1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Carter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Aug 7, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Carter currently has the 6th highest slugging percentage in the AL, and 11th in all of baseball. Not 6th highest during his hot streak, but for the season.

His Slugging is higher than, among others . . .

Jose Bautista and Miguel Cabrera

I know slugging percentage is one "picked out" category, but damn

His OPS is 13th in the AL, 13th, for the year

If this guy was hitting in the middle of a legit lineup, his runs/rbi numbers would be close to the top of baseball also.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's also 3rd in HRs (4th in the majors). Being only 3 behind the other guys, he has a legit chance at the HR title.

#82 juicystream, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It went from cut Carter to Franchise Cornerstone!

4. htown387

htown387 Member

Nothing short of a remarkable turn around. Half the battle though was just getting to be more patient at the plate.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There is a lot of confirmation bias involved with Carter, numbers can be interpreted however you want to. A .770 OPS this day and age really isn't a bad number at all. When he was struggling it was really easy to blow that number off.

Now his OPS over the last 3 seasons have been .864/.770/.826. An .808 average, with .770 as a floor looks pretty damn good. Combine that with the eyeball test, he isn't just getting "lucky" his approach has changed and he is putting the ball in play at a higher clip over this stretch. This is a hot stretch though, you have to add that in. His HR rate and BABIP over this stretch are unsustainable, but his numbers for the season overall are sustainable.

6. tmacfor35

He's the black Barry Bonds.

7. tmacfor35

Honestly though, I don't think I am ready to call Carter anything yet? This new approach has seemed to really take his game to the next level. Incredible.

8. vince

vince Member

Baseball is a game of adjustments. Pitchers will exploit Carters weakness. So how Carter does againt the adjustment pitchers will use on him is important.

Some players make necessary adjustments to their approach. Others simply cant keep up with the MLB pitchers continuos modifications towards hitters.

I am not quite ready to call Carter a cornerstone, but it is fun watching.

On a side note, Altuve is stellar. I am starting to get convinced he is going to have staying power.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The .864 is from 260 PAs, though - it's a small sample size (67 games; his current hot streak covers 34 games). I don't think Chris Carter is ever going to post a .350 OB% over the course of an entire season.

And that remains the big concern with him: what can he do when he's not blasting HRs? Even during this stretch, he's not walking much (11 since July 1), which is not good and likely an indicator he won't be able to sustain.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As an aside, last night's game was the first 0-4 game Carter has had in his major league career without striking out.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Let's say, hypothetically, this isn't a streak and it is that he's something close to this player. Don't you think his walk rate will go up naturally? It doesn't appear opposing teams are convinced and are still pitching to him. At some point, if this continues, he'll see more pitches out of the zone and more IBBs...especially as we play more teams in the playoff race that can't afford losses (A's, Angels, Mariners, Yankees & Indians).

12. Buck Turgidson

Well, you sir have now blown my mind.

13. The Beard

Read yesterday that Javier Baez has struck out 4 times in a game 3 times already....and they said that Cal Ripken also did that . . .but Cal did it in his career!

14. bobrek

Springer has done it 4 times this season with the Astros.

15. The Beard

Yea, as bad as it is. . . .just kind of incredible that Rip only did it 4 times in his career

16. bobrek

I think the Astros got Strawberry 4 times in back to back games.

17. bobrek

18. Nook

Nook Member

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Carter is a good baseball player if you're a bad mlb team. He can succeed against bad pitching but would you ever want this guy up in the playoffs with runners on the base? I wouldn't. Give me a contact hitter.

20. Buck Turgidson

Not sure how he underachieved, he was one of the most badarse CF'ers I've ever seen (the late 80's with Cincy he just wrecked the Astros) , he had a short run of brilliance that turned into an 18 year career.