1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese BMX'er dies jumping Great Wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Oct 4, 2002.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballerman

ballerman Member

Ahhhh Lucky charms! I found me pot of gold!

2. ballerman

ballerman Member

Ahhhh Lucky charms! I found me pot of gold!

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, I am probably ready to laugh at anything by now, but is double-posting a non-sequitor (seven minutes apart, I should add) supposed to parody absurdist humor? Either way, I like this new(er) guy.

4. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I agree 100%. There is a similar complex in the way drugs and adrenaline work. There isn't one dare devil or drug user who will tell you they don't get a thrill or get high off of it. Drug users could be compared to smokers. Its a tough habit but you make the decision to stop or get help. There is no excuse. Therefore I don't believe we're talking apples and oranges here. Both stimulate the human body in such a way you gain an elevated pleasure. Whether you participate in drug use or xtreme biking you are playing russian roulett with your livelihood. The same moral responsibility applies. What makes this different though is there is actually a picture of this dude in an awkward position. But again this guy took a chance. Simply because he took a ridiculous chance doesn't exempt him from being laughed at. But the same moral responsibility applies regardless.

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

You're more empathetic than most, haven't you figured that out yet?

I am rather surprised that so many here have cracked jokes without showing this person any respect.

6. Panda

Panda Member

I would follow the trend and make up some "funny" pictures in which Kennedy died in his car while picking his nose, and Martin Luther King assasinated in his bathtub while masturbating, or that old lady who burned herself with a cup of McDonald coffee in car seat, too bad I can't make "dark humor" as I don't know about photoshop.

Be sure next time one of your family members died in a funny gesture you share your dark humor with us. Thanks.

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Exactly! Jeff and Panda...i'm with you. The Guy DIED...like, he's gone forever, a family filled with sorrow, possibly a girlfriend/wife totally heartbroken. Maybe kids or a kid brother in tears. And you guys are makin f***ing jokes about it. I really can't believe how this thread has gone.

RIP Wang Jiaxiong

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

well,...he sure looked funny right before he died...and that's a fact jack!

:D

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Flippin eh! :mad: I didn't even think this thread was funny, but what's KILLING me (ahem, sorry) is all the sanctimony.

Let's see. Out of the approximately 217,384 people who died today in the world, I didn't see any jokes about the ones who were shot with guns, or the ones who had heart attacks, or the ones who were hit by cars, or the ones who passed away in their sleep, or the ones who finally lost a battle with cancer, or the ones who starved to death (there were many of these, mind you). People who did NOT choose to do something that had a 98.7% chance of death for no real possible tangible gain for humanity, for nothing other than the most insipid of reasons, were not a source of mirth for anyone on this BBS.

Panda, if this poor fellow was your relative, I am confident that everyone sends you condolences and apologizes for this thread. (We will also pray that you have a sufficiently different set of genes when it comes to brain function). And if he was a national treasure or hero for China, a la JFK or MLK for the US, please enlighten us! Nobody I know gives a rat's @ss if Evil Knieval dies, actually, but JFK and MLK lived and died with a purpose.

I'll tell you the truth: if one of my relatives tries to jump over the Great Wall on a bicycle and, (as you would sensibly predict), dies, everyone can have at it. I might not join in, but I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for finding one momentary darkly humorous moment to balance the otherwise continuous and unfair fabric of human tragedy that covers the globe daily.

If you want to grieve for this fellow, and if you do NOT know him (I suspect you don't), I sincerely suggest you first grieve for the other 217,383 people, one at a time, who died today in more innocent, dignified, tragic, or barbaric conditions, those who had death thrust upon them, as opposed to this gentleman, this complete clown who begged for a public, ignoble, and useless death on bended knee. This kind of person disgraces all of those who fight for life, all of those who hold life dear and treasure it. Think of it: all of us have very ill relatives and/or friends. Imagine sitting in the hospital with this brave, beloved person and watching this bicycle stunt. What would your friend/mother/uncle say? "F#ck that d@mned guy, that complete idiot. That's life he's p!ssing on!" He spits in the face of those that value life, and I do not feel sorry for him. (whew. who's sanctimonious now, eh?).

