1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China PUSHED by Korean skater, Commentators: China slipped WTF?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tomjc, Feb 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rudan

rudan Member

But its really hip to say they need to be independent :p

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I just don't get the patriotism around Olympics. It's not like you are watching basketball, football, or soccer - stuff that really excites people. For crying out loud, no one cares team short track skate on any other days. You wouldn't sit there watching the world cup of short track skating if were paid 10 bucks an hour. So what's the big deal? Do people really have to get that confidence of being that race from freaking short track skating, curling, whatever hell it was once every four years and forget about in between?

Now, the US Canada hockey game was something else because that was freaking sport at its finest.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well most Americans don't care about soccer and most of the World doesn't care about American football. Not everyone gets excited by the same sports.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Nobody gets excited by short track skating in China except for when competed in Olympics. Even then no one bothers to learn about the sport. If burping is an Olympic competition, it's going to create craze to win that burp gold medal in China too.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently enough people in the US get excited by Short Track to make Apolo Ohno a star. Just because you don't find it exciting doesn't mean others don't.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don't get that either. Ohno is a fraud. I was really disgusted. Oh, well, short track skating is a joke anyways.

7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Yeah I get what you mean, my take on it is that there really aren't too many forums where the entire world enters serious competition. The World Cup is crazy for similar reasons.

8. uolj

uolj Member

To be honest I enjoy virtually any competition, burping, curling, basketball or hockey. I don't watch curling and short track speed skating regularly because it's not available for me to view regularly, and I have only so much time to invest in sports and competition. Waiting to enjoy these events until once every four years is great, because I get to enjoy the competition without the plethora of different sports taking up my time on a day to day and week to week basis.

Some people only watch soccer during the world cup. That doesn't mean they don't like it just because they don't watch the professional leagues or preliminary events. Some people don't watch American football until the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean they're being suckered in by the marketing (well, maybe on that one... ;)).

If I'm bored on a Saturday afternoon and flipping through channels and find one of these competitions on, but not specifically related to the Olympics, I'm still almost as likely to watch. The only additional reason to watch during the Olympics is the fact that it's the best in the world competing and that it's for something that means a lot to the athletes involved.

And once you're watching, it's nice to have a rooting interest. Most people root for their home country's athletes, but not everybody does. Regardless, it's more about enjoying competition and having something to root for than it is about finding any way to be patriotic even if it means watching stupid and dull competitions.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

There you go, if I am bored I would watch wet paint dry too.
    My beef, though, is not that short track skating gets too much attention these days, which I think it did but we can differ. My problem is with OP's thread, making a big deal out of nothing. I just think sports is a wrong channel for unreasonable amount patriotism. Winning Olympic gold for one's country, have the national flag raise in front of world's eyes is an extremely admirable thing and I too get emotional from time to time. But come on China gets the gold in the end, what's to be complained about? China has to win and win in style?
    BTW, I think South Koreans were robbed on this one. I don't feel bad for South Korea, the country, but I feel bad for the South Korean woman athletes, who trained so hard and deservingly should have won the gold. For them, it's a financial loss too. I read somewhere the reward for a Olympic gold medal in South Korea is tremendous.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Photoshopped.

11. tomjc

tomjc Member

First of all I have to respond to this because it speaks about my integrity, you should view the youtube video embeded in this forum.

Second of all this is not about patriotism, if the nba finals resulted in one team winning over another by an illegal play according to previously agreed upon rules then people would object whether in nba, nfl, mla, nhl etc. This push caused 2nd place China to fall out of contention gave bronze to US and silver to Korea. Imagine these 4 male Chinese athletes working 4 years (more if you count when they first started skating) for this one event, like an nba championship only to receive no recognition for it at the podium due to a push in the end. If this push were caused by a Chinese athlete on a Korean the same rules apply. In this case it is the other way around.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, I am sure that has nothing to do with your thread. :rolleyes:

China got the gold, why are you still so mad?

13. dback816

dback816 Member

What a mystery that will remain as.

Hockey is a dying sport. Who honestly gets excited over it besides when national pride is on the line?

:rolleyes:

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Kind of like if some Chinese gymnast broke the rules and competed under age? It would be an outrage!!

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wouldn't really call that a video. It's more of a slideshow. Still photographs are not going to prove your case.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

[​IMG]

17. tomjc

tomjc Member

exactly.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

It's a good thing Chinese toy makers don't put lead into children toys. Oops.

19. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I'll watch any competition if stakes are high enough.
    Enough people watched "who wants to be a millionaire", is there anything more lame than that?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Photoshoped