1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago Tribune: Mutombo talks with Houston cool, was Chandler involved?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hpscc, Aug 30, 2004.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

The prospect of a Chandler-Yao frontcourt gives me orgasms. Oh, there goes one now. :eek:

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:D I'm glad to see CD's not willing to do a straight-up Pike/Mutumbo deal and swallow the difference in contracts. We don't want to waste the TE or mess up our salary structure on a minor deal.

I'm assuming Chandler is not a possibility. I'm betting his name coming up was like this:

Rockets: You can have Pike, but you've got to take Spoon too.
    Bulls: If we're taking Spoon, you'll have to take one of our bad contracts.
    Rockets: Fine. How about Chandler?
    Bulls: Hell no.
    Trib Writer: Bulls discussing Chandler trade.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Too much info -- unless you're a chick in which case you can tell us more.

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I like this deal, but I wonder if the Rockets would have to throw in a pick or two, and/or the rights to Badiane. Something to sweeten the deal. I like to think Badiane will become a very nice player in the future and I am very interested in him when he finally makes it to this level, but I would jump all over that if that is what it would take to make that deal for Chandler.

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

LOL!!!

But on a more serious note. I'd give almost anything to get Chandler over here even though I don't like him much, but I do love his rebounding and think he'd be great along side of Yao. However I'm going to wake up from this dream and continue to hope for Pike/Deke.

Pugs

6. mogrod

I think I would do this:

Howard / Spoon / Pike / rights to Badiane / maybe a pick

for

Chandler / Robinson / Mutombo

works out like this:
    Howard + Badiane for Chandler
    Spoon + pick for Robinson (Spoon has much shorter contract)
    Pike for Deke

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

in the words of Joey Lawrence.. "Whoaa!"

sorry:(

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Well, I guess they are playing cat and mouse games. CHI probably leaked this to the press, as a way to get CD to budge for something they like better, or to encourage other teams to come up with a competitive deal.

I'm sure that CD was trying to pass them Taylor or Spoon, instead of Howard. I'm sure that CD likes Howard, but I think he's what it'll take to get Chandler. Howard is a proven commodity, and very dependable at his position, so I can understand why both teams would want him.

But, we'd be a much deeper team with Chandler and Deke, even with Taylor starting at PF, since Chandler could back up 4 spots on the floor. But, we'd be even better, if we moved Taylor or Spoon instead of Howard.

A Howard/Pike trade for Chandler/Deke works very nicely. (according to RealGM) Of course, we'd have to wait until September 1st to move Howard, or until October 4th before they can move Deke, if its a mulitiple player trade. So, there is plenty of time to do a deal. But, maybe we'd have to sweeten it to get it done, either with draft picks or taking on ERob with our TE. Who knows, but I'd sure love to get Chandler, somehow.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

As to Chandler, let's not overlook that he'll be looking for an extension soon. I don't think Chicago wants to be in another Jamal Crawford situation where they have a young player who is still unproven, but now wants big dollars.

I can see Chandler coming to the Rocks and improving with the change in scenery, which would make giving him more money any easy decision.

10. mogrod

I was thinking the same thing. I only worry that, if he happens to become a Rocket, if he has a good season (which under JVG I believe he would) he might bolt for more money than the Rockets can give him due to Yao's extension coming up soon.

I would also think trading away Chandler could light a fire under Curry's a**. Either he would feel as if he now had to be THE guy to carry the team, or would be scared he would be next.

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm skeptical that Chandler was brought up in any context other than exploratory. Something along the lines of "What's the asking price for Chandler?" The Chandler + ERob for Howard and Pike trade is closer to a serious offer, but unfortunately, that's the best we can offer.

If the issue is AGriffin, I'm surprised the Bulls would balk. If the issue really is us trying to dump Taylor or Spoon on them, I'm surprised at CD.

Isn't the TE set to expire? Unless we have a plan to use all of it, I don't see why it's an issue to use a piece of the TE for a Deke trade. We're not talking about taking on that much salary.

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

The issue of Yao's extension is not a matter of whether we could do it, but whether we are willing to go into luxury tax territory to do it. I am really amazed that San Antonio has been able to stay under that, and still contend.

13. ggore

ggore Member

There are som many options by just looking at the Chicago players and salaries:
    Erob - 6.8 or so contract running through 2006 that Chicago wants to dump.
    Mutumbo - 4.4 or so that expires in a year
    Chicago also has ADavis at 12+ though 2006 that they might want to lose.
    Of course, we would want Chandler (4.2 through 2005) or curry(3.5 though 2005), but Curry would cost too much. Forget about Hinrich because Chicago won't deal him because they love him.

We can offer Pike (2.7 though 2006) along with Boki (1.5 through 2005) and some smaller salaries.
    We could also try to throw in MoT (8.5 or so through 2007) or Weatherspoon (5.9 though 2006). But, we would have to take Erob and/or Davis for them to take either one.

So, possible deals:

1. TE for Mutumbo
    Simple and good for all.
    2. Pike + Boki for Mutumbo
    Works if we are giving up on boki.
    3. Chandler and Mutumbo for MoT
    No way Chicago does this. We could sweeten the deal by taking Erob for the TE, but that still probably would not do it - but I would try for this one.
    This could be modified to be Pike and juwan for Chandler and Mutumbo with the TE going for Erob. I would hate to give up juwan(especially if we could somehow ship out Mot) but Chandler could be worth it.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i proposed a trade for chandler a while ago on this board but basically this was it:

chandler/erob/duhon

for

mo-T/lue/any pick (though not needed)

and a separate
    pike + TE or agriff
    for
    deke

the trades would have to be separate because since deke was just traded if he was part of some deal it would have to take place after october 4th just like how any deal with lue/howard/gaines will have to take place after sept 1.

once again i hope that we get tyson and deke that would be great and i think CD wouldnt mind taking in a semi-bad contract in erob (who is a decent backup player if he can get his head on right)

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Chandler and Deke might cost JJax and Howard + TE for ERob...too expensive? Chi might also insist on a draft choice.

Bulls add KH, then sure, I do it. It's not my $$$.

16. Furious Jam

If we get Chandler, we don't need Mutumbo. In my mind, if Mutumbo remains in the deal, it's because they don't want his contract and we're eating it for them.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:D

18. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

funny how the same things could be said about Eddie Griffin...

19. Furious Jam

Hey, that's an unfair comparison. Eddie pistol whipped some chick - that ain't right. I can forgive an NBA player pot smoking, car stealing, tax cheating, **** fighting, whatever, but ain't down with no @#%^* slapping. Don't lump Chandler in with that stigma.

20. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

just assumption on my part, but I can't see us trading the world for Deke. I am sure that we offered equal cap fodder, and the Bulls were unimpressed. What they need for the future is some cap relief, as they are going to have some of these wonderful draft picks wanting big contracts very soon. Unless my info is wrong, they still have a bigger payroll than us this year.

Trading the TE and replacing it will real payroll will put us over the LTax, and I just can't see CD doing that for Deke. If this was Shaq, there would be little question.

So, I can see the Bulls offering a deal to include Chandler. What they want is the TE. With it, they eliminate payroll this year, As it looks less likely for the LT to kick in next year, then they can trade for a player next summer. Also, at their present payroll, they can't afford to give both Chandler and Curry max contracts, which is of course, what both will demand (warranted or not). Curry is a local boy, so they no choice in who they have to deal.

It will be so nice to see the Bulls finally go into salary cap hell. Free Agents have both them and the Clippers for a bargaining point for too long.