1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Mannix: Yao's 24 min limit may be reevaluated in DEC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao#1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

24 minutes isnt the argument i dont think. Last night had nothing to do with 24 minutes. I had everything to do with 000000 minutes. We cant have 0 minutes. Stick to 24 but have back to backs where Yao plays. Thats a silly concept and it never really worked for Tmac. Its not working for Yao and the Rockets now. 24 minutes=ok not playing the next day?=middle finger to front office.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wish I could believe that but there is no reason for it, that I can tell.

It seems to be an educated guess on the Doctors part....

Big Z played back to backs when he came back.....and it has been 15 months.....it is not going to get much stronger.

Yao can either handle the minutes or he can't....either way, the team needs to find that out.

If he can't you learn and you move on without him...but you have to find out...THIS YEAR !

DD

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This^^ ;) The concept is finding out this year if he can handle every game of 81 games. No it doesnt have to be regular minutes. We have or the organization should find out at least if he can with stand a 82 game season of 24 minutes. If he cant now? He never will and the organization will waiste money by resigning him if they dont find out first if he can complete a 82 game season of just 24 minutes a game.

4. yaomingyaoming

Thetatomatis: I'll tell you why that argument is flawed.

Last night, what was the main reason the Houston Rockets lost?

It wasn't Chemistry. It had nothing to do with Yao Ming not playing. It had to do with we have two guards who can't defend, a point guard who doesn't know how to run an offense, an aging Battier, a 6'6 Center, a clueless as always Coach Adelman in the last critical minutes of a game.

All this has nothing to do with Yao Ming.

I get tired of people blaming Yao Ming for everything. The guy just came back from serious injury and we have a plan based on Iguluskas(however you spell that guy's name). Let's stick to the plan and not go crazy, shall we?

Dakota's excuse for last night's loss is BS. It's not chemistry. It was a lack of DEFENSE and bad coaching.

5. harryrms

harryrms Member

I'd take a Dr's guess over a regular fan's. But you are right, nobody knows for sure. However, I think they are going to follow the doctor's recommendation as long as rockets do fine, i.e. in the playoff. If the team doesn't do well. DM and coach will push for Yao to play withou limit.

6. DaDakota

This has nothing to do with last night at all.

Nowhere in this thread did anyone say that.

This is about Yao's quota of minutes and the team's ability to discover if they can count on him this year or in the future.

Don't try to make it something it isn't.....

We are discussing building a team WITH Yao Ming and what that means.....

DD

7. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

It means he plays 24 minutes. No B2B.

December, re-evalulate.

Rockets are going to have to stop making excuses.

8. DaDakota

I know, and that means that the team will continue to struggle and will not be able to find an identity until a decision is made to play every game.

And it means that a lot of us fans need to re-evaluate our expectations for the season.

If Yao is limited all year.....no WAY are we contenders, and we are a 7 or 8 seed at best.....if we are lucky and more than likely not a playoff contender at all.

DD

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Not a playoff contender with no back 2backs. Sorry guys. Thought they would play him at least 82 games with 24 minutes. Changes everything. Might as well think Tmac years into the transition away from Yao. Thats exactly the course its headed.

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

To be fair, Kmart and some other guys has never played with Yao, the situation in SA and LA are totally different.

On the other hand, their talent level is above us which may be the reason why Duncan and Bynum can have the luxury to rest in B2Bs.

11. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Than that's the Fans fault.

I knew full well what it meant. Because we know Les ain't getting Rid of Yao unless he suffers a career injury or Yao leaves.

I picked us to win 48-50 games. Not make the playoffs, unless by december Yao plays 28-30 minutes and b2b.

12. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

contract year???

:(

13. DaDakota

If Yao is healthy and plays 75 games this team can win 55 or 56 games and be a contender.

If Yao can't play any games, this team is a 50 win team and about a 5 seed.

If Yao can not play b2bs and is limited in his time during the other games this team is a 35 win team.

We are better off without Yao at all, then having him play a few minutes every other game.

Because there is no identity with the current situation.

Best case:

Yao is healthy we are contenders = Yao plays pretty much every game 28+minutes.

2nd best case:

Yao is out completely, we are home court contenders

Worst case:

24 minute limit, no b2b games = no chemistry, and a 35 win season...lottery bound again.

DD

14. DaJet

DaJet Member

Stop it DD!

You lost faith already!

You were the one that said we are contenders all along.

Please don't lose faith! :(

15. DaDakota

I thought Yao would play more games.....and they would ramp up the minutes, and I failed to account for the chemistry issues......that a partial Yao creates.

My bad.

DD

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

i think everyone should see the train wreck coming in this back 2 back no chemistry thing. It already happened with Tmac. What makes them think it will not be just as disastrous? Same thing here except we dont have Artest and Tmac or Yao rather wont shut it down at some point. Real train wreck with this back2 back stuff. its odd too because this organization already has A TON of knowledge on these things. Yet continually do these things with Yao and Tmac that NEVER WORK!

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is very unmatured point. DD, you have lived in your own imaginary world, and dreamed the team built around AB and CBud could win the title. You against the rockets to acquire star players, such as Bosh & Melo. When your dream got destroyed by reality, you start to blame the only star player in this team. I tell you now, your poor dream would never become true.

18. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I agree that the best case is a healthy Yao playing 28+ minutes, but suggesting that the Rockets are better off without Yao at all is totally bats! To suggest this team (or any team for that matter) is better off without a 7'6" center w/ Yao's skill set is pretty short sided, especially when Brad Miller is next in the pecking order at center. If January rolls around, and the doctor's are still adamant that Yao can't handle more than 24 minutes a game, then maybe it's time to re-think his role, but there's no way the Rockets would be better off without him altogether.

Yao being pretty selfless and limited in minutes, I would bet that he would be willing to come off of the bench and productive doing it. Most productive 6th men are swingman types capable of getting hot and producing instant offense. The reason lots of them don't start is that they lack consistency. You can't count on those guys every night. If nothing else, at least you know what Yao is going to give you every night (if he's healthy). If he could come in and give the team lost post scoring when the offense stagnates, that would be incredibly valuable. He might even be the best 6th man the league has seen in a long long time.

It might make sense down the line to revise his role, but there's no way this team is better off without him. You can talk about identity and chemistry and intangibles, but those things make a marginal difference. Yao is a tangible contributor. He's also the consummate team player, incredibly unselfish for a player of his status. There isn't a team in the league that would be better off without him.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Duncan doesn't play b2b, and many other players don't play b2b either. I don't see the train wreck coming for other teams. The Tmac stuff got old. Actually, I never believe Tmac killed the team chemistry either.

20. DaJet

DaJet Member

Again, the Duncan thing has been explained already.

The Spurs core group has been together for almost a decade and they know there system and have been with the same coach.

Duncan only recently has not played in b2b's.

We are a young, immature team right now and our team chemistry is very fragile. Nobody has played together with Yao for more than a year.