1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Marcus, Kwame Brown...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 17, 2002.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't understand how trading KT and our pick for Kwame Brown will help us in the next few years. Sure, maybe in 3 years we'll finally be getting into regular playoff contention, but I want to win sooner rather than later, and I'm pretty sure Francis, Mobley and Rudy T. feel the same way.

If Kt doesnt want to resign as abackup and there is no one else on the board that could be helpful more immediately, than why not, but the last thing we need is another real young, real inexperienced player to hold up the hopes of the faithful on the bbs.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We'll see what happens. The chances of getting him might not be great but of course we should look into it. Sometimes players thrive in one environment and not in another. Or they just need time. Kwame's a kid.

There are exceptions like KG and Kobe (punk, a**hole, j***off), who enter the league with an ego to match the talent/"potential" (horrible word, but there it is).

One small problem we have is, who gets the minutes and where? KT won't want to warm the bench, he deserves time on the floor. In the East his lack of height would be less of a liability. Not to mention he will be due a pay raise and might ask for Mo-T money ("Hey, I'm giving you everything this guy is, where's my dough-re-mi?")

DCKid raises a good point, though. Steve/EG/KB would all ask for big money. Of course, Rice will be gone by the time some contracts come due.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, Kwame's hardly played, so his stats definitely will look bad. But here comes my big sweeping statement, so you can take it however you want to. <B>I don't think I've ever seen a 6'11" player move as fast as he does.</B> And that doesn't offer any guarantees by any means, but I can definitely see why Jordan would take a risk on him. Personally, I think a #1 draft pick should be a sure thing, and not a "risk" or a "project," but then I'd be doubting Michael, which is never a good thing.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Which begs the question...Why would they be looking to get rid of him. The Wizards are not going to win the championship next year, which will almost certainly be Michael's last. Why not keep this great prospect for the future?

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't know the answer to this either, but he was also mentioned in talks around the trade deadline for Rasheed. So, it's probably true the Wizards are thinking about trading him.

All I know is that Collins was pretty frustrated with Kwame early on in the season. He couldn't understand why a 19 year old was becoming fatigued so quickly. Apparently Kwame could only play five minutes before becoming completely winded. They took him in for some medical tests, and I haven't heard anything of it since. But also, earlier in the season Collins was making some comments about Kwame not listening very well and not really responding to the coaching staff. I'll try to find the article and post a link.

So, maybe its just like someone already mentioned, Collins just doesn't like what he's seen so far. And since he's hardly played, the only people who have really seen Kwame are the Wizard's coaches and players. Maybe they know something that noone else does.

6. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

To me the most exciting thing about what Clutch said was that Marcus had someone's attention. The Kwame thing is immaterial. Marcus clearly would address our most pressing need which is to fill a big hole in the middle. And for those who thinks he is slow, please take a look at how slow two of the more impressive rookie big men are doing this year. The Collins Brothers. Size is still critical in this league.

If I was told that the only change for next year was that Marcus was added, to replace Willis, I could live with that and fully expect us to make the playoffs.

7. Live

Live Member

Good question.

I can remember earlier this season during a Wiz game, the TNT\TBS crew made a reference to the Wizards trying to turn Brown into a SF because they were still kind of unsure as to what position Kwame should play.

Maybe they are still having that problem, where to play Kwame.

They probably see Haywood & White as being their future at C, and Brown doesn't rebound well enough right now to unseat Jones or Laettner at PF. Who knows?

BTW, wasn't Washington interested in trading Brown & etc. to Portland for 'Sheed? Now if the Wiz are interested in KT & etc for Brown, then KT's stock is pretty high.

8. Sane

Sane Member

I'm hearing from some DC fans that MJ thinks Kwame is a very very good player, but he's not a winner.

MJ, more than anyone, knows a winner when he sees one. Now I don't want Kwame if MJ doesn't want him.

Go for Odom.

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Wasn't MJ responsible for drafting Kwame?

Mango

10. enbehay

enbehay Member

Woof! Don't you think that's got to be an attitudinal kick in the pants? That kind of remark from MJ (if the hearsay is accurate) either motivates or destroys.

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

To bad we are not in the playoffs because all that is going to happen is everybody and his/her godmother are going to come up with all sort of junk rumors and hearsay; pure shut if you ask me. And it will continue like that until November.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen much of Kwame, but what I have seen is nice.

The Rockets won't win it all next year. Kwame should be the Da Bomb in 2003-2004. The rockets don't play defense so they need to depend on shotblockers. Kwame will atleast be Cato's equal.

I can't think of a better young tandem than Kwame and Griffin would be at shotblocking. Cato off the bench. I'd say the rockets could reject atleast 8 shots a game.

13. Sane

Sane Member

Mango, he just hadn't seen enough.

What I said about MJ saying Kwame's not a winner, I don't know/think that's a quote. That's just what Washington fans are saying for all I know.

I'd rather make 2 major trades next year:

Mo T + (Future) 1st round pick for Charles Bo Outlaw

Then, one of the following, prefferably the first:

1) KT + Mooch + #8(our pick) + #14(TOR pick) for Odom + Dooling

or

2) KT + Cash + #8 + #14 for Odom + Future 1st rd pick (non-lotto)

What do we end up with?

