1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Marcus, Kwame Brown...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 17, 2002.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Anyone see Kwame play? He's sort of built like Eddie Griffin, and I would think their games are similar. Brown may not have Eddie's range though.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I think this one is a big puff of smoke. However, if you changed the name to Haywood you might be onto something.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

All I can say is, "THANK GOD FOR RUMORS!!!" It's nice to see something fresh bouncing around the ol' Rockets Forum. Thanks Clutch!!! :)

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The Wizards havn't givin up on Kwame yet. They say he has the potential to be a bigger and better T-Mac. It's the same situation as when T-Mac came into the league and he didn't get much playing time at all his first couple years. In 2-3 seasons, Kwame will be the center of that franchise and they expect him to be one of the marqee players in the league.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Kwame doesn't have the range of Eddie, but he seems more atheltic as far as quickness and jumping ability. But from what I've seen it looks like Kwame is TOO quick. He's really out of control when he puts the ball on the floor. In the future, I think Kwame may prove to be a better player but that's probably at least two years away.

6. haven

haven Member

Brown... hasn't shown much this year, has he? And isn't he a little bit older than Griffin... who has played better? Not so sure about him.

But if we were trading for him, who would it be?

Players not going anywhere:

Cuttino Mobley. We know he wants to be in Houston. He has an extended contract. And he'd be redundant with Alexander and Hamilton.

Kelvin Cato - Jordan wants cap room or a franchise player.

Moochie: see above.

M. Taylor: See above.

Players people want, and could be traded:

Francis - Only would happen if he wouldn't resign. A Brown for Francis deal would suck, but at least we'd be getting an excellent prospect.

Griffin - Maybe Rudy sees Brown as more of a potential banger

KT - cheap, hard-working, effective, and improving-daily

Random draftee - who knows

And that's all, as far as I can tell. Anybody else would be filler, if that. No matter which way you slice it, if we trade for Brown, we'll be parting with a player that most of us are already attached to or a decent prospect.

Chris Marcus - yick. He looked very average against Borchardt... who I'm not high on, either.

7. drpepper

drpepper Member

I believe Jordan doesn't think he can win with Kwame still developing. So what Washington might have offered was Kwame for Chris Marcus, as long as he's still there for us. I believe Rudy knows Marcus is too slow for us, but Jordan might want him to throw on Shaq. They would then have 2 legitament 7 footers to throw at Shaq. And we get Kwame as an even trade to give Jordan a chance in the finals.

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

Since we might not get the Toronto pick this year (unless, Toronto pulls it's head out of it's..... well, you know), how about the same trade with the Rockets & Washington swapping #1's (our's would have to be top 3 protected somehow)? That's, of course, assuming Washington starts winning again & makes the playoffs. They're only 2 1/2 games back of the 8th seed & 5 1/2 games back of the 5th seed, with 16 games to go. If Jordan gets back sometime soon, they'll most probably make the playoffs.

9. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's a couple of my outlandish, homer 3 team trades for you guys to mull over, complete with Trade Accepted attached.:D

Trade #1

Houston trades:
    C Kelvin Cato
    PG Moochie Norris
    PF Jason Collier
    PF Kenny Thomas

Houston receives:
    C Kwame Brown
    C Michael Olowokandi
    SF Lamar Odom

Washington trades:
    C Jahidi White
    C Kwame Brown

Washington receives:
    PF Jason Collier
    PF Kenny Thomas
    PG Keyon Dooling (4.1 ppg, 0.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 14 games)

L.A. Clippers trades:
    C Michael Olowokandi
    SF Lamar Odom
    PG Keyon Dooling

L.A. Clippers receives:
    C Kelvin Cato
    PG Moochie Norris
    C Jahidi White

TRADE ACCEPTED

Trade #2

Houston trades:
    C Kelvin Cato
    PG Moochie Norris
    PF Kenny Thomas

Houston receives:
    SF Lamar Odom
    C Sean Rooks
    C Kwame Brown

L.A. Clippers trades:
    C Michael Olowokandi
    SF Lamar Odom
    C Sean Rooks
    PG Keyon Dooling

L.A. Clippers receives:
    C Kelvin Cato
    PG Moochie Norris
    C Jahidi White

Washington trades:
    C Jahidi White
    C Kwame Brown

Washington receives:
    PF Kenny Thomas
    C Michael Olowokandi
    PG Keyon Dooling

TRADE ACCEPTED

#29 Hottoddie, Mar 17, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2002
  10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Everyone says Chris Marcus would slow us down, but who in the NBA runs less than we do?:confused: In fact, he might help our defensive boards so our guards could get out on the break.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't think it is an issue of running the break as much as it is keeping up with the speed of the league. This is becoming a VERY fast league and players need speed (not just quickness) to survive, particularly when it comes to defensing transition.

