1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Bosh Hospitalized in Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Celebriduck, Feb 19, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chris Bosh update: The problem is actually blood clots in both lungs. Further testing is being done. He's currently resting in hospital.</p>&mdash; Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/status/568843897935409154">February 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But that contract doesn't get wiped off the books as far as the cap is concerned, does it? Isn't it just a partial exemption for an injured player?

3. NotChandlerParsons

I'm sure they do. Stoudemire was the only player unhealthy enough to not get insurance in recent times.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Spoelstra is wrong. P.E. is always a life threatening condition. Bosh will be on blood thinners for a long time. Here is wishing for a speedy recovery.

1 person likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm certainly not a doctor, but my reading of it suggests you're correct. Particularly in an instance where it's a pro athlete and inactivity is not to blame for the clots. It's a genetic thing...and he's likely going to be taking blood thinners likely for the rest of his life to prevent this from happening again.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe it depends on your insurance, health, wealth, access to good medicine... maybe millionaires aren't the ones pulling the death toll statistics downward.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Serena had a laceration in her foot from glass - tore a ligament. After surgery- while recovering she was not as mobile as b4 obviously which increases risk of clotting - hence her PE.

I'm thinking that Dwight Howard and Blake G. Should be on baby aspirin regimen until they resume full activity.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What a deplorable sentiment.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Quality of medical care does make a difference, but P.E. is still considered to be a life threatening condition, regardless. If you are diagnosed with blood clots in the legs, doctors may still send you home with blood thinning medications. However, if your clots are in the lungs (pulmonary arteries) you will be told that you need to be admitted to an ICU unit, and one would be a fool to go against such medical advice.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I hate him for not coming to the Rockets, but always thought he was a pretty intelligent and cool dude otherwise, not to mention underrated as a PF. I hope he gets well soon and this isn't a career-ender or anything. Scary stuff.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I had a friend who got a PE while doing some backpacking (at about 11,000 ft). That was most definitely life threatening, and his wife had to find a way to get him off that mountain as quickly as possible. Luckily, they were both trained in emergency medicine and knew what was happening to him.

The kicker is this: he was a triathlete at the time, in incredible shape, and his doctors said those in peak physical condition are often more prone to PE for some reason. That's why I'm sharing the CSB story here, since I'm wondering if its relevant to poor Bosh.

His career might be over. Hard to say at this point.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There are still decent people in the world (shocking, I know!). No need to discourage them.

Hope this doesn't end Bosh's career. Even players I don't like should go out on their own terms.

1 person likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Glad he's doing well.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

High altitude is an independent risk factor for PE. Why? No idea.

15. dragician

dragician Member

Lying is bad to your lungs.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My coworker has/had a major blood clot (not pulmonary) and has been away from work for two months, with no return date set. Blood clots are scary, pulmonary that much more so.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not all pulmonary embolisms are life threatening, and most do not require intensive care. Standard of care is immediate therapeutic levels of anti-coagulation with long term anti-coagulation because some clots persist. Fortunately not all patients need to be hospitalized for this portion. (Standard and most common is hospitalization with IV heparin until oral warfarin is therapeutic, although insurance companies want patients to use self injectable lovenox from home which works)

The majority of clots, however, are not identifiable after 7 days of therapy. The drugs the patients take prevent the clots from getting bigger while allowing the body to dissolve it over time.

The big question becomes why did Bosh get a clot. If he has a genetic disorder (unlikely) or an autoimmune condition (unlikely) he will need lifelong therapy.

18. MD_in_Training

Even if he doesn't have a readily identifying reason for having a PE, he may still need lifelong anti-coagulation. There are studies that show that if your d-dimer if elevated one month after discontinuation of anticoagulation in the setting of an unprovoked clot, you would benefit from lifelong therapy. This may be him...

19. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

I remember Hakeem getting a blood clot in his leg and he had to wear a special stocking and take blood thinners for the season. It was only that one season and he never cropped up again. Not sure if this is the same, but not life threating and career ending are not the same.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Does that mean it is career threatening?