1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Internet Mob Threatens 18-year old Chinese Student acting as Peacemaker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Apr 17, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A lot of posters on this forum seemed to be bragging about the internet terrorism unleashed by angry chinese online mobs and sending people threatening emails and harassing phone calls over in the other threads

- I personally don't find it anything to be bragging about. Ugly reprehensible behavior by chinese nationalists here.

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

You are chipping to call that girl peacemaker. She was out to make a name for herself mostly, and naive. What's there to "peacemake" while two groups exercise their freedom of speech non-violently anyway? Should people just shut up and go home? or drop their opinions?

But, yeah, a fraction of internet mob is pretty ugly. Then again, people say all sorts of things on the internet. Shocker! A lot of people here bragging? That's news to me, I demand source! :D

3. SamFisher

Trying to stimulate dialogue between two warring sides = peacemaker.

No matter what you want to call it - the response by the jingoistic PRC E-Mob was uncalled for and abhorrent.

sure:

4. michecon

oh, I know the full story, but let‘snot digress. Yeo could be joking, about prank calls and such. I don't see him bragging about physical harm. But even if you want to call him out for that, you managed to count one single poster as "a lot of". Good job. Is a job offer from CNN in the cards? ;)

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

She should have known a Chinese mob would threaten her and her family in the great Chinese tradition of freedom of speech. Silly girl.

6. SamFisher

i'm sure there's more it's just hard to cut through the mob of posts at risk of my own e-mail address.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Peacemaker? If people want to protest let them. If it turns voilent the police can deal with it.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly I'm not surprised. Many of the nationalistic Chinese have a "with us or against us" attitude and I've been called a traitor to my country and that I would never be allowed into the PRC over my views on Tibet and Taiwan.

The Chinese are generally pragmatic people but on certain nationalistic issues there seems to be little ability to compromise on.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether or not she was out to make a name for herself she and her family didn't deserve to be hounded like that. Its one thing to tell her that you don't agree with her and suspect she has ulterior motives and another to go after her home and family.

10. michecon

That I agree. It should be also noted that nothing actually happened to her and her family. If you read Duke Chronicle, it used "perceived threat" to describe. Chinese internet forums, and actually unregulated internet forums everywhere, is sometimes wild wild west, people say anything.

BTW, how do you know you would never be allowed into the PRC? Did you try?

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Well, I've been called all kinds of names like "traitor" as well at some Chinese boards. But there were also numerous posts dismissed such name-calling as nonsense. What's new? Like I said many times, Internet brings the worst of people, because we are all hiding behind a keyboard and monitor (junks made in China). BTW, you and others were called "fake Chinese Americans" as well, and suggested to be "deported", remember? Did you see any outrage except from Chinese Americans? Oh I forgot, people were telling you it's a joke. Is that the same "with us or against us"?

During the plane crash and US bombing Chinese embassy incidents, some American posters posted on various Internet BBS that those people deserved to die. Did you see NYTIMES was outraged? Did you see righteous posters excited and acted outraged on this bbs?

Not everything can be compromised, in most people's views, be it Chinese or Americans. What's so special about Chinese, unwilling to "negotiate" whether a piece of land should be taken away?

As for Ms. Wang, I certainly don't agree with some of her opinions. I did read her original open letter, which wasn't a great written piece for it was not very focused. One thing she did mention was, the more conflict Tibetan Chinese and Han Chinese get into, the happier the Westerns will be. I don't agree with that either, coz I never like generalization. Nothing wrong for a young person to have the ability to think by herself, instead of following the one-sided media frenzy around her. But it's a bit naive to announce to act as a "peacemaker", for what?

I did express my disgust on personal attacks in some Chinese BBS, and many many other posters do agree with me. Isn't that what freedom of speech is about? Do you see that in the article? Just like what you saw on TV, although pro-China demonstrators outnumbered the Free Tibet crowd (who didn't know where Tibet is), the coverage was all focused on them.

When some Chinese people got out of control online, it's the Whole Chinese or China thing. After all, they are bunch of "goons and thugs like 50 years ago", a position the best political team on CNN still stands firm on.

12. ymc

ymc Member

Rev Wright also received death threat, so I guess that means the Chinese are now as developed as we are? ;)

13. yl042557

yl042557 Member

I am an ethnic Chinese, and I cannot believe my first post is not in the GARM :eek: . But anyway, here is my opinion.

I believe in the freedom of speech. I believe everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion and has the right to express it, AS LONG AS he/she does not violates other people's right to the freedom of speech.

Unfortunately when Ms. Wang was interviewed by the TV station, she said: "Most Chinese people are in the same position as me. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED by Bush’s statement that the Beijing Olympic should NOT be boycotted."

