. He's got more "Skills". The only knock on him was determination and rebounding. Rebounding is something this team needs, REQUIRES, from the frontcourt BECAUSE we are backcourt oriented. This is why KT is better in that department. Here's what I think:

Mo T:

Great scorer, but nothing Griffin won't be able to do very soon. HIGHLY doubt he will ever be any better than Griffin beyind this season. Big contract. No rebounding. if his contract was smaller, he'd be well-suited for a bench role, but that's not the case. I'd prefer not to have a bench player make that money, and if he did, he'd bring something this teams lacks instead of increasing what it has. We don't need so much offense, as we do Bo Outlaw type energy-defense.

KT:

Obviously, has proven he can be an excellent player. Scoring, rebounding, defense. But in the West, whether you likeit or not, height advantage is essential. KT just is not able to match up with some players (like Webber for instance). But, if he can average 15/7 against the starters, he can be more productive, more efficient in a backup role in favourable matchups. Plus, his contract is small and he has chemistry with the players. In fact, as a bacjup, 6th man of the year is not out of the question.

Now, sure, no one will WANT to take Mo T. But they know what he can do. Hopefully, he'll play the whole preseason in stunning form to show that he's all healed up. There's no better time to trade him, because so many teams are looking for draft picks this year. Memphis, Denver, Clippers (depth), Cleveland, and Sonics. We have 2 in the first round. So, packaged with Mo Taylor, there could be a 3-way deal where we unload Taylor, and take Odom plus a big, but short, contract.

One thing I don't want to see: Rox go into the season with one of the PF's playing SF. NONE can defend a SF, and defense is what we want.

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

Good point about Borchardt. I have been talking about him for some time now. Hes the best center out there for us to pick up. He can rebound, play defense, hit 3s and hes better than Collier. What else can you ask for?

9. enbehay

enbehay Member

Smaller feet? Draftnet mentioned that his feet were so big that he looked like he was wearing clown shoes. I thought they were just being funny but, when I was watching his play, I noticed what they were talking about. He looks like he's running in scuba fins.

I wish I had scouting skills. However, it looked like Marcus is tall, massive and slow while Borchardt is underdeveloped and extremely awkward. Let's just concentrate on getting Ming.

#69 enbehay, Mar 20, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2002
  10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Really though, how much of a risk is Ming? Is he even going to be able to leave China? I wouldn't draft him if there was any doubt that he'd be available to play the entire 2002-2003 season. And even then, I still don't think we know enough about him to say he's definitely going to be a good NBA player. Personally, if the Rockets get a good draft pick next season I would rather see them use it for trade like the Clippers did last season.

11. enbehay

enbehay Member

News reports indicate the Chinese are very willing to let him go because of the acclaim they will receive by default. However, from what I've read, those same Chinese officials insist that Ming be drafted by a team that will develop his skills.

RT has the pedigree for doing just that, and he is well respected in the international basketball community. Also according to hearsay reports, all the GMs that have gone to see him are scheming on how to get him. Any draftee can be a bust, but IMO Ming is worth the risk.

12. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

How about the Rockets trade their first rounder and Mo Taylor for Kwame Brown and say a second rounder. Assuming we don't get lucky with ping pong balls, it makes sense. Imagine the Rockets lineup....plus Rashard Lewis.

PG Steve Francis
    SG Cuttino Mobley
    SF Rashard Lewis
    PF Kwame Brown
    C Eddie Griffin

Mmm Rockets.

13. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

There's a few problems with that lineup. Eddie Griffin is not a center, and I don't think he will ever become one. He skills best fit at the Power Forward position.

For Kwame Brown, I think it is still hard to determine wheter he could be a bust. But from what I have seen from him now, it does not look good at all - even though he is a high schooler. I dobut he will ever start.

Rashard Lewis will probably get more money, very close to the maximum with the Sonics. The Rockets do not need to pay another expensive guy, who is demanding too much. I don't see him coming to Houston.

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Just in case we end up with Kwame, does anyone want a Kwame Brown bobblehead? I've dealt with this seller before on Ebay & he's honest. He just sent me an email with this link to his site attached.

http://www.calsports.com/dimple/kb.html