My first reaction to the photos was actually anger (really, B-Bob? gee), but the next one was definitely not pity.

edit: ... but the next one was definitely neither pity *nor respect.*

#110 B-Bob, Oct 5, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2002
  11. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I don't think Panda's point was that you need to grieve the dead (every single one of them...one at a time)...but i do think that some respect could given to them.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Kind of ironic that we were all very concerned over Neva's trouble but we treat this young man's graphic death as a way to improve our status on this board. But then again ,who started this thread? We rallied behind rockhead when Neva was hurt, but alot of us followed his lead in making fun of this deceased young man.

Whatever it takes rockhead............

#112 gr8-1, Oct 5, 2002
  13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yur fram bo-maont, right?

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Do not go ski, one may not solicit any grievance if you hit a tree like that Kennedy guy (you know, the possibility is quite high). If you pose some funny pose in the mid-air in the mean while, and being taken pic, Rockhead may post it here and ask for captions.

And give us that pic when Nascar driver crash to the wall (earnheart?), I bet its spectacular. That idiot, Everybody knows the fatal rate is pretty high in that speed.

Oh, there are many crazy climbers also, this bbs will get busy.

Repeat, that guy does not choose to die. He engaged in some dangeous activities, and the protection system supposed to be there failed.

just amazed you can write that much to justify yourself. No one ask you for grieve.

#114 michecon, Oct 5, 2002
  15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Did you grieve or laugh when Magic Johnson told the world that he was HIV positive? Aids was not an unknown subject even back then and Magic should have known better that having sex with so many different partners could be fatal and obviously had 'no tangible gain for humanity'. So is Magic one of those people who 'disgraces all of those who fight for life, all of those who hold life dear and treasure it.'

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

17. Panda

Panda Member

B-bob:

First I have to say, that guy did pose a funny gesture right before he died. Second, I don't think it's appropriate to make fun of the poor fellow. There's a lot of other opportunities to show off one's humor and this is not the place to do it, the same way you don't talk jokes in a funeral.

With that being said, nobody can justify themselves on laughing at dead people based on their stature/intelligence/influence/wealth etc... It'll be sad if one thinks such a distinctin can be made. If you are not gonna make fun of your national heroes on their deathes, then why do it to an average folk? He's a human being and doesn't have less rights than JFK, or any others on that matter. Even if he's a mental r****d he shouldn't be subject to discrimination in terms of treatment.

If it's the fact that the guy was caught in a funny gesture right before he died that justifies laughing at him, then I'd venture and ask if JFK, MLK and Abraham Lincoln was caught in a funny gesture before they died is it OK to make fun of them? If your answer is yes, then there won't be further protest from me.

I don't give that fellow my pity, he chose the way he lives and pays or gains accordingly. He's responsible for his own action. I'm not asking for condolences or grieve and he's not my relative. In my view, he's just another stupid and naive young man who act before he thinks, just like I and others who drove 120 miles per hour on highway when we're young. The catch is that he's not Al Bundy in a comedy, he's never gonna come back and realize his mistake that we all experienced in our youths, in one way or another. Who doesn't make mistakes, especially young ppl? I feel bad for their families and feel lucky about myself.

I think some posters didn't realize that just because some people place other things such as fun, fame or sense of achievement etc... over their lives, doesn't mean his life should be disrespected by others, even they are stupid ppl in our eyes, for that they have the right to value other things over their lives.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Anybody here watch "Six Feet Under" on HBO?

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes. And sometimes it's damned funny. Good show. (HBO has a lot of them)

I don't know what to make of this thread.

20. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Noelle Bush is a crackhead. Hahahaha! Oh, but she is predisposed towards crackheadedness. Oops, she is excused. I'm sorry, what a horrible person I am for calling her a crackhead.

Chinese guy is a r****d for jumping a freaking giant wall on a freaking BMX, with no landing ramp. Hahahaha! Oh, but it was a noble stunt/gesture/publicity stunt. Oops, he is excused. I'm sorry, what a horrible person I am for calling him a r****d.

Brian, Jeff: Pot meet kettle...

P.S. Passing judgment on others is easy until karma bites YOU in the ass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.