Plus, it's nice when your big man can run the floor at least as a trailer. EG and Cato already do that well as does KT. Even Kevin Willis has always handled that role well.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

hotoddie, I like you alot, lol. :D

Marcus wouldn't slow us down. Honestly, our big men aren't involved in our transition offense. We need a post prescence; I'm not sure if Chris is the answer.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Your'e absolutely right about defensive transition. I was only thinking about offense when I posted.:eek:
    Our defensive transition has improved a lot, but it's still not that great. We don't want to make it worse.

On the other hand, I still say we never fast break, so I think my original point holds, as far as it goes. We don't need trailers if we don't fast break.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The best fast break is a rebound with a outlet in the middle of the floor and people running not jogging. The Knicks said the same thing about Ewing and they score no more than when they had them. The Rockets score no more than when they had Hakeem. Its about rebounding and filling the lanes. A team also can score point if they have good offense and good players. Saying Marcus would slow the Rockets down is just like saying Shaq slow down the Lakers.

15. Sane

Sane Member

One day later, I'm not too sold on Kwame.

He could VERY VERY well be a bust. I know it sounds very not-practical, but the NBA hasn't seen a highschool bust in a while now, so chances are, he's it. Plus, he needs to bulk up considerably tobe our C. If he was 6'11, 260lbs, I'd be a little more comfortable doing a trade.

Don't fool yourselves into thinking we're trading Eddie or Steve. Jordan is probably looking for picks, and we'll probably have 2 of them.

I'd be fine with:

KT + #8(ours) for Kwame

It's not like we need anything. Well, we need a good SF, but we're stuck. No matter what you think of him, T-Mo is going to play big minutes next year MOSTLY because that's what Steve wants. Rice is going to play because Rudy loves Rice and because the Rox can't admit they made a huge mistake in trading for him.

We might as well get a backup C and let Willis go to a contender.

Cato/Kwame(till he develops)
    MoTay/Griffin(till he breaks out)
    Rice/T-Mo(see above)
    Cat/Torres
    Francis/Mooch

I think Whitney is in his last year, so I don't know if he can be included in trades.

Honestly, the Wizards should just trade Courtney Alexander, Tyrone Nesby and their pick for Jason Williams. But Jordan is so stubborn he wouldn't take anyone out of Duke.

16. Live

Live Member

Count me among the Kwame Brown fans. A potential Brown-Griffin F tandem... WOW!!

I usually take articles with a grain of salt, but there is a pretty good article in ESPN The Magazine this month chronicling "a day in the life of a Western Conference PF", and how its by far the most challenging position in the NBA. Brown could go a long ways towards solidifying the position for the Rocks.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Live, I think that article was in Sports Illustrated. It's a pretty good read.

We need to address our center spot badly. If Kwame gains 15-20 pounds, imagine where he'll be in 3 years. A center who can put it on the floor, slash to the rim?

Face it, everyone: as much as we want to make the playoffs, we need another solid player.

I can see Kwame in a Rox uniform. The cost? Probably K.T. and the #8, maybe even Toronto's pick (hey, we are talking about the #1 overall pick). Jordan isn't too impressed with Etan Thomas, so I can see KT taking his spot. And if Jordan wants to win now, yeah, Kwame could be made expendable. The Wiz need a PG.

I don't see Moochie going anywhere because we're about to re-up Steve Franchise and his migraines for a lot of $$$.

18. Live

Live Member

You're probably right, I get both SI and ESPN so... :D

And I'm in total agreement with you on Kwame as a potential face-up, slashing C. That's basically what LaFrentz is (as well as David Robinson and Patrick Ewing), and there were plenty of us (myself included) who thought LaFrentz would be a great addition.

Face it, the Rocks are still in serious rebuilding mode, but perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't know enough about it to really comment on, but what happens a couple years down the road when Eddie and Kwame's contract runs out. How can we afford Taylor, Cato, Griffin, and Kwame, on top of the healthy contracts for Steve, Cuttino, and Moochie? It seems like there would have to be some major roster overhaul going on. I know that's a ways down the line, but it would be a shame if we had to let either of those players go before they even reached their prime.

And I'm speaking totally hypothetically. I don't think there's much of a chance of the Rockets obtaining Kwame.

20. enbehay

enbehay Member

Looking at Kwame Brown's stats, IMO we would be better served in the draft. Unless no one has bothered to change the NBA stats, Brown has not grown and has not gained weight. Brown so far has been the consumate bust. However, if we could get him cheap and he passed a detailed physical, then we might be served by sending K.T. to Washington and swapping first round picks (after we find out where we would draft because I certainly wouldn't want to give away a #1, #2 or #3 pick). Don't think this is too little because K.T. is a genuine player, and the league knows it.