1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Bosh: Versus Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 5, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

He may look mostly at stats, but he looks at much more useful stats than those posted in this thread.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

lol...white chocolate.

Do people still call him that and for how long? I mean will he be white chocolate in his 40's? 50's? Will it be written in his obituary?

random, i know.

#22 pmac, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think "star" might be a stretch, but agree with your premise. SAR was a great player at his peak. One who would fit on the Rockets, for sure.

I'd guess Monta Ellis would be today's guard version of SAR. And I'd agree that Monta has his faults, seems to be a me-first player, has inflated stats due to the system, you'd rather have Curry, etc, etc....but, with all that said, Monta is still a very very good player, who could be an integral part of a championship team in the right situation. In my opinion.

And all that said, I think Bosh is certainly the better player than SAR.

Seriously, how quickly we forget that the reason that Grizzlies team made the playoffs was because they had some talent....they reason they consistently got swept was because it wasn't enough talent.

In the history of professional team sports, there are very few examples of star players who by themselves lead their teams, on a consistent basis, to performance above and beyond what you would otherwise expect given the supporting talent. The majority of teams perform at expectation levels, some their star player lifts them up, and some their star player actually holds them back. But most teams get as far as the team, as a whole, lets them get.

Hakeem took his team above and beyond in the championship years. Jordan did, in the sense that they won 6 titles - but even then, those teams were so stacked, they should have won a few. One could argue Dirk has held his team back - great great player, plays exceptionally well in the playoffs offensively, but his style and relative lack of defense has been a detriment to consistent overall team playoff success.

But generally, the Grizzlies got as far as they did not because Gasol or Battier led them, but because they were a somewhat better than average collection of talent led by a experienced, smart coach. Bosh's Raptors have gotten as far as they have because they've generally been Chris Bosh surrounded by a random collection of average talent led by completely unexceptional coaching. I do knock Bosh for not "willing his team" to better results on his own - but again, those types of players are few and far between.

3 people like this.
  4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Good post, this is what I was trying to portray in my earlier post when I brought up the Gasol comparison, but didn't quite follow through with the explanation that you did. I mentioned Gasol because he had a rep of being soft etc, and hadn't achieved <i>much</i> success in his career before going to the Lakers. That is waaaay in the past now. Bosh is in a similar situation, though with even worse teams talent wise and definitely a far inferior coaching staff than Gasol's former team.

The Rockets, however, present a situation similar to Gasol and the Lakers. Not only do we have an excellent coaching staff, we have far superior talent than any team Bosh's ever stepped on the court with. Here is to hoping, that if we are to get him, the results are similar.

5. PointForward

PointForward Member

Did you just say Swift? Freaking Stromile Swift? "in his prime"? this is a joke right? Shane Battier? the same Shane "intangibles" Battier? the same one that plays for us? Jason Williams? are you kidding me?

Yeah, I'll happily take Hedo, Calderon, Bargnani and Jarrett Jack any day of the week over that pile of trash Gasol carried with him to the playoffs and in the west, no less.

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

About what I would expect for a Vince Young homer...

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Which is why you're not a GM.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You're forgetting coaching. Gasol didn't carry a team to the playoffs all by himself. A lot had to do with the unit that was put together and coached by all-time pros like Hubie Brown and Mike Fratello. What have Toronto coaches contributed except routinely being the worst defensive team in the league?

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You obviously heavily discount the past in favor of the present. The current Bonzi, Williams, and Battier are not the same from 6 years ago.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Last time I checked, Sam Mitchell won coach of the year in Toronto

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

So did Mike Brown. Does anyone think he's that great of a coach. And coach of the year D'antoni's doing such a great job now too.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So did Avery Johnson, the best coach in the known universe......

[​IMG]

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Shane helped them a lot but if Gasol hadn't been there,they wouldn't have gone beyond 30 wins.

14. blackistan

blackistan Member

Shareef was always on a bad team throughout his career that is why most people never heard about him. If that wasn't the case he would get more attention and would be way more known than he is now and I would take him over bosh since he could play on the wing and would be way better than martin.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Comparing a 20 pt 6-8 reb player with a 25 pt 10-11 reb 1 bl player is dumb.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Way to cherry pick stats there.

Rocket River
    :grin:

17. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why he included the stats. SAR actually had better rebounding numbers than most of us thought. His stats were pretty much on par with Bosh's except the FG% category. Your statement here is really not on point.

I think that these two are pretty good for comparison sakes, but Bosh is pretty much on another level. SAR was pretty good in his prime, but he was 6'9, had short arms, played average or below average defense, and wasn't really efficient on offense for a PF. Bosh on the other hand is 6' 11, has a longer wingspan, more athletic, plays at least above average defense, and is more efficient on offense.

1 person likes this.
  18. BetterThanEver

SAR had 1 blip, where he averaged 10 rebs. Bosh has averaged 10-11 rebs has only had 1 season of the last 4 seasons averaging less than 10 rebounds in the last 4 seasons. Sure, we can point to Bosh's first 2 or 3 seasons and say he is the same as SAR.

We can also say Bosh has gotten better than his rookie season, and look at the player we would get. We aren't getting raw 1st or 2nd year Bosh. We are getting a highly develop player.

19. BetterThanEver

So says the guy who left off the most recent season's stats for Bosh, but shows 7 seasons for SAR.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea. . I pulled them from the same sight
    and thought it had this season on it.

I picked SAR's 1st seven seasons.
    so we could see them at the relative same point in their careers

Rocket River