What is her position to say this? How can she speak on behalf of "MOST CHINESE"? I, for one, am strongly against any attempt to tie the Olympic games to the politics, and am also strongly against so-called "Free Tibet". All of my Chinese friends are with me as far as I know. But that's not the issue here -- we can debate on why I support a united China all day long on other ocassions. As I said, she has her opinion, we have ours, that's fine. But when she said "MOST Chinese" had the same position as her, I had a feeling of being raped. Don't put words in our mouth, please!

So I felt I should let people know the real opinion from an ordinary Chinese. So I went to youtube and various forums to excersie my freedom of speech.
    I was disappointed.
    My opinion was labeled as "propagenda", and I suddenly became a "drone" of the Chinese government.

I feel sad. In China I can not have my voice heard because, well, everybody knows the reason. I thought I would be able to have my voice heard here in the land of freedom, but it was again silenced and ignored, because my voice is "propagenda" so it doesn't count. I was even questioned if I work for China Daily. :rolleyes:

Not only my voice. But a lot of the voices supporting Beijing Olympics. When the torch relay was in San Francisco, there were protesters, there were also ten times more of supporters. But you'd think most of the people there were protesters if you simply follow the news media. Numerous demonstrations have happended since then across the U.S. as well as Europe and Canada requesting the media to stop biased and distorted report but none got the slightest fraction of the coverage that was cast on those advocating "boycott Olympics", Ms. Wang being one example.

I believe I shall stop for now because long posts usually do not get read. :)

As far as those "threats" on the internet on Ms. Wang, I don't believe the Chinese who "threatened" would actually harm her and her family. We all know how people can say all kinds of insane stuff simply because no responsibility would be taken on the internet. It's a totally different story in reality when actions bring upon consequences.

14. SamFisher

I have been on the internet for a long time and I have never ever even considered sending a threatening e-mail to another poster, calling sombody - or posting their information so that sombody else could do the same.*

Making goofy boasts on a BBS is one thing, and one thing that i am no doubt guilty of. However there is a bright, easily definable line between tongue-in-cheek internet bravado, and sending threatening messages to somebodys personal e-mail, even if they are just empty threats. Same with phone calls. It's not the same thing.

*with the exception of B-Bob, I am going to get that pompous ape, online or off.

#14 SamFisher, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You should have stopped there. That's where most people will probably stop reading your post, anyway.

16. liyihang

liyihang Contributing Member

In another thread you said you were not surprised that the Tibetans burned down the city and had violent protests, because it's a "frustrated last stand". Now you are angry with the "Internet phrase that implies physical, as opposed to virtual, action". As far as I know, she hasn't been injured, or banned from returning to China. Ever thought about how frustrated the Chinese are?

Btw, the article you have cited says the girl is 20 years old, not 18.

I don't agree. That's too much generalization. In every population there are some radical people. You might be seeing only the trees and missed the forest.

17. SamFisher

If Chinese e-mobs had been invaded and occupied by a skinny college student for 50 years maybe they would have a case. But they haven't - so you are apples and oranges, my friend.

Second - earlier this AM the shortcut to the headline said "18" - it has since been corrected. I'd correct mine too but i can't.

18. yeo

yeo Member

Well, I have been staying away from this place because frankly the quality of the debate here isn't very good. But since I have been personally mentioned in this thread I guess I should leave my two cents.

One, I personally won't spam call anybody but I do find the creativity of the spam-callers very funny. They actually figured out how to have the Free-Tibeters call each others' phones all the time. And one of the Free-Tibeters, though he hung up on all the other spam calls right away, actually stayed on-line for FIVE MINUTES when a call from a phone-sex site was put through. I just cann't help laughing. Pardon me for having a sense of humour. :D

Two, as for this Wang girl, she picked a very unpopular position among her own people and she is getting hassled for it. So what? Nobody got physically hurt. And for old Sammy here, who found it justifiable for Tibetan rioters to "vent their frustrations" by murdering and burning and for "peaceful protestors" to attack a physically disabled girl, to act all indignant over a few prank phone calls is just the height of hyprocrisy. Of course, hypocrisy is Sammy's middle name, so no surprise there. By the way, I heard this Wang girl has already applied for political asylum. If I were a cynic, I might think a green card was her purpose in the first place. "Peacemaker" my a**, cynical manipulative b**** is more like it. Would make a great pair with Sammy.

19. SamFisher

^ once again the PRCbots prove that they pretty much deserve their reputation.

"Who cares? NObody was killed - so we can commit crimes by threatening people all we want"

Sorry kids, but threatening emails and harassing phone calls and stuff like that in this country can be punished as a criminal offense in most jurisdictions.

Nobody says it's the "worst thing in the world" - It's just representative of the tactics used by a lot of jingoistic Chinese e-mobs. There's a reason why it's criminal. There's also a reason why the insults that fly on this message board are not criminal.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No, it means they're as developed as rabid college sports fans.

It's not cool to live in fear. I'd definitely freak out if some random loon found my phone number and started dishing out threats.