1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China-Georgetown Brawl

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RV6, Aug 18, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

looking at the alternate view of the restaurant fight....wtf was the shirtless guy on?

2. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Those players are not in the army. This is false to claim that.

3. cuddie

cuddie Member

You don't seriously believe the fight stemmed solely from racism, do you? Reports suggest that both sides were playing physically; it wasn't a pretty game. However, the Georgetown player lost his cool and took a swing, which a large group of Chinese players and fans witnessed--and overreacted to. Let's reverse the situation, and say that the Hoyas are hosting Bayi. A Chinese player takes a swing. How do you think Georgetown would react? They must be racist too. It's a factor, definitely, but I think it has more to do with someone visiting your home and trying to start a fight than simple racism.

If you're referring to Halfback10, I don't think anyone's disagreeing with you. But then you have racist idiots like GlenRice and I think they effectively nullify each other in terms of ignorance. Ban none or ban them all, but don't upset the balance.

4. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Even more nasty than the one that your mom took last night.

1 person likes this.
  5. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

I don't want to get involved with the back and forth. But I would like to contribute with some facts or news, some of them I don't see in this thread.

Georgetown is a mediocre team. They are definitely not the Georgetown of old. Their record last year is 8th in Big East.

Bayi is a professional team in China. It belongs to Army and its players are officially officers. But they are not really soldiers. I doubt they went through the trainings. Chinese military owns a lot of things, they even owned night clubs, restaurants, etc. before.

It was a physical game and a lot of foul was called (overwhelmingly against Georgetown). By half time, the ref called 11 fouls on Bayi and 28 fouls on Georgetown.
    see this link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...n-in-china/2011/08/18/gIQAs1zeNJ_story_1.html

By the time the melee started, with 10 minutes to go, there are 57 free throws taken by Bayi to just 15 for Georgetown. At that point, the score was tied at 64. See the following link:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/34291/georgetown-chinese-pro-team-brawl

At this point, Chinese government put a partial information ban on this episode. You don't see this on Tv or newspapaer in China. (Note, it is possible you see them buried in the back pages, but I doubt it). But there are thriving discussions on the internet forum and Chinese twiter. Of course, if you don't know something occured, you are not going to dig for information about it. Most Chinese are too busy with their life to know this occurs. But the information is definitely out there if you want to find it.

From the following chinese forum post, Georgetown offers a statement of regret of some sort ( the forum is in Chinese):
    http://bbs.hoopchina.com/1108/2618411.html

From the following chinese forum post, Bayi team will see Georgetown players off as a good will gesture (in Chinese):
    http://bbs.hoopchina.com/1108/2622003.html

I don't see any Chinese entities (eith Bayi, the facility, etc.) offer any statement of regret or apology. But I might have missed them since there is a partial news black out on this.

Georgetown is supposed to play Bayi again. But that had been canceled and Bayi is substituted by Liaoning. Both Bayi and Liaoning are mid-level teams in China's professional league, CBA. Bayi was 7th out of 17 teams and Liaoning is 10th out of 17 teams.

They just finished playing, with Georgetown clubbers Liaoning with the score of 92 to 69. See the following link (in Chinese)
    http://bbs.hoopchina.com/2627305.html

As expected, that game was not televised and no video is available at this point. Unless some audience recorded the show, I don't expect any video will be available for this game.

By the way, something that is not directly related, but it reflects the state of Chinese basketball. Croatia just clobbered Chinese national team by the score of 83 to 53. Even though Wizard's Yi Jianlian played well for China, the game is not as close as the score indicates.

6. SunsRocketsfan

dude that video looks like CNN is trying to make a story out of a non story. Those racist comments on the net are everywhere. Just read the comments of any YouTube video. In fact it said growing up she hardly had any issues with race. That should show how most people even in china that know her are not racist. When u put stuff on the net of course ur going to get stupid commets. Most do it because ur hidden behind a keyboard or just want attention and people to respond.

Back on topic. It's a basketball game. It's competitive. Fights happen

7. SunsRocketsfan

LOL 83 to 53 is close????
    Wow the Chinese team must be really crappy

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fights happen. Multiple guys chasing down one guy. Knocking him to the floor. Then as a gang kick him while he is down is not basketball, is not competitive, and is not acceptable. All the quotes can't change how the Bayi team fought.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Exactly. It's hilarious to see people claiming they are "Army soldiers" and even that something like CNN made that claim. They are basketball players and that is it.

10. Mr. Space City

msglength

11. SunsRocketsfan

Lol look I didn't say they fought fairly. But now there are rules on how to fight and what's allowed? I agree it's embarrassing for both sides and there is definitely blame to go around. But now there are proper fighting etiquettes?. Are you saying every fight in the NBA is a clean fight and no cheap shots are taken? Only reason this is a big deal is cause the media and Internet posters made it a big deal. If this was two cba or two NCAA teams fighting no one would mention race. Guess my point is it's a completive game. Lots of testosterone and fights can happen regardless of the skin colors of the players.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have never said the NBA, NCAA are clean. If you read this thread, I have compared this brawl to one in a football game among NCAA teams. This type of brawl is unacceptable regardless of skin color. Race is mentioned (whether accurate or not) because it is predominantly two different races involved. If there is video evidence that shows this Chinese team is just as thuggish to other Chinese teams, then we can conclude it is not racially motivated and that these guys are just plain thugs. Without it, it may or may not be racially motivated.

Testosterone has nothing to do with how thuggish these guys are. Thugs come in all colors. Accept that these Chinese guys are thugs. They may or may not be racist thugs, but they are thugs.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To edit, I shouldn't put the thug label on the entire team. Just the guys that did thuggish actions like grouping up on one guy and kicking him while he was down. This isn't to say there aren't thugs on Georgetown, because if they were doing the same things...they are just as much thugs.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what's sadder given the situation. The fact the two teams ended up in a brawl, or that the Hoya were able to tie with a professional basketball team on their home court.

The CBA must be terrible.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So much disappointing in this thread. Its hard to tell who started the fight but the behavior of BOTH the teams and the fans was disgraceful.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Isn't it obvious the cba is a huge level below the NBA? Why are you surprised at that? CBA - no NBA players. Hoyas - no NBA players. Pretty evenly matched

17. Lovemachine2000

Careful there homeboy...

18. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I lol'ed... I wonder how much they were up by?

19. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

If FIBA allows more physical contact, then how come they were getting mauled on the other end? According to the eyewitness, they were calling intentional fouls every time down the court. If the college players are playing as if they are in NCAA, and if as you say FIBA is more physical, how is it that they are getting calls for intentional fouls every time down? Wouldn't they actually have less fouls because they are not as physical? :confused::confused:

20. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Someone ban this fool.