1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago’s newly armed residents send murder rate plummeting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TexasStake, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What's your logic there? Even if you had some statistics how would they determine gang membership or.......

It seems a REALLY weak argument to make. "Don't worry if you aren't in a gang you likely won'y be caught in any crossfire."

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Again, what I'm trying to say is that for the average civilian, Chicago is not dangerous at all, especially if you avoid the isolated areas where a lot of these murders occur. Some of the media makes it seem like average civilians get gunned down on a daily basis and thus making it seem like it's more dangerous than it really is.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I had someone make the same argument about DC. "It's easy to avoid those places."

High gang activity decreases the safety of your city, and these discussions are more about how well a city is fighting crime. I can avoid the high crime areas of any city. You are more likely to be killed on the freeway.

4. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The point is that the crime rate is a result of concentrated poverty and racial isolation, not incremental gun laws.

6. ItsMyFault

In Chicago, they're more isolated because of where most of these murders happen (the South and parts of the west). The only people looking to go out in those areas are a) the people that live there and b) people who might work in those areas. You don't really have to avoid them because I wouldn't see a reason for why anyone who isn't living or working there would even want to go in those areas. I've had tourists ask me in very safe areas if there was anything to be worried about and thats the kind of fear I'm referring to that has been misreported mainly by the media.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe go down the route switzerland has?

"The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training"

"Switzerland has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world"

"The annual rate of homicide by any means per 100,000 population was 0.70, which is one of the lowest in the world."

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This thread needs to be moved.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The low crime rate probably has more to do with having a tiny population and high per capita incomes.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Why I'm still hanging out, this hasn't gone full D&D yet!

11. Major

Major Member

Correlation <> Causation.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well done ToyCen

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6212110&postcount=3

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Quick aside. Why was ToyCen banned? I apologize for not following the bbs ins and outs, but I guess this has been a blind spot of mine over the last few years here bc I just stopped paying attention to his threads. So now, ToyCen=TexasStake? How long has he had 2 user names? If it's the same, then 1) that's a circumvention of the ban and 2) you're not supposed to have 2 in the first place. So, is this a fact that it's the same person? If so, I guess he'll get banned again.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

16. Nook

Nook Member

I live in Chicago and it deserves it's reputation. The gang problem, violence, organized crime and political corruption is out of control. Poverty is a huge problem in Chicago, but hey it is in the black neighborhoods so who cares, right?
    The attitude in Chicago is disgusting... Not in my neighborhood, but who cares what about the South Side.

17. Nook

Nook Member

First, they are not "isolated" areas, they are adjacent to other high population areas. Second, the logic you are using applies to most major cities... Crime tends to be in pockets. Third... Lots of INNOCENT people life on the South Side and areas such as Elgin and Aurora outside of Chicago. You cannot reasonably expect someone to completely avoid all these areas and they are easy to stumble into. Chicago also has a huge drug problem, poverty issues and organized crime.

18. Nook

Nook Member

If anyone cares.... In the last 48 hours 22 people in Chicago have been shooting victims... So far 2 dead... Why? Well the weather is better..

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Don't you find this odd, though? 48 = 2 x 2 x 12. But 22 (2 2) = 2 x 11. And then, 2.

RIP to the affected, but I would bet the government has made up all these numbers (sloppily) to just enforce their agenda against concealed carry.

[/toycen]

20. ItsMyFault

Biased post is biased. Not really surprised you decided to chime in with your negativity like you usually do about Chicago. You always exaggerate things, this post and your previous posts regarding Chicago have shown that.

It doesn't deserve its reputation because of how the information is spread. People are usually so misinformed about safety around the city... I've been asked if I've worn a bulletproof vest walking around Chicago as if it's a war zone or something. There are surely problems, nobody is going to deny that. But the problems aren't any different than other major cities who have issues with things as well. It's not a "who cares" mentality, the problems definitely need to be addressed with more authority, but it's not bad everywhere. That's all I'm trying to say, and for whatever reason, the good is never shown but the bad usually is.

Call the areas what you will, they're areas where you don't have to be unless you want to be. It's not like Detroit where problems are scattered everywhere throughout. Of course innocent people live and work in those areas but that's their choice to live there in those areas though a lot of them really have no other choice (because of poverty) so I can't exactly blame them either. If you're smart, you can definitely avoid those areas, just like any other city with its bad areas. Nobody has denied Chicago his its problems just like any city has theirs, but Chicago most definitely gets a too much of a bad label when it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

#60 ItsMyFault, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014