1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Gonna Chicago] Teen murdered on family's front porch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 16, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Among other minds too.

Racism but not exclusively. The racism part comes from why whites are "not caught" as much and get lesser sentences when they do.

Why would you want to continue a policy that causes more illegal immigration from Mexico, creates more welfare users, and spends more money for nothing to show? If you don't want to believe in racism, that's on you, but how you going to talk your way out of the rest?

2. dmoneybangbang

No thanks Spartacus. You race baiters need multiple forums to spam.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those who want to believe that it has something to do with racism are just hammers seeing nails everywhere. Either way, in this instance, when it comes to people knowingly breaking the law, I don't have any sympathy for those who get caught. That's no sympathy for the 500k+ white offenders who are doing a year or more for drug offenses in the US and no sympathy for the 500k+ black offenders who are doing a year or more for drug offenses in the US.

They chose to break the law, no one made them, so now they are doing the time.

Whining about those who don't get caught or who paid for better lawyers and got a better sentence is like being the ******* on the freeway pulled over for doing 80 in a 60 who complains that others were speeding too. It's irrelevant, and it doesn't make what you did any more legal.

Perhaps you should read what I'm saying a bit more closely

4. dmoneybangbang

BS. Link to those numbers you pulled about white vs black incarnation rates.

Meh. It's mostly filler so you understand.

5. dmoneybangbang

And it's not about sympathy, it's about smart policies. If you don't think the war on drugs has disproportionally affected blacks then keep your head in the sand. Don't complain about government spending though.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't cite any numbers related to rates, I cited the actual number of how many people were currently (as of 2014) incarcerated with sentences of 1 year or more for drug related offenses....and I didn't even cite the specific numbers.

Here's where I got it if you are interested.
    http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Race_and_Prison#sthash.uTprAPI8.dpbs

Perhaps that's why you struggle in these conversations, you aren't reading well enough to comprehend what is being said. If so, I understand, reading comprehension isn't for everyone.

7. dmoneybangbang

I suppose the rates wouldn't help you argument your position as they take into account population instead of merely raw numbers.

That's kettle calling the pot black. Pretty sure your reputation on here is not positive when it comes to dialogue and conversations.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The rates are irrelevant to my argument. You don't break the law, you don't get thrown in jail for breaking the law.

When people break the law and go to jail for it, that's not an injustice. That's not indicative of racism. That's indicative of stupidity on the part of the person who broke the law.

The childish "BUT THEY DID IT TOO" argument doesn't get anyone anywhere because it doesn't excuse their actions.

Perhaps among those who don't read what I actually say or do such a poor job of it that they don't comprehend what I actually say. I'm not terribly worried about the opinion of people like that though.

1 person likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

That's my point.... your argument is poor. Like I said....I can see why you choose to look at raw numbers.

The part where blacks are overwhelmingly affected by this policy compared to their white counterparts is.

What's childish about getting longer sentences because of your skin color?

Perhaps among those who don't read what I actually say or do such a poor job of it that they don't comprehend what I actually say. I'm not terribly worried about the opinion of people like that though.[/QUOTE]

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'll find those numbers are pretty correlated with the poverty rate....but you want to believe that it's because "the man" is out to get people and I'm not sure what I can do to talk sense into you.

Also, it's not a "policy" it's a law, a fairly old law.

It's childish to think that the reason for longer or shorter sentences is skin color.

I keep trying to drag you and Rocket Racist out of the (18)60's but you are still struggling to keep that mentality.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

While Black Lives Matter is referring to police mistreatment of African Americans, I'm hopeful that maybe one day, it will lead to programs and educational opportunities that will help quell black on black violence on the street.

A black reverend in my town wrote an OpEd piece in the local paper titled something like, "Black Lives Matter, but do they matter to Blacks?" Basically calling people out by saying if you're going to protest cops from killing innocent black men and women, we need to also start drawing some attention to Black on Black gang- related criminal activity and seeing what we can do to combat it.

I agree with the general consensus that cops shouldn't be shooting first and asking questions later, but I realize that some of these cases are suspects not complying with police orders. Not all, but some. Cops are not robots, and these things are going to happen. Problem is, our country has become so sensitive to it, that we've lost sight of the real goal.

Let's end criminal violence, let's give police the respect they deserve, and most importantly, let's start respecting each other the way that we want to be respected.

Let's also not act like these problems don't tie into each other.

1 person likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Correlate it for me then.

Quite a few different laws, seems our policy is to treat drug use/abuse as a law enforcement issue.

I calls it like I see it. There is actual racism involved here, not just faux racism with Ellen riding Bolt.

1 person likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The problem with asking this question is it pretty much ignores all the organizations and initiatives going on that address this problem.

You also don't protest gangs because they don't care.

Also it always feels like black people are the only ones that are asked questions like this.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, if you look at the poverty level you'll see that the black poverty rate is more than twice that of whites

[​IMG]

Then consider the wealth gap

[​IMG]

You can take from that when an average white person gets arrested on a drug charge they'll have significantly more resources at their disposal to fight the case.

On top of that black people are more likely to live in high crime areas which exposes them to more police activity and police in those areas are more on the lookout for crime because it is so common.

Those factors explain why there is a difference in being caught and it explains why when caught on average there are different sentences.

When drug possession and sale is illegal then it is a law enforcement issue and blaming the law isn't going to help anything. Point that blame at those knowingly breaking that law despite knowing the consequences.

1 person likes this.
  15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is quite a weak-ass deflection and transparent attempt to invalidate the criticism coming from african americans.

There are many African American organizations working in local communities to address these problems. As every organization must address everything. BLM is focused on police violence and oppression. The organization my spouse works for is handling getting people from disadvantaged backgrounds into higher education. Some of her colleagues, in other organizations, handle drug rehabilitation and anti-gang violence. None of these organizations do everything, because they can't. They advocate in specific avenues because specialization is an effective means of organizing labor. My own work in Oakland elementary schools were a demonstration that black lives matter.

And really, it isn't incumbent on an organization concerned with police violence and oppression to "do something for blacks" that white people approve. They already are doing something for blacks that demonstrate that black lives matter to them: they are advocating on their behalf to reduce the incidence of harassment and murder committed by police.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The problem with that question is it remove the race card crutch from the equation. Its a lot easier to blame the cop for shooting up a black criminal than it is to ask why the guy was a criminal in the first placed.

More white criminals get shot up. My suggestion to these white criminals is to stop doing the crime.

17. dmoneybangbang

And black folks make up ~13% of the population per 2010 census. So 13% percent of the population.... Over twice as much in poverty..... Hmmm something isn't adding up with your correlation using your incarceration statistics from earlier....

Nah.... Black men make up ~43% of the total US prison population and have ~13% of the population.

Something else is going on.

Because US policy is to make drugs a law enforcement issue instead of a healthcare issue.

18. dmoneybangbang

No you had it right with the bolded....

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly and pretty much all of that.

That's what those organizations do, try to prevent young kids from getting into crime in the first place.

If solving crime was as easy as telling criminals to stop doing crime then there would no longer be crime.

But this isn't Dora The Explorer, you can't tell swiper no swiping and expect him to run away.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....did you see what I just posted? I listed multiple factors, poverty is just one, on average white people have over 12 times as much wealth as black people....why not factor that in? How about the fact that black people are much more likely to live in high crime areas which makes interaction with the police more likely?

When you change multiple variables, you can't expect results to remain the same.

Is it racism that black violent criminals victimize a disproportionately high percentage of black people? I mean, as you said black people make up only 13% of the US population but black criminals target black people 63% of the time when it comes to violent crime.

Clearly something must be going on right?