1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku traded to Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Aug 1, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets are getting the GSW second round pick in 2020 via Dallas. Dallas doesn't have a 2nd round pick in 2020.

The GSW 2nd round pick is lower than Houston's 2020 2nd round pick. Houston's pick has been traded along with Nanu and cash.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  2. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I tried Johnson and winslow in the NBA Trade machine and it worked salary wise. I didn’t even add in Nene or anyone else. Of course you would probably have to throw in a first round pick or something to get them to bite on Anderson. We are taking back around $45M in salary for Johnson alone though.

3. andersongo

andersongo Member

4. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

So Qi is our 3rd backup center

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we're taking back $45M in johnson but giving them $40M in dead space in anderson. That's actually worse. we'd have to throw in a sweetener just to get johnson... like taking back more money to make the salaries match and adding a pick and/or a young player.

if we wanted to add someone like winslow or richardson it would flat out be out of our price range. we dont have enough picks, cap relief or young players to offer unless we are willing to move capela, tucker, ego, etc...

our choices with miami come down to pairing james johnson with either waiters, babbit, or tyler johnson.

6. KellyUnchained

How can I help you sir? what's up

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Rocketsfan3422

Thanks, didn't want to swim through the mire. I'm sure you understand.

kjayp likes this.
  8. BackdoorHarden

Setting up for that Ryno trade!!

What a great off season!

Clint and CP3, Melo, and now trading away Ryno!

mockster likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am with @Nook and @BimaThug in this thread.

Moving Nanu was inevitable. I thought it might be in conjunction with an Anderson trade though. But like @smoothie said, clearly the Rockets feel they don't need to combine Nanu with Anderson to make salary work in their trade. Though, they could always use Vince Edwards, Zhou or Hartenstein after the 30 days.

I always felt that the Rockets would have to move CASH in a deal to cover Nanu's contract. He is a negative asset. Looking back, it is surprising that Morey did not make Nanu's 2nd and 3rd years NG. Look at Zhou's contract, 4 years, last 3 NG. And recently Hartenstein, 3 years with the 2nd partial and 3rd NG. Morey gave himself outs there. Didn't have that with Nanu and it bit him.

Tilman has a financial threshold. We don't know what it is. But it is there. We have to accept that. We saw that with Ariza. I am sure Morey is just banking the "LT savings" now and hoping to roll over that "good will" into more LT pain the next season. Just cost management.

If memory serves, GSW paid 3M for the Bell pick. At the time that was the max available cash. That max cash limit has "gone up" since then to 5M. So, the Rockets have 3.5M left. Enough to do the same 3M for a pick and ANOTHER 1.5M for another pick. Edwards was acquired for 1.5M. And of course, who is to say if anyone is selling picks that are worth 3M (high 2nds). Stands to reason they will have enough money to buy a pick without coming up short.

Morey has a fetish for passing centers. Missing out on Marc Gasol and Jokic. So he went after Zhou, Nanu, Hartenstein in the 2nd round. Nanu just never developed. Zhou and Hartenstein have showed some growth which is nice.

Glad Nanu is off the roster as he had no use. Hopefully they can fill that roster spot with someone of value (for now or the future).

D-rock, Hui, GotGame15 and 4 others like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BINGO!

Nook likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nope
    • GSW paid $5.1m for Bell. (They intend to try every year to use the max, as their best asset development path. per Meyers)
    • Didn't Morey maxed out in that year, too?...partly by putting the NG-Bro Band together. Obviously, Morey invest time thinking of novel ways to use this cash. Because it is an asset!
    • If you say Tilman has a threshhold, how do we know Morey didn't have a higher (more expensive) pick to buy, but had to settle for Edwards, instead.
    • fwiw: there used to be no max, and teams would pay $6m for picks.
    As I said earlier, let's not judge Morey on how his spends it, the fact is, he likes to use the money (has said so many times), and taking it away wasn't needed, especially since GSW always saves theirs.

yes. It bit him, and there remains a possibility it will indeed bite him again...by getting outbid on assets, later, this year.

