1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chiropractic: Your Opinion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketFan007, Feb 6, 2007.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'm currently in the middle of my first trimester of chiropractic college, and I was just looking to get the general public opinion of chiropractic. I was surprised to learn that only about 10% of Americans have actually visited a chiropractor. The poll is pretty self explanatory, but I'd also like to hear your experience with chiropractic care, good or bad, and also if you've never seen a chiropractor, whether you would ever consider being treated by one. Thanks.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Sorry. I'm afraid they would make my bad back worse. I'm not taking any chances.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think I'd ever go because I'm scared that I'd clinch at the wrong time and something would be permanently damaged. I can't even relax enough to receive a massage or back rub. That said, we met a couple on our honeymoon and the husband was in his last year at some chiropractic school up in Missouri. My wife has constant neck and/or upper back pain and he could adjust her to where she felt great for months at a time. I tend to have back pain really bad once a month or so, so I really wish I could relax enough to go.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I love going to the Chiro. I'd go every week if I could. RM95, you'd get used to it if you went.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think chiropractors are helpful with back problems that are mostly due to "misalignment" issues.

However, in my experience, and the experience of others I know, they can cause great harm if you have a disc problem (rupture).

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I respect your field and I would definitely go if I had to money/back problems. I know of quite a few people in the medical field that don't, though.

I find it interesting.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I had been dealing with some serious pain in my lower right rear flank for about 6 months. Woke up with it one day and it was so bad I had to get my mom to make a special call to her chiropractor in order to get me in right away. She discovered a pinched nerve between two of my lower vertebrae, and I started receiving treatments/adjustments 3 times a week for the next couple of months.

My back did generally feel better, but it turns out that the pain in my flank is not caused by the pinched nerve, but is actually the result of a swollen kidney. I've been to a couple of different doctors and gotten an MRA and CT scan of it, but there have been no conclusions on what is causing it. It just flairs up and hurts like a b**** every once in a while, normally for about 24 hours at time. In fact, I'm in the middle of an episode right now :(

Didn't mean to babble, but to answer your question, I have been many times and generally feel better after. I would go back, and as a matter of fact I am going again tomorrow afternoon.

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I had horrible headaches when I was a kid that stemmed from a car accident that basically f*cked my back up good.

The intensity of the headaches was debilitating. A chiropractor more or less saved me from not being able to function.

In other words, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i said yes i'd consider it. But I haven't before.

It'd surely depend some on the cost. (Unless it was a last resort and I was in a lot of chronic pain or whatever)

10. aznhobo1

aznhobo1 Member

are you at tcc?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I see a really good one in Austin that was recommended by a MD. The MD wasn't my own doctor, who thinks they are the spawn of the devil. I've been seeing him for years (the chiropractor), and sometimes I think I should try a different one, just because I know they use different techniques and so on. Some are excellent, some are good, and some should be horse whipped (IMO). I wouldn't go to a chiropractor unless one was recommended to me by someone I trusted. I think people should consider them if they have neck and/or back pain, because a good one can really help. I've had back surgery, by the way. My chiropractor hasn't cured me, and I don't expect him to, but he has helped a lot when I've been in really bad shape. My wife sees him once or twice a year, when tension at work gives her a terribly painful stiff neck. One visit and she's good for another 6 months.

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

CAn anyone recommend one in the southwest area? I'm back to contracting so I don't have medical benefits at the moment. How much would one usually run. I'm worried about some semi-chronic upper back pain

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

anyone know what a cheap decent hot tub would cost?

14. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

heres the deal about going to a chiropractor: they dont heal you, they just make you feel better for a while, then your back goes to the way it was, and you have to go back to see them. why do you think they all give the first visit for free, etc? its because what they do is not a permanent solution to whatever problem you are having. it sure does feel good, but its more of a scam than anything.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's simply not true. Sure, there are some unethical chiropractors (as there are unethical MDs), and I wouldn't think of visiting one who had a "for free" promotion (that's just me), but you couldn't paint with a broader brush.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How many years of schooling does is chiropactor school? Just wondering.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I first went to a chiropractor in the summer of 1981. I had had disc problems for ten years at that point and really hurt myself digging up my backyard. At the point I went to see the chiropractor I was "bedridden" for three weeks and I was slated for back fusion surgery in 10 days.

Someone suggested a chiropractor and I thought "Why not?"

I went the first time and felt a little better. I went back, I think, four more times and felt better each time.

I checked into the hospital for my laminectomy and after dinner cancelled my surgery. I think my Orthopaedic Surgeon was pissed... duh. I told him that I was getting relief and I felt obligated to see how far the chiropractor's help would take me.

That was 1981 and I've never had the surgery. At this point I go every 5-6 weeks and get an adjustment as preventive medicine. My back feels as solid as it has ever felt.

My first doctor was an old school guy. I refer to them as "fold, spindle and mutilate" treatments... but they worked!

He retired all of a sudden and I stumbled upon an article in the paper about a new chiropractor in town who had been working for Martina Navratilova on the tennis tour for a couple of years. She's been my chiropractor since the late 80's I reckon.

For those of you who might be squeamish, there is a methodology in chiropractics called Activator Method. My doctor adopted it into her practice in the early 90's.

I came in for a treatment once and she asked me if I'd like to try it. After she explained what it was I thought, "You gotta be kidding?" But I tried it and got the same kind of result.

Being treated with the Activator Method is like being tapped by a pencil where it hurts. It's nothing but it helps... just like getting folded used to.

She uses lots of other techniques, i.e. accupuncture. It's all good. There is a website where you can search and find a chiropractor who has been trained in this methodology.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN HURT BY A CHIROPRACTOR.

18. giddyup

I found the search site that I referenced: www.Activator.com

19. giddyup

In my case I have one leg that is a bit longer than the other. This keeps pushing my back out of alignment and putting pressure on my disc. Almost 40 years of rec basketball didn't help much.

There is no way to avoid the recurrence of my problem but I won't blame the chiropractor on that.

As Deckard said, there are bad professionals across the board but my doctor is very well-trained (3 years of professional schooling) and continuing education. She brings relief to me every time I go to see her-- without fail.

Sometimes it takes four visits... which is why I started going to see her every 5-6 weeks instead as a preventive measure. It works out to about the same number of annual visits but without the pain, suffering and time lost to productivity.

20. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but I found this interesting..

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1210/video/watchonline.htm

Click on the drop down under "Adjusting the Joints" and scroll up to "Drop that shoulder" to watch it from the beginning.. Makes you think..