1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

There's probably a million threads on this topic (but none on the first page that I can see) and it is probably beating a dead horse, here but here it goes any way:

Yao playing 24 minutes or less a game and not playing at all on the 2nd game of a back to back is not working out - correction, WILL NOT work. I know some might look at this as a knee jerk reaction and it is true that we have not been given any favors with our schedule so far. However, I think we all underestimated how difficult it would be to work Yao back into the flow of things, especially considering he has become a part-time player. What is also frustrating is watching Yao starting to come alive on offense, only to see him have to go out of the game because of the minutes limitation that is on him. I would not be surprised to see Rick Adelman lose his mind over this. This re-evaluation has to be done sooner, IMO, like in the next week instead of December.

The West is too competitive for us to get off to a mediocre start. I would rather see the Rockets gamble and let Yao play 35 minutes a game and if he gets hurt, then he gets hurt. You can still use an effective platoon system of Dampier and Miller if that does happen.

I know we have other problems like our guards not being able to play a lick of defense, Battier's deteriorating game, Adelman's puzzling bench rotations (not playing Jordan Hill much but playing Hayes at center for example), etc. However, the chemistry is being ruined, IMO, by having this "experiment" done on our team.

As others have said, you win in the NBA by having superstars. There was a time when Yao was a superstar - is he one now? I don't think he is. Brooks might become a superstar if he can gain consistency and try a little harder on defense. Scola and Martin are both great complementary players but the types that need help to carry a team.

I look at the Rockets roster and see the talent but I also see an 0-3 (probably 0-4) record as well. And that frustrates the hell out of me because it doesn't have to be that way.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good points Manny...but this sounds a bit, I don't know, familiar... :p

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

why wouldnt you look past the first page :confused:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree that the organiztion just needs to let Yao play.

The Rockets are good to great with Yao playing 32+ minutes.

The Rockets are decently good with Yao not playing any minutes.

The Rockets are below average with Yao at 24 minutes.

We are doing the worst possible thing for the franchise.

DD

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think we're almost too deep, lots of moving parts that need to be put in their place. Give it time but I agree on Yao and his 24 minute limit.

#5 rockets934life, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree with everything 1000%

Play Yao & let the chips fall, 0-3 you gotta change the plan before it becomes 0-5 or 0-6. :(

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know if I agree with just throwing him back out there for 35 minutes and hoping for the best. The whole point is to make sure he recovers and have him healthy late in the playoffs. Maybe this will help, maybe it won't...but I'd rather not risk it at this point until he can be evaluated after a couple months of wear and tear. But I do agree that toward the end of the season and into the playoffs (well, hopefully playoffs lol), there need to be no limits on him. We have to see what he can give us in order to move forward in the offseason.

I do agree that it is terrible for chemistry. I think sitting on back-to-backs needs to be the first thing to go ... like by the end of the month.

I also think that if we stick to the 24 mins for a while, it needs to not be such a strict schedule ... by that I mean don't try to play him 6 minutes each quarter. If he starts out hot, play him 8 or 10 minutes in the first quarter then rest him till the 2nd half. Against the Nuggets, he was doing well then after he came back in the 2nd quarter, the offense wasn't even looking for him. Might as well get what we can out of him to start the game while the offense is focused on him. This can vary by game, but I say if he's hot, let him keep going until he gets tired or goes cold. Even if it means he has to sit out quarters at a time.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

^^

On your last paragraph, DHR, I wonder who is "scripting" Yao's minutes - Adelman or Morey?

9. Prince

Prince Member

well just think of Yao as having a foul trouble in the game if you can't accept this role. We have so many options in scoring, having Yao play more than 24 is not good for the team and Yao himself.

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'm fine with the Rockets playing Yao for 24+, minutes at least for another month. They are playing poorly on defense, but they are not being totally outplayed. If anything, Houston's deep roster isn't necessarily a bad problem. It's always worse the other way around, not having enough talent. I'm certain Adelman will find the right combination. We have talent, which gives us (too much) flexibility in game, and as assets, so we're sitting pretty, in an ugly duckling sense. And barring any major injuries, we will go on a run which will make us soon forget 0-3.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

/Thread.

Right?