All that to save just $3.5m.​

Not a move that Morey who do, from a pure basketball, asset-management perspective. It's minor pain for a GM to do. May not come to harm, if Morey ends up not needing it. Sucks, though.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is clear that GSW's financial threshold is higher than Houston's. So, we have to deal with it. Not every ownership is the same. Heck, look at Portland. Paul Allen is swimming in cash and they threw away Ed Davis. That's been annoying that fan base.

13. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think we're splitting hairs at this point. To me, Morey is managing assets pretty well, and at this point he could see that Nanu's spot was being wasted. I'm actually pleased to see us move on and open up that space on the roster.

We all know that Morey likes to have money to work with in the future, and about the only reason I can see that the front office would part with it so casually (by trading Nanu for such a low return) is that Morey is really high on the assets that are in current view. I have to think that Melton, Qi, and Hartenstein (along with Clark and maybe even Edwards) will look like fantastic assets in one year. Will they be better players than the undrafted and second round talent pool available next year? Probably so.

Having less money to spend next year isn't such a bind when you're roster is loaded with developing assets. It's hard to be negative when we have young bigs and a young guard like Melton that we can actually project out as legitimate NBA players.

The miracle, of course, that we're all hoping for is that Anderson's contract gets flipped for an asset or even a rotation piece. On his current fishing expedition, Morey's skimming along and looking to improve our roster by adding a strong PF presence like J. Johnson, or a depth piece combo guard like T. Johnson, or somehow a SF contributor (like Bazemore--meh, or Winslow--would love to see him on switches, or Porter--really, how could we possibly add him?). This seems so much more positive than waiting for a late buyout add. But, if no one bites, we can wait and keep developing.

What's the problem here? If someone bites and we add a replacement for Anderson, isn't our roster better than it was last year?

D-rock likes this.
  14. heypartner

Agree. Same thing applies to teams who don't use all their MLE. Sucks when that's ordered by the owner. Same thing applies when owners sell draft picks. Sucks for the fan, team and GM.

Say we don't use all the MLE, or sell a draft pick, to save taxes, would we call that smart finance/asset management? Or missed opportunity due to owner worrying about money. I'm calling it what it is.

Clever accounting to give Cuban money to save $3.5m in tax is one thing. Smart asset mgmt is another. Meyers is on record saying buying picks is his best use of money to develop players. Picks don't have the immediate impact as the MLE can or Vet Min, but we measure picks on a different risk/reward scale.

RocketsMAN! likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If there is anyone in the whole world I don't worry about when it comes to managing assets, it is Daryl Morey.

Dude is playing 3D Chess. Everyone else in here is just a Wesley Crusher.

D-rock likes this.
  16. heypartner

I agree.

In every other Morey year, when saving $3.5m on taxes isn't an issue, he just waives Onuaku, or trade like Dekker/Royce

#236 heypartner, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  17. heypartner

Good analogy. And that trade just weakened a piece on his board...which he loves to play with.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, to be fair, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone wearing a Warriors jersey. That franchise rakes in mucho $$$. They can spend. And do.

I don't know if Tillman is cheap, but $15,000,000 for Ariza? No. Plan B or C. Getting rid of a center who never plays to save $3,000,000? See ya.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wesley never had a chance against Dork Elvis anyway, no matter what was on his board.

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

We just spend $1.5M to cover nanu's contract. we should have about $3.5M remaining. I wouldn't be so sure it will all be there by June to buy a draft pick. It will either be used to cover ryno's cost (say he's moved to the kings for shumpert and cap space), or to help cover another team's tax bill (ryno to miami or washington), or to cover our own tax bill.

the good news is we have our own pick this year so buying one is less necessary. I assume we part with our 2020 pick in a ryno trade so having cash to spend on a second round pick then would be more useful.

D-rock, Vivi, Deuce and 1 other person like this.