1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Choke City Returns........

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

I just would like to point out that this is what you said on October 31 of last year:

Darvish will pitch in Game 7....pissed off at Yuli....and probably throw a no-hitter.

That didn't really come even slightly close to happening now, did it?

Nook likes this.
  2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I hate to say it but I don't feel the magic this year. I started to feel it in the Cleveland series. Game 1 I started to believe. But tonight. Wow. Just a pasting on your home field. What makes me nervous is last years studs are not doing much at all. Jose isn't playing near his 2017 level. Madison Bumgarner is a better hitter than Carlos Correa. Yuli, aside from the one cheap home run, has provided nothing in the way of protection from Bregman. Marwin has cooled (he could not keep that pace up). Also Tyler White was fools gold. Did we honestly think he was going to stay tat hot? A career minor league player?

Aside from JV, Cole and Pressley I am not sure what to grab onto for hope. I am open to suggestions on what I am missing.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No it didn't. However, Red Sox are not the mental midget that Darvish is.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Maybe they won't repeat but calling this team chokers or "small" is asinine. Their 3 and 4 hitters from last year are playing injured. McCann, who I believe started every game at catcher last postseason is a shell of his former self after his injury. And they are playing against a 108 win team...it shouldn't and won't be easy.

BruceAndre likes this.
  5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

[Premium Post]

Delete Thread. Ban OP.

Madmanmetz and marks0223 like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

So basically when they win, you feel it. When they lose, you don't. Brilliant.

SWTsig, Nook, Cold Hard and 3 others like this.
  7. Major

Major Member

if you keep saying a team will fail, you'll be right eventually. And you'll think you were smart, but really, it just made you the annoying "the sky is falling" idiot.

davidio840 and SWTsig like this.
  8. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Not exactly. Felt fine after game 2. But have been concerned about some key batters all postseason. They were just picked up by the likes of Marwin.

I still think they can win this. They have the talent. But someone needs to wake the offense up.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did you still feel the "magic" after games 4 and 5 of the ALCS last year?

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Bregman may win ALCS MVP in a losing effort ... just like Mike Scott

11. Buck Turgidson

You pretty much nailed it with this one and the post after.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jackie Bradley faints

13. payaso

payaso Member

Well, if MVP stands for 'Most Vexing Player', he's in like Flynn...
    WTF is up with poking a guy whose stuff won't let him stay down for long?
    A mid-90's cutter? Huh?!!?!?
    Out there somewhere, Mariano Rivera is crying tears of envy...

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, yes. That's the nature of sports. Although there are exceptions -- your team can lose a nail biter while fighting valiantly and providing hope for the future; or it can win despite its lousy play. This is speaking generally.

Yesterday, the Astros were just flat. There was nothing (or very little) inspiring about their play. I hate to say it but ….

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This is true. They win today, then win Thursday, and we have a new series. But those seem to be some big "if's" right now.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Losing in the ALCS to a team that won 108 games is hardly choking. This is a pretty f*cking good team on the other side.

I feel good with Morton on the mound tonight. Win tonight and it's a best 2 out of 3 to win the pennant, with Verlander and Cole on the mound for games 5 and 6. I'm good with that. Go 'stros!!!!

SWTsig likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No sh*t. That's the nature of sports. It's all a bunch of ifs. I've heard people actually even wager money on it. It's wacky!

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Oh I would agree it's not choking. The thread title is erroneous in that sense. It's just that -- as someone else here said -- there doesn't seem to be the magic that we had last year.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

FYI, the Red Sox were pasted on their home field in game 1 and, you know, have since won two in a row.

Repeat after me, it's important: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MOMENTUM IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Every game is unique and different because each day is a new pitcher. It's not *good* to be down 2-1 - but win these next two and the Astros are fine. Hell, win *1* of these next two and I'll gladly take my chances *with this team* in Fenway.

20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I know there is no big mo in baseball. Today is a tall order. Charlie Morton is the X factor. We need a good one from him. Need some offense. We win it and go 2-2 with JV and COLE waiting in the wings I will feel a lot better. You know Cole wants back out there in the worst way.