1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese fans, we need a favor...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vwiggin, May 6, 2007.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Teams like the Knicks and the Lakers always had a bit of an extra edge when they recruit free agents. Players were willing to take less money to play on the "big stage." What they missed out in terms of salary they expect to make back in endorsements and movie deals.

How come we are not benefiting from that type of hype? With our pipeline to the fans in China, there really is no bigger world stage than the Rockets.

I apologize for sounding ignorant (too late right? :)), but is there anything the fans in China can do to generate more marketing hype for Rockets players? Any way we can crank up the endorsement dollars for Rockets players in China?

I know it is unfair to lay this burden on you, but I think this is a concrete way to land quality players.

What specific steps can you take? Maybe create grassroots campaigns telling Chinese corporate sponsors that you want to see even more Rockets players doing endorsements. And when those sponsors come through, buy up their products like crazy. :p

With the Olympics coming up I think China is going to be really focused on sports. Let's make this happen guys! :)

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes and they can start by going to my website www.firejvg.com and buying some T-shirts.

3. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Did you know that riding on the coat tail of Yao Ming, all Rockets players are favorites with Chinese fans??

• Steve Francis
    • Tracy McGrady
    • Shane Battier (got a US$ 4M 3-year shoes endorsement contract from China Peak)
    • Chuck Hayes (got a mulit-million US$ shoe endorsement contract from Li Ning)
    • Most Rockets players got their own blog on China web sites (Battier, Alston, Head at sina.com, Mutombo at tom.com)
    • The multi-million US$ endorsement or signage that the Rockets or NBA got from the Chinese enterprises: Lenovo, Haier, TCL, Red Bull, China Peak.............

Do you think Shane Battier or Chuck Hayes will be that popular or get any commercial endorsement if they are not the Rockets? :rolleyes:

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Red Bull is a Chinese company? I ask because I remeber seeing commercials in China for them way before they got popular here but I always thought they were Australian. Also, the last time I went back, I can't seem to find a can of stuff any where anymore.

5. rocketscience84

I believe you really got a winning plan there. I think the head of the Yao Ming Fan club of China...will go to every Chinese fan of Yao Ming and asked for money in order for Yao and new talent provided by the people of China, hoping Shanghai Rockets will be able to win. its GOLD.

6. Leaf

Leaf Member

man,i guess it won't change your idea until you come to china for a visit. don't be fooled by the prosperity of Shanghai and Beijing or the "made in china" marks on the goods in Wal-mart. Instead, 800 million people are farmers and most of them earn less than 200 dollars a year(excluding food expence). How can they have any extra money to support? Is that beyond their lives?
    I don't know if you believe or not, but any chinese sees this will agree with me. The number of chinese basketball fans are just the exact number of Rox fan. Every Rox win we cheer, every Rox loss we sigh. I can say that our feelings are no less than you do on this team. But if you talk abt the money, i really don't think it sticks to the basketball itself.

7. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

Pryuen is right. Battier and Hayes already have shoe contracts with local Chinese sports companies. IIRC, McGrady's jerseys sell really well in China.

One thing though, I think the Swift fiasco will have a huge negative effect on prospective free agents signing with us...

8. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

I am a Chinese but I have doubts: what about the other 500 million people and all the large corporations in China? Yao Ming's popularity in China, especially during the pre- and post- 2008 Olypmics periods, should never be underestimated. Hence, any NBA players teamed with Yao Ming would have huge commercial values in the sale of basketball-related goods in China. The sponsor for Chuck Hayes is a very good example.

Yao Ming is badly in need of an enforcer-type PF to work with him in the paint in defense. Hope the Rox management can get one such player in the FA market.

9. vwiggin

Don't get me wrong. I'm already aware of the tremendous popularity of the the Rockets in China, and I know Chinese fans are some of the truest fans in the world.

My post is not in any way a criticism of their enthusiasm. All I'm saying is that it would be great to be even more organized.

As for the American fans, we can pitch in by constantly reminding people what a huge fan base the Rockets have compared to the Lakers, Knicks, or Pistons. We should do this every chance we've got by bringing up this extra edge we have at sports talk shows, blogs, charity dinners, other forums, etc.

That's a good point. I certainly wouldn't want people to spend money they don't have. If you don't have money, letter writing works very well too. If you write a letter telling a corporation that you only buy product X because T-Mac endorsed it, that's just as helpful as buying the product itself.

I know. :)

Again, I'm not saying Chinese fans need to "step up" because they have been slacking. I know how much you have done already. I'm just wondering if there's anything extra we can do in the off season to make sure the Rockets do well in the free agency market.

#9 vwiggin, May 6, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  10. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

IMHO, its very difficult for Swift to cope with the coaching style of JVG who doesn't allow any mistake from new non-star players/rookies. Once JVG is gone (most probably due to his lack of adjustments in the 1st round series against Utah), FAs will more likely have a new look on the Rox organization.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay man I get what your saying. I just lowered my T-shirt prices to 95 cents to accomodate those poor chinese farmers. And if they act now I'll also throw in a Trade Rafer Alston t-shirt to the first 500 million farmers. This is a limited time offer so you better act fast. Again that site is www.firejvg.com

12. SlamDown

SlamDown Member

Exactly. I think the NBA players should be smart enough to realize that. Meanwhile, Shane and Chuck are the hardworking with high BSB IQ players thus worth the big dollars, and it says a lot about our rest rockets players that the Chinese company aren't spending a dime on them. ;)

13. wangcheeryou

wangcheeryou Member

I am a Student from PRC.

Yao's Performance really hurt me in the series.

But Tmac is my alltime favorite Player for his Penny-like style.

So as I know, many old Chinese fans of NBA have collected Penny,KB,AI,even SF3's jersey and tmac's. but few of them except fans from Shanghai could buy No.11 Jersey. ;)

14. wangcheeryou

wangcheeryou Member

LeBrown wants to visit China more times, but most of my friends and I hate his style and cheat-travelling clutch-shot.

15. Leaf

Leaf Member

you just don't get it. If you ask rox fan to give their best cheers and emotional supports to this team, no question abt that. But why do they have to pay for it?! Okay, if Rox is in real finacial trouble and urges for a donation, get Les here with a worn-out shorts, i'll throw 10 bucks in the box

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Red Bull originates from Thailand but the stuff that's sold worldwide is from an Austrian (next to Germany, not New Zealand) company.

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

not in regards to movies and such, but you do realize stromile and bonzi both took less money to come here... mike james punked out on that one, but that's the only player i can think of at the moment since 2002ish.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Thanks for the response, I love the stuff. I buy case loads from Costcos.

19. sohrab

sohrab Member

the entire NBA is a stage to China now. all the superstars get attention there. it's not like they only have interest in the rockets. kobe and lebron are extremely popular in china.

20. vwiggin

I was hoping for a higher caliber of players, but point taken.

Well, with the way the Rockets are playing, I don't blame them.