1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Ford Mock v 5.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by arif1127, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Vucevic would be a great fit for us, and we'd have a good core for the future in Vucevic, Patterson, Chase, Lee, and Lowry/Dragic. Very solid group of young players.

It's looking more unlikely that he will slide to 23.

Not sure if this is credible, but take it for what it's worth.

Vucevic had workouts with both the Knicks and the Sixers, and Chad Ford reported that both teams are interested in him, so this report makes sense. Knick fans are clamoring for Vucevic at 17, but we know that the Knicks never take players their fans want...

I was hoping for him and Klay Thompson, but looks like we would need to make a trade to get them both.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

With a real motor

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I was thinking Vucevic all the way with the 23rd.

Has his stock moved up this much?

4. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I'm surprise nobody has said anything about a Dorsey - Bismack comparison.

5. Seven

Dorsey is not the athlete Bismack is; although, I see what you're saying. Bismack is not a can't miss player by any means.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Doesn't sound bad in some ways,but mediocre defense at the 5 is the last thing that we need.

7. Seven

What's worse though, mediocre defensive center or no center at all.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

My only worry about biyombo is his age. I read reports of him possibly being 24-26 range

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Vucevic has shown an ability and willingness to improve, and we know how to develop big man.

I'm all for it.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

His wingspan and standing reach is great (wingspan identical to Howard & Oden and standing reach better than both :eek:). His face-up game is legit as he is a good shooter.

Good ppg and rebounding numbers in the PAC 10. I would love him at 23. I'm ok with reaching at 14 to ensure that we nab him.

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were talking about Golden State there, but the Rockets need those things too. If you can provide it for one team right away, you can do the same for another. And I would argue nobody needs those things more than the Rockets. Who else was starting a 6’5” center?

Dunking the ball is one skill Chuck Hayes doesn’t possess, so he’s already a +1 there. And did we really see much out of Thabeet in his two game cameo appearance to determine exactly how awful his offense is? I think people tend to forget that we saw him in two games… for a total of 4 minutes. In Chuck Hayes’ 5th year in the league, when he was our starting center for the entire year, he averaged 7.3 pts 9.4 reb 0.9 blk per 36 minutes. Thabeet’s per 36 minute average that same year was 8.5 pts 9.9 reb 3.6 blk. And that was his rookie season.

The Grizzlies didn’t keep him around because he was a horrible reminder of a squandered #2 pick. But for us, he’s a project that we don’t have to expect great things from. But that doesn’t mean he can’t have value.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Haven't seen much from anyone in this years draft - but watched the Vucevic videos and a few things looked good
    1. Left hand. He was able to get to his left hand and finish.
    2. Touch - seemed very soft of the glass
    3. Jump shot. It looked nice and he takes and makes shots away from the hoop

Stats are encouraging - 10rpg means he's "busy" in that regard.

Size looks good - but the combine numbers on his athleticism aren't fantastic.

What's he like defensively? I read that he's good laterally? Is that right?

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

I like him and I think he could be a nice addition, but he's certainly not our answer at the 5.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Don't want to create another therad for a mock, but Scott Howard Cooper, from nba.com, said 2 days ago:

Talking about McHale, he really likes skilled big guys. Motiejunas biggest strength as PF is possibly his passing and basket IQ, mixed with that size. In a draft like this and considering that he is elite talent (in this draft) I wouldn't rule him out at all.

But Cooper has done another mock, in which Leonard falls until 14.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/06/14/mock-draft-part-iii/index.html

What I don't see is the Warriors getting Singleton ahead of Leonard, but there it is.

15. Garner

Garner Member

I would be very happy with vucevic.

We have good depth everywhere except the SF (and we can fill that later in the off-season), but the C lacks drastically. If we are going to take a chance the 5 is where it needs to happen.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Singleton or Leonard @ 14 and then Vucevic @ 23! Would be awesome.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

LOVE Vucevic at 23 but even at 14 it would be just fine. The more I read about Morris, the more I like him for the Rockets.

18. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

I actually think Biyombo resembles that of Ibaka from a few years back. Long, super athletic, shot blocker, and great motor. with the same downsides of raw to non-existent offensive game. I like his work ethic, and u never know what can happen to on an offensive game if worked on enough. I seem to remember that Landry and Hill both couldnt hit that foul line to top of the arc jumper when they first came in, now they r both very solid at that shot. Only problem, is that if u try and put him and Patterson in the starting lineup, there is no real low post threat. Both are face up players. But can u imagine the rim protection :eek:

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Defense in the middle isn't always about athleticism. Yao wasn't the most mobile guy around, and pretty much look like clueless out there. Yet he anchored top 5 defenses year after year. 7 footers by their very nature can become good defenders if they work at it. Regardless of how their other measurables look.

Make no mistake, Vucevic will be a project and will be drafted based on projections than what he can do right now. As Carl Herrera pointed out, his dad was a pro. So his head should be screwed on correctly. Also keep in mind that McHale wants two bigs for his defense. So Vucevic doesn't have to be Dwight Howard all by himself in there. If Patterson's defense continues to develop, I see that combo working inside.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

We can probably get Vucevic with our second pick...