1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China vs. Australia NBATV Sunday 12 PM PACIFIC

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by code9x, Aug 1, 2004.

1. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

well...he's definitely different from most other CNT players because he's really agressive on the glass.

david robinson would be an optimistic estimate... hopefully it works out for him.

it always used to boggle me how a country of 1.2 billion could be so bad at sports... but now it seems like China is going in the right direction.

i'm going to China next month for the first time in many years... looks like i will get to watch all the CNT games because i will be there during Olympics time.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

China bad at sports? Didn't they win bunch of medals in the last Olympics? :)

3. teknokid

teknokid Member

China is a power house

4. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Hallelujah ;)

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well China has been good at athletic competitions (their Olympic record the past 20 years can attest to that), but they have yet to have any kind of major success in any team sports (i.e. Soccor, Basketball, Baseball etc). Not sure what it is.

P.S. Why did Chinese Taipei used to dominate Little Leage World Series, but they didn't go on to have success in MLB. I don't think there's ever been a Chinese guy in MLB.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Probably to try to improve his stamina. I didnt really see too much fat on him last year to be honest

7. hotballa

Maybe the fact that Chinese athletics in the past have been dominated by short, skinny midgets, that is till we got better steroids than the Germans LoL

There is 2 Chinese guys in MLB right now, one is some dude namd Tsao who is a Rockies pitcher (maybe traded by now) and the other one is some guy named Chin Fen CHin or something who I think is supposed to be a decent 1B Dodger prospect.

8. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Bad at sports? You must be kidding.
    China won 28 gold medals in the Sydney Olymipics.:eek:

9. yipengzhao

au contraire...

obviously you missed the one or two games in which chin-feng chen, and chin-hui tsao played in the majors. one for the dodgers and one for the rockies i believe. :p

the schwab would not be able to stump me on questions about chinese or somewhat chinese players in the US professional sports. lol. actually you could expand that to all asian players i guess. i'm all about the shingo takatsu trivia.

yeah... i guess China has been okay. i just think it should do better than say... Germany. nothing against Germany but there's just more people in China... just by the law of large numbers you'd think China would win more medals.

10. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Chinese women volleyball team: six time world championships.
    Chinese softball team: five time world silver medals.
    Chinese women soccer team: 2 time world silver medals.
    Chinese women basketball team: 2 time world silver medals.
    ;)

11. yipengzhao

I mean yes I realize China has been 3rd or 4th in recent Olympics. It's just that lots of medals are coming from women's weightlifting, shooting, and diving. all of which are great sports... but much of the success can be traced to soviet-like taking -kids-away-from-families-and-putting them-in-training-camps action. i guess i'm not too proud of that.

12. hotballa

hey stop stealing my answers google boy! =Þ

13. m_cable

Now that I think about it, it's probably due to the fact that China has never built up strong nationwide leagues. Serbia and Montenagro is a relatively small country, but they have built up their basketball leagues up to a very high level of competition. That is why they can produce NBA caliber players off only a few million in their population.

14. m_cable

Yeah but where are the fellas. ;) back at ya.

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

How a bout Ping Pong and Gymnastics, I've always remember China dominated in those evetns. Also, Bagamon is huge in China I think.

16. yipengzhao

yeah... they do. okay fine i was wrong alright? haha.

Bagamon?

is that like backgammon but also kind of like badminton? i think only one of those is an olympic sport. although... since trampoline is too... i wonder how long before texas hold 'em becomes official.

that would CLEARLY make the vietnamnese favorites to win their first gold. Mihn the Master!

17. m_cable

Thanks for the update. Wake me up when China produces an Ichiro or at least a Nomo. :p

18. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I have a feeling Jeff will lock this one up. ;)

19. tksense

tksense Member

Well, they already produced Yao...

well, howcome the thread became so OT?:cool:

20. yipengzhao

wait so you're gonna sleep for the next 20 years?

before you go to sleep here's something to think about -- Danny Graves (Reds closer), Benny Agbayani (remember from the Mets?) are both half asian.
    :p