1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese National Team 98 Athletes in Action 85

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The size of Yao's legs never ceases to amaze me. Those things are tree trunks :eek:

2. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Nice recap, thanks for your effort, crash5179.

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

How did Yi Jian Lian do?? He is a VERY interesting prospect and I hope the Rockets can draft him when/if he decides to join the Nba Draft.

4. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/062804dnspoglobal.379d1.html

Crowd favorite Yao scores 18 in victory

11:41 PM CDT on Sunday, June 27, 2004

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

The estimated 2,500 fans – a large portion of Asian descent – showed its love for the Chinese National team. Particularly when Yao Ming was announced during pregame introductions.

Yao and the Chinese team played its first of four area exhibition games Sunday night, defeating Athletes In Action, 98-85, at SMU's Moody Coliseum. The 7-5 standout had 18 points, 10 rebounds and one blocked shot but battled a minor left foot injury for most of the game and didn't play in the fourth quarter.

"Yao was fine. I probably should have played him more," Chinese National team coach and Mavericks assistant Del Harris said. "Once I saw we were going to win the game, there was no use putting him back in."

The Chinese team trailed by three at halftime but went on a 30-10 third-quarter run to take a commanding lead. The team will play the Mavericks summer league team Thursday at TCU.

The game coincided with the 2004 Global Games. Harris coached against Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson, whose Athletes In Action team had several players who have played overseas and on the minor-league professional circuit. Justin Brown led the team with 21 points.

dfw.com (registration required)

Global Games Notes

Injured Yao helps Chinese win debut

By John Miller

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - It was Donnie vs. Del, only Del had a slight advantage with a Yao.

Yao Ming and the Chinese national team, coached by Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris, made their playing debut in an exhibition game in front of nearly 2,500 fans at Moody Coliseum on Sunday, the first day of the 2004 Global Games. The Chinese pulled away in the second half for a 98-85 victory against Athletes in Action, coached by Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

Yao, who saw limited action and did not play in the fourth quarter, scored 18 points, hitting 6 of 9 shots and 6 of 7 free throws. He grabbed 10 rebounds and blocked a shot.

Midway through the first quarter, Yao left the game with an injury to a toe on his left foot, but he returned with 7:32 left in the second quarter.

"I probably should have played him more," Harris said, "but he got his foot injured, and once I saw we were going to win the game, there wasn't any point in putting him back in. He's all right."

Yao scored nine points and had six rebounds in the second quarter after returning to the game, but China trailed 47-44 at halftime.

China outscored Athletes in Action 30-10 in the third quarter to pull away to a 74-57 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Athletes in Action center Justin Brown, who spent much of the game guarding Yao, led his team with 21 points.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Smegg I am going to at least one more game and maybe 2. I really want to see the Chinese National Team and Yao play the Mavericks summer league team. I think the Chinese team will look a lot better for that one all though the Mavs summer league team will probably be a lot better than Athletes in Action. It took Yao and the rest of the Chinese National Team about a half to start looking comfortable together on the court.

The best way I can describe Yao's performance was that he looked like he was playing in his first game in a couple of months, but he looked very sharp in the 3rd quarter.

6. crash5179

I'm not sure what number he is. Numbers 8, 9 and 20 really stood out to me. Great passing and team work. They are not quick enough to break the full court press by dribling through it but got a lot of easy baskets by passing through it and making easy lay ups because Athletes in Action were out of position due to there full court press.

Number 9 really got hot in the 4th quarter and was making a lot of shots.

7. Matador

Matador Member

You aren't the blond guy are you? :D

[​IMG]

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Quick question. Where are the defenders in that picture? did they just all stay out of the lane? lol...and Yao looks so determined to dunk the ball with no one there or just take a big dump :D

9. crash5179

Justin Brown looks like he can really score. Nice post moves that included fade a way's, jumpers and hook shots. Not much defense and rebounding though.

10. crash5179

There was one play where Yao beat everyone down on the break and finished it off with a dunk. That could be that play.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

okay cool, lol cuase i can't see anyone in the other side of the court either except the one guy on the bench staring down hehe

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Crash, great report! Thanks.

......good think none of us overreacted about the report that Yao was out of shape! :p

13. chow_yun_fat

These games are being played in Dallas? I might drive up from Houston just to watch these boys in action =D

14. crash5179

The next one is in Fort Worth at the Daniel Myer Colesium on Thursday and then the last one is on July 3rd at SMU's Moody Colesium

15. carayip

carayip Member

Yi Jian Lian is the #20.

Glad that he's doing well.

16. chow_yun_fat

Thanks for the info, but how far is Forth Worth from Houston? ( I really dont know) and where is SMU Moody Collesium? If you can give me the addresses for these locations that would make everything peachy =D

17. crash5179

Fort Worth is part of the Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex which I believe is in the neighborhood of about 270 miles from Houston.

Moody Coliseum is in Dallas off of Highway 75 and Mockingbird on the Southern Methedost University campus right behind the football stadium.

I think the Daniel Myers Coliseum is on the Texas Christian University campus in Fort Worth but I don't have the address.

18. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Stats from all the games that were played so far

http://www.globalgamesbasketball.com/Schedule.htm

The people on the USA team are a whole bunch of high schoolers like Byron Eaton (Dallas Lincoln), Calvin Miles (Dallas Skyline) and Chamberlain Oguchi (Fort Bend Bush).

19. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

The China team listed there isn't CNT. It is the Chinese Youth NT.

20. hz10

hz10 Contributing Member

There is also a game on July 4th at 4pm at Frisco, north of the city of Dallas.