1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Tribune: Mutombo talks with Houston cool, was Chandler involved?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hpscc, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Just B

Just B Member

Lol! Fisher man, you're easily my favorite poster here!:D

But that would be awesome for the Rockets if they could've gotten Chandler. Him and Yao are both extremely young and could have grown into the best frontline in the league. Mutumbo would be a good fit too, just not for the long-term.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Chandler is a role player who gets big numbers a-la Scottie Pippen. He's a perfect fit. He's one of the freaks of the nba. And I like to add some more of that to our team.

3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

With the Bulls, Chandler will probably always be a failure because they traded Elton Brand for him - and Chandler is no Elton Brand by a long shot.
    But with us, Chandler becomes a great role-player, the kind you need to win championships.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Tyson Chandler is a player who I would not hesitate trading Juwon Howard and taking back whatever garbage in return for. It would be a huge gamble considering his supposed attitude and health problems, but the potential payback is limitless. I can't think of another young player in the league whose game better complements Yao Ming. He doesn't need the ball to score, blocks shots, and REBOUNDS. At 7'1, paired with Yao Ming, the Rockets could potentially have the best frontcourt in the league for the next decade. I think trading Howard would hurt us next year, but this is the type of risk that championship organizations take. I would liken this to trading the always dependable Dale Davis for the struggling Jermaine O'Neal. The question is what would Chicago's incentive be for trading off the man who they received in return for Elton Brand? For the record, I would take back whatever garbage necessary (Eddie Robinson/Antonio Davis) to make this work. I think Mo Taylor could hold down the fort for the next 2 years. A Chandler+Yao frontcourt has too much potential to allow some luxury tax to get in the way. Let's hope CD and Les feel the same way and the article was legit.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

The Bulls have Mr. Potential in Eddy Curry. Having 2 guys full of potential in the frontcourt for the last couple of seasons has resulted in very bad records.

Juwan Howard is working out with Curry and other basketball players in Chicago. Keep in mind that Curry is very young. Curry may be lobbying for Juwan to go to the Bulls to be the starting PF.

6. hpscc

hpscc Member

If the Bulls do make a trade with one of their young bigs(which isn't a given), I don't think it's set in stone that Curry will be the one to stay. From the same Tribune article that started this thread, there is the following info:

Recent trade talks with Memphis regarding Curry were legitimate and serious, with names like Lorenzen Wright and Bo Outlaw almost making the Bulls bite on a larger package involving Eddie Robinson.

Team Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who met with Curry shortly after last season to impress upon him his value to the franchise, remains a supporter. That's why he has made it clear that Paxson must receive equal value in any Curry trade.

Curry will be a restricted free agent next summer and the Bulls want to avoid a repeat of the Jamal Crawford saga. One team—the Knicks—drove Crawford's price tag out of the Bulls' budget, forcing them to make a trade based more on financial than basketball reasons.

The trade value for Curry, who has alternately pleased and peeved management with his work ethic this summer, might be at its highest.

From the article, it sounds like Curry has continued his mediocre offseason, while Chandler has actually worked out alot and impressed Paxson/Skiles with his work ethic and attitude. Given the blue-collar team the Bulls are trying to create, Chicago might be more likely to keep Chandler.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Chandler could be as good as KATO. Despite the fact Kelvin stunk earlier, he was a great compliment to Yao. I thought he and Jimmy Jackson were the most consistent Rockets this year.

8. thacabbage

You have to wonder what Curry and Chandler's trade values are. The article makes a Wright+Outlaw+taking back Robinson package appear to be very desireable for Bulls management. That seems low. I would have thought Bonzi Wells or Mike Miller at the minimum would have to be included in a deal for Curry. Juwon Howard at $5million is a much better deal for Chandler than that Memphis deal for Curry. The question is whether the Rockets are willing to go over the luxury tax for an unproven commodity. JVG has never seemed the type to committing to unproven "potential" type players. He doesn't seem too enamored with all the hype. However, I don't know that he's ever come across the opportunity to acquire a 21 year old, 7'1 rebounding freak and pair him alongside his 7'6 giant inside.

