1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku traded to Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Aug 1, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If we try to project to the offseason, which is difficult of course:
    We'd have Melton, Hartenstein, Zhou and Edwards all potentially on contracts for next year as dirt cheap 2nd round guys signed up. How many 2nd rounders are we going to put on this team? We are in win now mode. We cant' carry 6 or 7 minimum 2nd round pick guys.

hongxingli and kjayp like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We were going to cut him (or trade him) anyhow. Why was saving that little in taxes so important to pay for it by using 30% of the pool Morey uses to buy picks.

Just be prepared, if some team buys a 27th to 38th pick this year for $3.5m+, know that Morey had no means compete for that pick, but surely would have, based upon his history. And know Meyers intends to use all $5.3m to bid on those picks.

Also, I fully expect a Ryan trade to eat the remainder of our cash considerations. Now *that* would be worth it (in a, "here take my money", kinda way), but illustrates that had we just waived Onuaku, cash sent out in a Ryan trade would at least leave us with enough money to buy a later pick like he did with Edwards this year.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree. i have my doubts about edwards making the cut, and melton may not be signed yet because he's part of a ryno trade, so there is a chance you need one or two more rookie deals on the roster. however, we have our own FRP next summer so we don't need to buy a second.

D-rock likes this.
  4. heypartner

Just remembered, we traded Parsons on draft day as part of the move to get DMo's pick, then Morey later bought Parsons back with pure cash. @Deuce

Dude plays chess with that money.

It's common to use cash considerations to move up, by packaging it with your own pick. Happens each year, too, both with FRPs and 2nds.

Rudy Gobert was a 27th pick and Denver didn't want to pay for that slot, so they traded down to Utah's 46th plus Cash Considerations.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its true we can always move in or up in the draft with that cash, but i think there is a good chance its traded with ryno or retrained to help cover the tax bill. i would be very surprised if that cash survived both of those hurdles and made it into a trade to acquire a pick next summer when we already have one.

6. esketit

esketit Member

this is what @kevC was talking about....ridiculous

Drift Monkey and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. heypartner

I agree. After this Onuaku move, I fully expect all cash considerations to be completely gone by draft day.

But it's sad, because our 2nd round pick will likely be completely worthless (as a 58-60 pick)...so worthless, Morey values undrafted players higher than actually using that pick. I expect him to sell it for Cash to further pay taxes. :cool:

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yep. That's pretty tame tbh by CF standards.

Drift Monkey and esketit like this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

not to mention that its not like MDA would actually play any of them anyway... cause he wouldn't 'trust them' blah blah blah... Any draft pick is one less rotational roster spot...

pissed me off so much that MDA refused to play Trez virtually at all the back part of the season and post season before he got traded... no, better we let Harden try to defend Pau and LMA...smh...

Clips will pay him 2/12M... but couldn't even get pt after Nene went down...

"Harrell, 24, appeared in 76 games for the Clippers last season, averaging 11.0 points and 4.0 rebounds, while shooting 63.5 percent from the field in 17.0 minutes. Initially acquired by L.A. on June 28, 2017 via trade, the 6’8”, 240-pound forward holds career averages of 8.7 points and 3.4 rebounds across 173 appearances spanning three NBA seasons with the Clippers and the Houston Rockets."

not saying we shouldn't have included him in the trade to get CP3 - just wish we'd have utilized him when we had him...

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey wanted to keep him. He said he was very upset to deal him. Basically the money was just a little shy and we had to "throw in" Trez to make the math work.

ramotadab, kjayp and saleem like this.
  11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You must be a liberal :rolleyes::p

RasaqBoi and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

So you’re saying it’s “cool” to make Asian jokes about penis size?

esketit and Drift Monkey like this.
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

RasaqBoi and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  16. kjayp

Lol Maarty Leunan... guy we drafted in 2008... lol

another example of those late draft picks paying dividends... lol

Why not? likes this.
  17. esketit

esketit Member

im actually a left center leaning conservative but i just happen to HATE RACISM. THANKS

kjayp likes this.
  18. kjayp

it was outta line... and i am def not a liberal...

it was racist... idk why some people think racism is only an issue when its directed towards certain groups and not others... smh...

D-rock likes this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

don't rule out moving down into the second round for cash and a future second either. late first round and early second round are the same talent level. better to move down, get an extra asset out of the deal and also get more control over the contract.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if Rockets gaining or losing that 2nd rounder. Or just rights to switch that 2020 2nd. Can someone confirm?

Bearius Jones likes this.