1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Broussard: Rockets will go after Andrew Bynum?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PrettyEdward, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea but J.J. would bring just as much offensively as would adding Smith. And at the end of the day _ OKC are the Big Boys on the block and Josh isn't going to do jack against Surge, Perk, and the other big bodies they have on the court... San Antonio tried that PnR crap against them in the playoffs last year and got ran off the court...

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that'd be correct as long as defense isn't a part of basketball.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No. He wouldn't, he'd be a bench player, how many minutes a game do you think he'd play? You are arguing a guy who might get 10 minutes a game would add more than a starter....that's just crazy talk.

4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

It's a risk worth taking, maybe sign him for a 2 year deal.

You guys are insane for thinking a lineup of Asik-J.Smith-Parsons-Harden-Lin is going to ever come close to competing for a title. We need to take risks and jump on opportunities.

5. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Actually defensively we get killed in the backcourt more than we do in the frontcourt. And we are still around the top 10 in rebounding because the guards help out on the boards.

But nevertheless, I don't see Morey making that move... We shall see...

6. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Harden came off the bench last year and averaged 30 mins a game. And like I said before, J.J. could even push Lin for the starting job and move him to the bench... A point guard in the backcourt with Harden who can knock down outside shots consistently and 3's as well... That would even increase Harden's production because no way they could leave J.J. open and roll the defense towards Harden. And in my opinion that helps the team greatly.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Even though Broussard is full of you know what, it wouldn't be entirely surprising if Morey has made a few calls to the 76er's to discuss possibilities of getting him for cheap at the deadline, or at least to guage whether or not he thinks they might move him for whatever they can get rather than resign him.

My opinion on him and the 76ers right now is that they probably will just hold onto him to see what he looks like when he comes back from injury after the all-star break. Maybe they can sign him on a large one or two year contract after this year... who knows, but they could decide to just cut ties with him now instead of risking losing him for nothing in the Summer if they feel like Houston will match or overbid to get him... They gave up alot to get him this Summer. I surely doubt they want to lose him for nothing.

Dont get me wrong, Im not advocating a max contract for Bynum or anything. The guys knees scare the crap out of me. However, if they can get him for the second half of the season this year at little expense, I would be interested to see what the Rockets can do in the short term, and potentially what they could work out this Summer.

If they have to let him walk to another team like Atlanta in the Summer, or he retires because of bad knees... oh well, you probably only gave up something like this to get him-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=bc9a23c

Rockets Out- Delfino, Aldrich, Patterson, Douglas, T. Jones, two 2nd round picks(via Knicks)
    Rockets In- Bynum, Wilkins, Ivy

76ers- First release Jeremy Pargo
    76ers Out- Bynum Wilkins, Ivy
    76ers In- Delfino, Aldrich, Patterson, Douglas, T. Jones, two 2nd round picks (via Knicks)

For the 76ers, getting a couple young players in Patterson/Jones could help with their youth movement.

Adding in a few solid vets like Delfino, Douglas, Aldrich(if you can call him a vet) help in making that push for the 8th seed this year, and all 3 are on expiring contracts except Delfino(who has a team option for next year).

Its not a great trade for the 76ers considering they gave up Igoudala & Vucevic to get Bynum, but its really not that bad for moving a player that you aren't going to sign long term anyways, and getting close to 7 million in cap relief, a few draft picks, and some young talent doesn't hurt. They could do way worse... he could walk to Houston this Summer in free agency.

-For the Rockets, they get to tryout the second best center in the NBA for the last 30 games of the season who can share minutes with Asik to lower risk of further injury, and you now own his bird rights going into the Summer in the case that he looks healthy enough to sign long term at that point.

Losing Patterson, and Jones... does that really hurt that much long term?... Look, you cant have 6 young PF on your roster long term. At some point 2 or more are going to have to be moved in the next few months. Its only a question of when.

Losing Delfino, Douglas, and Aldrich... look, most likely none of those guys will be Rockets next year anyways. The fear of losing Delfino's 3 point shooting is a little bit ridiculous. I love the guy, but you cannot lose sight of the longterm future you are trying to build.

PG: Lin, Beverly, Ivy
    SG: Harden, Wilkins
    SF: Parsons, Anderson
    PF: Morris, D-Mo, White
    C: Bynum, Asik, Smith

That team has amazing potential. Also, Asik could be a huge trade asset this Summer if you decide to go with Bynum long term. They could easily turn him into another all-star level player to round out Houston's roster to contend.

Just a thought.

#147 dobro1229, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that's all I needed to hear from you, thanks for your input. Let's just say I strongly disagree.

9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Fair enough, but I'd like to hear your case.

I see no 2nd scorer. I see a good but one-dimensional C. I see an average PG at best. I see a great role-player at SF. I see a good but inefficient PF who has peaked.