9. Charvo

Charvo Member

As far as Tyson Chandler being a rebounding freak that is bandied about on this board, Antonio Davis was the player who led the Bulls in the rebounding per game.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Chandler was averaging 12 rebounds a game before he was injured. Chandler does have a nose for the ball.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd rather trade Mo Taylor than Juwon Howard, personally - assuming we somehow ended up with Tyson Chandler in return.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If you want quality you'd better be prepared to offer equal value, not just hope to dump out stuff for gold.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jigga,

No. The Rockets have 99 Problems but Mo Taylor aint one.

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

Juwan Howard has been working out with Eddy Curry. Although I would trade Mo, the Bulls may be looking at this year as the last gasp chance for Curry to prove that he can be a go-to low post player in the NBA. Juwan Howard has the low post skills that noone else on the Bulls has. Maybe Chicago is thinking that Juwan becomes Eddy's low post scoring mentor for this coming season. Eddy Curry has more scoring impact potential than Tyson Chandler.

15. thacabbage

It's about the potential. A young Tracy McGrady couldn't even get off the bench in Toronto and had serious questions regarding his work ethic.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If we could get Chandler without giving up Yao or T-Mac...let's DO IT.

17. Sane

Sane Member

Antonio Davis: 8.1 rebounds in 31.3 minutes
    Chandler: 7.7 rebounds in 22.3 minutes.

If you adjust Chandler's stats to Antnio Davis' minutes, Chandler averages 10.8 rebounds.

So to say Davis is the better rebounder is just silly.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What would it cost us to get Tyson Chandler, though?

The 60 day time period will elapse Wednesday since we acquired Tracy, Juwan and the Whatnot Twins (Lue and Gaines). So we can trade Juwan, as long as Deke is not involved, since Chicago so recently acquired him.

Juwan for Chandler and Robinson, maybe? (ugh) Relieving them of cap crap is the only thing I can see happening, unless we're talking about draft picks.

Is Tyson Chandler healthy? If he is, sure, grab him, if we can, and if the deal is OK, and if Chandler's agent doesn't go around talking max dollars when it's time for him to negotiate. Chandler could give us, say, 11 pts, 9 boards, a few blocks, and in today's hyperinflated market, that would be worth 2/3rds of the max.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Here's the only way I could see it happen:

TE for Eddie Robinson
    Howard, Lue, Gaines, Pike and Griffin for Antonio Davis
    Boki for Chandler

We have to take on a lot of salary, they save a BOATLOAD of money.

The first deal, financially, is great for them. They save a good 12M.

Again, they save money while getting Howard, who has always been a fan of Chicago, and is apparently working out with Curry. He may be exactly what Curry needs to get over the hump. They save a ton of money on this deal again. Lue is one year, Gaines has an option in 2 years, Griffin one year, Pike two years. More importantly, I think Howard and Pike will become a major part of their rotation, so they're not getting trash.

Finally, Boki for Chandler. They get Boki, who may blossom or not, with one year left on his contract.

Basically, we're saving them a ton of money and giving them two good pieces for their team (Pike and Howard) for Chandler. No one in the NBA will take both Eddie Robinson and Antonio Davis off their hands, and quite frankly, this is more risky for us than it is for them.

Yao/AD
    Chandler/Howard or MoT/Spoon
    JJ/Eddie Robinson (maybe he can play 10 minutes?)
    T-Mac/Sura
    Ward/Sura

If E-Rob is healthy AT ALL, then all we need after this is to sign some CBA backcourt player to a contract. A PG would be good, since hopefully E-Rob can play some minutes at backup 2 if necessary. In 2 years, when Yao's extension kicks in, we'll have to get rid of MoT if he's with us. Otherwise, I think we're ok.

20. Sane

Sane Member

I think Chandler will definitely get more boards than that. I think he can easily give us 12-13 rebounds if we give him between 30 and 35 minutes.