1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Choke City Returns........

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

the nationals were never the favored team. The Astros are the better team and everyone knows it.

lw17 likes this.
  2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

It’s baseball though, crazy s*** happens and in small sample sizes you can win just by having the better luck. Can’t really say the same about football or basketball where talent prevails 95% of the time.

Edit: Plus after there 19-30 start, Nationals were as good as anyone.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He’s just hedging himself so either way he comes out “right”. If we go on to win it will be that response, if we lose it will be “told everyone they were chokers”.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The sarcasm was about the first 8 games of the season......in Tampa. The reason this thread continue was someone wanted it to continue for the "anti-jinx" thread. It's not about being right....It is about the Astros doing their job and winning. All that matters.

5. msn

msn Member

On paper, and barely. Anyone who thought the Astros should roll through them with four blowouts hasn't been paying attention.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

vegas thought we’d roll right?

7. BonziWellsGOAT

This thread is 2 years old and almost nobody realizes lmao

8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

"It is about the Astros doing their job and winning"

That's my issue - the level of entitlement on these boards is nearing Warriors/Patriots levels. I'm not necessarily even saying that is what you meant by the above quote and honestly haven't even read through this thread enough to make a solid opinion on your or others beliefs.

That said, the overall vibe I've gotten throughout these playoffs is that we are some incredible super team and the only way we are going to lose is if we "choke"...it just seems like no one wants to give credit to our opponents that we've faced thus far and even the last couple of years for that matter. We've we went through some TOUGH teams in 2017, again in 2018 and now this year perhaps even tougher. That Rays team was the toughest draw out of any of the playoff teams (including the wild card ones who were ousted) outside of the Nationals, and even then they weren't far behind them, if at all.

It just annoys me that people want to label our guys "chokers" when we lose a couple playoff games to these tough opponents, and it isn't just these boards, I've gotten it from all of my friends and family who are big Astros fans. Even if we go on to lose the series, I'll be proud of this team for not quitting and in my book this season has already been a success - anything more is just an added bonus to me now. What they've accomplished these past three years is insanely tough to do these days in baseball...we've won 100+ games in 3 straight years, witnessed an incredible WS run with some improbable victories while taking down three incredibly tough teams (FYI we were +145 against LAD in the WS that year, the Nats were around +195 against us so not that huge of a difference here) and even last year made it to the ALCS where injuries finally caught up to us and guys like Altuve and McCullers were giving their all with significant injuries.

Finally, it just irks me because all you have to do is look at our past teams in the 90s and early 00s - it's humorous some people here won't admit those teams were "chokers" (at least in comparison to this current team). Then you look at teams like the Cubs who fell off quick after a WS, the BoSox this year, the Dodgers or any other team you want to name. Every MLB team would switch rosters (and achievements over the past three years) with us in a heartbeat...so all I'm saying is I think a lot of Astros fans have become spoiled and don't realize how fortunate we all are in that we may be witnessing a dynasty in the making, and one could even argue we're pretty close already given today's era.

9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

-220 is not "rolling" anyone...serious question, do you bet sports often?

10. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

This thread makes me feel embarrassed to be an Astros fan on Clutchfans. The fact that it's still active and not locked is a black eye to an otherwise fine online community.

It's time for me to place this troll/OP on ignore and refrain from reading this thread any further. Win or lose, I'll be proud of the Astros. They are forever champions to the hearts of true Houston fans. Not chokers at the first sign of adversity. This city & team deserve better than what this thread has to offer. Peace out & go stros!

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Never

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I BELIEVE CLUTCH CITY IS BACK!

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Alright in that case just to give you a comparison...the Texans are -300 favorites over the Raiders today. The Packers are on the road against KC (yes Maholmes is out) and are -220. NE over Cleveland, who many chose as a SB contender, are -550 favorites.

Regardless of what others, who clearly don't bet sports or at least have a clue what they are doing, might try to tell you on this board...we aren't THAT big of favorites over Washington. Yes, we are the "biggest favorites in the WS ever" but the fact that a -220 series line is the biggest ever shows you how tough it is to win in baseball both on the field and betting sports. I saw someone try to say we were bigger favorites than the Warriors have been...completely untrue. While KD was on GS, every season they OPENED as bigger or similar favorites as we are over Washington...and that's the first game of the season I'm talking about.

Edit: Also, the lines set by Vegas aren’t indicative of their views on who they believe will win, etc. They’re set with the intentions of trying to get an even, or close to even, amount of money wagered on both sides so they’re not exposed to a potentially substantial loss depending on the outcome. The lines move based on what the public believes and the amount of money they put on each side. I think everyone would agree the public is wrong more often than they are right...

#453 Htown Stros, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  14. msn

msn Member

As explained very well by the other poster, the Vegas odds are not a credible source when comparing two teams, as the goal isn't comparing the teams so much as breaking even on who they predict will bet what.

No, the Astros are not significantly better than the Nationals. Better on paper, but not so much that losing to them should be considered a "choke".

The guy mentioning entitlement is so right. Let's not turn into Yankees fans, please.

Htown Stros likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

i disagree. I think the astros are the better team. Relax and let people root the way they want. Nobody feels “entitled” stop with the drama.
    Seriously, just try to enjoy the game and understand that people may feel differently than you.

I do believe that a loss to the Nationals would be a disappointment. The Astros are the better team.

lw17 likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

this is ridiculous. Please calm down. You are really sounding like a mr. Knowitall.

My lord!

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

what got him finally banned? I remember threading a kid wasn’t enough.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"Oh lighten up, Francis!".

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bobbythegreat was banned for awhile over that attacking a kid with autism. He came back, but I think he left on his own.

20. msn

msn Member

When did I try to impede anyone "rooting the way they want"?

I get that you disagree. It's a discussion board. Did I instruct you to change
    When did I try to impede anyone "rooting the way they want"? I'm sorry if it offends you, but in my view, calling your team "chokers" points to a belief that the team is entitled to there championship. Why else would it be a choke?

Thanks for the advice. Seriously: this is a discussion board. I am enjoying the games just fine. If your feelings are hurt by another person's view, perhaps you should take your own advice, back away from the keyboard, and try to enjoy the games and understand that other people may feel differently than you.

I can appreciate that position. I don't completely agree, and it would be an interesting discussion. My issue was the ppl crying "choke".

Htown Stros likes this.