It's still a nice squad with some growth left, and may be a solid playoff team, but we need a player equal to, very close to, or better than Harden to push us to contender status (plus some added rotation pieces).

Bynum may or may not be that guy, and I understand the weariness towards him, due to his injury history. What I don't understand is how people can be okay with a roster with a 2nd round ceiling.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you remember the games where Patrick Patterson wasn't completely worthless? The Rockets were pretty amazing in those games despite being the youngest team in the league. Imagine if they had a PF who could do that every game AND get more rebounds and play better defense than Patterson ever dreamed of. That would be what it would be like to have Josh Smith on the Rockets. The current squad hasn't even reached their prime yet and they have a black hole at the PF position, yet they are still a playoff team, that says a lot. Harden is already the best SG in the NBA, Parsons looks to have a huge upside and potentially be a VERY good role player, Lin is an average PG with some upside, and Asik is already one of the best centers in the league when it comes to rebounding and defense. Add a star PF like Josh Smith and that team is a championship contender for years to come.

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This sort of echo's my thoughts other than the notion that Patterson is inefficient. I actually do think Patterson is efficient at what he does, but he's never going to be more than a solid/versatile PF. And we all know Morey can find solid players in his sleep even over in Europe.

If Bynum is out there in trade talks next week, are the Rockets really going to giving up that much for him? Are we really worried about giving up Patterson or a rookie that is buried on the bench?

I mean are we really thinking that Patterson, Terrence Jones, a few 2nd round picks, and expirings are really going to set this team back if the Rockets move those pieces to get him?

I understand people's concerns for locking him up long term with his health concerns, but thats why you trade for him now to at least give it a try. Its a very low risk gamble IMO for extremely high upside.

The greatest sin that Morey can make right now is thinking this team is way better than it really is, and not taking a gamble on another true franchise changing player if there is a chance out there to snag one. In Bynums case, it might be so low risk that it would be dumb for the Rockets not to at least give it a chance.

13. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I'd be ok with trading some PFs and expirings to pickup Bynum or signing him in the offseason. One of our greatest trade assets right now HAS to be Asik. If you get Bynum and he shows some health then put Asik on the trade block and try and pick up a good stretch 4 (ala Ryan Andersen). I'm sure Asik on the NOH would be great and they would probably want some room at that PF spot anyway with Davis developing. That is why I am all for going Dwight or Bynum as it gives us a good trade asset in Asik. I'm not sure I want Asik fumbling it up on the offensive end long term. It hurt to watch Yao doing it a few years ago and now we have another center with hands made of stone. Also, Asik is not a great shot blocker, he doesn't really scare opposing teams coming into the paint. Bynum and Dwight are both shot blockers that if they get a couple blocks in the 1st quarter it changes the rest of the game.

We still need a starting caliber PF and a backup C, injury concerns or not, bringing in Dwight or Bynum will open up trade opportunites which will hopefully bring us a starting PF and backup C.

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

A few things:

1) I think you're selling Patterson short. Yes, he's been completely worthless on the glass, but he's still BY FAR our best mid-range shooter and consequently, the #1 recipient of Harden's (and Lin's) penetration dishes, as Asik can't catch a pass. Defensively he's not good, but his DRtg is virtually equal to every other Rockets starter not named Asik.

2) I think you're overrating Josh Smith. His bpg/spg numbers make his defensive impact seem greater than it is. He'll make some plays, but he's undersized at the 4 who tends to gamble. Not to mention he's an overall average post defender. Lets not forget he's a god-awful shooter who still shoots a ton of jumpers...making him an overall inefficient offensive player (see his poor 49% TS).

3) People overrate growth between 24ish to 28ish. Players naturally get smarter, but less players actually grow statistically than you would think. I do think our chemistry will grow if we keep this group together, but I think we can upgrade at the PG, and we shouldn't avoid upgrading at the C, even if Asik is playing well.

We're not the Lakers, and we won't get shots every summer at every big star on the trade/FA market. If we get the chance to grab a player around Harden's caliber, we need to take it, regardless of position.

15. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I was referring to Josh Smith, as many users' hypothetical lineup is Asik-Smith-Parsons-Harden-Lin

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think in Bynum's case you really won't know until it is too late. The months left in this season are probably not enough to really determine if he will be healthy long term. I hope the Rockets stay away from Bynum.

17. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Bynum would be good, but doesnt he have attitude problems like Dwight?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah but that doesn't matter, if you can get a great player like Bynum or Howard you ignore the fact that they are cancers in the locker room and that they are always hurt.....

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I don't know where you got the idea that Howard is always hurt. Before his season-ending injury last year, he was one of the most durable players in the league.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Before his injury in 2006, Yao Ming was one of the most durable players in the league. Crazy how things can change due to injury.