Cato/Willis/Griffin
    Griffin/Outlaw/Odom
    Rice/Odom/T-Mo
    Cat/Torres/Odom
    Francis/DoolingORmooch/Odom

Odom ends up with 35 minutes, so no worries about starting. We have everything we need to contend, and takes pressure off Steve, freeing him up to score a bit more. Odom won't receive so much pressure since he'll be the 3rd option on offense (increased FG%) and the rest is a dynasty :D

14. haven

haven Member

Riiiiight. The Collins twins? Umm... try 4.2 points and 4 rebounds in 17 minutes for Jason Colllins. And 6.8 and 4.1 in 21 minutes for Jaron. Moreover, neither blocked a significant # of shots... which you definitely want a center to do.

Would I want this for a lottery pick big man? Hell no. Especially when said big man plays at Western Kentucky, and looked crappy when he finally played someone his own size.

Do you really believe that quickness has nothing to do with success? Most of the successful centers in the NBA are quick, if not fast.

15. Sane

Sane Member

I'm actually happy with Cato as our C. More pressing needs?

1) Rice and MoT's contracts
    2) Decent SF, or at least a great backup SF
    3) Francis' Migraines

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you look at a guy who still needs development like Brown, I think that taking a long, hard look at his makeup is extra-important. The thing that sticks with me about Brown is is complete lack of an inside game, and what I percieved as an abject refusal to develop one before the start of the season.

That just smacks to me of a player who's going to work hard when they feel like it. This may change, but I think he has a lot of maturing to do. I'm not sure whether he'll be worthy of lots of playing time before his contract.

Given this, I have to wonder if the previous 'bigger McGrady' comments take on new meaning. Might the Rockets get him, set him straight, and develop him, only to see him bolt to the highest bidder? He seems to me like the kind of person who might do that.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sane- Why is MoT's contract an issue? He hasn't even been given a chance to underperform. There's not much to do about Rice-he has 2 years left, so unless he's tradeable this offseason, which he isn't, just leave him alone, and let him spot up and be a veteran leader.

There's no need to worry about potential salary problems-realize the salary cap goes up every year, and the luxury tax limit does as well. By the time Griffin and Kwame would be up for extensions, Cato's contract would be finishing up. As far as worries of similar T-Mac problems: That was under the old rookie salary structure. Kwame would have an extra year, and be a restricted free-agent, then an unrestricted. If we're winning in part because of him, he'd get paid, and wouldn't want to leave.

On Marcus- He's not Shaq. Shaq is mobile...Marcus really isn't. He hasn't shown the ability to be a cutter even like Cato, or to be a big time trailer on the fast break like Willis. Another difference is that an offense can run through Shaq, unlike Marcus. Marcus isn't a big time alley-oop threat, nor is he a good outside shooter. I'm not quite sure how he'd fit into the offense, or if he'd be more like the big body to act as Griffin's protection, and stand near the goal and take dishes off penetration.

enbehay-What do you mean "unless they don't change the stats"? Those listings are the ones from the beginning of the season, and usually stay the same throughout a player's career. Check out Rasheed Wallace- listed at 225 lbs. Kwame is 6'11'' 243, which is pretty solid to begin with.

FWIW, Whitney has 2 years left, and Lue has one year left.

On another note of speculation, maybe MJ wants to screw with Krumbs again, and take control of the Bryce Drew obligation?

18. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

:eek:

How do you plan on getting Woods without trading one of your untradable commodities. Woods is the hottest name in the draft right now.

IMO we need to trade either Mo or Kenny...preferrably Mo. If Kwame could be had for either, we should do it...

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's official! NIKEstrad is my favorite poster! Damn you make sense. I second everything in your post.

I would like to add one thing. Now is the time to get a steal in the Kwame Brown scenario. While there is some doubt as to if he will be a superstar or a bust is when we might be able to get him with out giving up any of our current or future stars. Of course it is a risk but if it works then we could have 4 of the best players in the NBA for the next ten years. If not then we have gambled and lost probably a number one pick and possibly a KT type of player. On the flip side of that scenario if we wait until Kwame proves that he is a superstar then we would have to give up considerably more to get him. Possibly Mobley and a number 1 possibly more.

Championship teams are not won with out taking a few risks with the roster and this is one I would gladdly take as long as we can keep Steve, Cat and Eddie.

20. Sane

Sane Member

NIKEstrad, it's simple. Cap flexibility. Also, sometimes, less is more.

We have a glut of PF's. Griffin will eventually be the starter. So we're looking at either Mo or KT as the backup. What do you think?

I'm thinking, if we're going to tie up that much money in a backup, I'd rather have it for Bo Outlaw, who plays 3 positions effectively, rather than Mo, who's more suited for a starter's role anyway.

Outlaw also has a shorter contract. He'll bring defensive intensity.

I wouldn't want to see 42million dollars on the bench, or playing VERY out of position. MoT and Griffin may very well play excellent together on offense. But there would be no worse defense in the whole Conference for Forwards.

I also don't want to see Griffin become Horry, so that's why it would be a good idea to make him a full time PF.

P.S. I'm hoping Glen Rice only plays one more season, then retires