1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Carter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Aug 7, 2014.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He said Altuve isn't the only one.

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

An RBI a day keeps the naysayers away.

[​IMG]

The BABip should come down, but man... this has been such a great run to see.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Carter.... Is this really you?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All I can say is TWO STOLEN BASES?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I look at what the Angels got for Mark Trumbo, and hope Chris Carter could get a similar return.

6. tmacfor35

If Carter's new swing is legit, than you have to keep him.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And no one would know that better than the guys in the organization who would be making these decisions.

I hope he's for real and he sticks. Fun to watch of late.

8. tmacfor35

Guy has incredible pop. The same kind that Carlos Zambrano had in BP when he was with the Cubs(funny story behind that). Shorter swing, with some strong forearms can go a long way with a bat in hand.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think anybody has ever doubted that... its when he swings and doesn't make contact (or simply doesn't hit a HR) that has been his biggest problem.

At this point, it doesn't make sense to get rid of a guy who makes close to nothing, and is under club control for at least the next two years.

Anybody know why his BR page has him as a free agent not till 2019? seems like it should be 2016, given his debut was in 2010.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Then what could we get for Altuve?

Springer?

Keuchel?

Do we ever keep them, or just always deal them when we get a good enough offer of assets?

To me, it's definitely time to change the "let's see what we can get for him" mentality. We will never have the next Biggio, Bagwell, Oswalt if we always look to move the best players we have. I know teams like TB have proven you can win without ever keeping anyone, but I don't want to have to root for a "team" like that

Just my opinion

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree with that sentiment... but perhaps this team feels that none of these guys are the next "Biggio, Bagwell, Oswalt"... and will keep dealing till they find guys that are or have the potential to be.

12. juicystream

Altuve is 24 and looks like a star
    Springer is 24 and looks like Carter with speed & defense

Keuchel is 26 and having a career year. You explore his value.

Carter is 27 and is a low OBP guy that can't play defense. I'll sell high on a DH that can't get on base at a good rate.

Carter isn't Jeff Bagwell or Craig Biggio. This was a guy most people were ready to DFA a month ago.

13. juicystream

He was sent back to the minors his first 3 years. He's a Super 2 player. He'll get the next 4 years on arbitration.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I can't agree with the "Springer is 24 and looks like Carter with speed & defense." Springer is a better talent in terms of speed and defense. He is comparable in terms of strikeouts. I agree with those points.

Carter is a physical freak though. I don't think he will be Bagwell, obviously. At Carter's age Bagwell had already produced his best numbers of his career in the 1994 season (I believe he was 26--Carter is 27). His ceiling right now is Adam Dunn, who also hit his peak at 26-27. I would hope the Astros are committed to keeping a player of Adam Dunn's general caliber, strikeouts notwithstanding.

15. The Beard

Well this time last year very very few thought Altuve would he our long term 2B

An it's no so much about Carter for me, it's the trade em trade em mentality

I'm not down with being asset city, that's mainly it

Maybe I'm on my own there? If so that's cool too

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Adam Dunn's career OB% is .365; Chris Carter has a loooooooong way to go before he's in Adam Dunn's class.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

BTW, and the sample size is so very small but... Singleton is having a nice start to the month: .278/.350/.444/.794. It'd be nice if he builds on his last two weeks and finishes strong. A foundation of Altuve, Springer, Carter and Singleton would look mighty nice heading into 2015.

18. The Beard

Or we could shop Singleton while he is hot, lol

I'm kidding, it's a joke

19. The Beard

Well, just keep me off of the trade Carter bandwagon. This guy might be old by "Astros" standards, but he ain't an old man. And he is absolutely rippin the cover off it

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Carter might turn into Greg Vaughn