1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Alternative to Round Out the Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 24, 2006.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Rawle Marshall.

He's a 6'7" SG who the Dallas Mavericks have been developing for over a year. He showed some nice flashes last year, including in a rare start he got against the Rockets. He is being apparently being shipped to Indiana in the Anthony Johnson trade, supposedly as "cap filler". It appears that Indiana plans to waive Marshall after the trade, unless Atlanta somehow wants him in the sign-and-trade package Indiana is making for Al Harrington.

Assuming Marshall is waived by Indiana, I think the Rockets should try to swoop in and pick him up. I believe Rawle has a team option for 2007 at the league minimum, so picking him up off the waiver wire would be a cheap, easy move. He might like the prospect of competing for rotation minutes (or possibly a starting spot if he can outshine Kirk Snyder in training camp) over returning to Dallas and playing behind Terry, Buckner and Ager.

This would be a smart move by the Rockets, both fiscally and basketball-wise. Unlike many of the trade threads on this BBS, this would actually be a REALISTIC roster move, well worth taking on a 15th and final contract (subject to subsequent trades).

Thoughts?

2. Pocket Rockets

we already have too many 15th men potentials on our roster...

we might as well pick up a nbdl player...
    we need another player that can come in and play now and contribute efficiently
    IMO of course

3. ced

ced Contributing Member

I like this guy a lot.

I think he would be a nice fit on our team for the final spot. I know a lot of people would like another big, but he would bring a def. diversity off of the bench. I would cut Bowen to make a roster spot for him, if they still choose to bring in another big.

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I wouldn't characterize Rawle Marshall as "15th man" potential on the Rockets roster. I honestly think he could crack the rotation on this team. Remember, the Rockets don't exactly have the backcourt depth that Dallas does. Heck, why did you think the Mavericks were STARTING Marshall late in the year. I know they wanted to rest their stars, but they also are high on this kid's future. I'm just hoping that the Rockets can take advantage of the Mavericks trading him away.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

BimaThug,can you please tell me more about him. Is he different from Snyder in his skillset? Does he appear to be a better player than him? What is his intensity level like? Can he play at the 3 as a reserve?

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with your opinion, but...

Can the 82games PER numbers really be used on a guy who only played in 23 games, and only 10 mpg at that. I'm sure he was in the game at the end of a lot of blow-outs, where the other team still had starters or actual rotation players trying to catch up a bit....or some wierd anomoly like that.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Marshall looked pretty good against the Rockets, in one game.

9. kwchan

kwchan New Member

Marshall is said to have Josh Howard potential, and the last i checked, howard was the x-factor in the dallas game plan. a kid who can score 20 pts without one play being run for him.

If Marshall is half as good as Josh Howard is, he will be an asset to the club.

He's 6'7" and could add depth at the 3 position, especially if battier gets a lot of minutes at the 4.

My only concern is that Dallas thought very highly of Marshall, and I am pretty sure that they already assumed that he will be waived by the pacers, and could try to get him back. does anyone know the rules regarding re-signing a waived player that way?

10. ced

ced Contributing Member

I thought there was a rule established that players that are traded and then released couldn't be signed back to the team that traded them. I think it was a rule that was in place after the Gary Payton trade a few years back.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Marshall is probably not as good a player as Snyder, but he does have similar athleticism. Plus, Marshall is longer than Snyder. Length is something that Dallas, Phoenix and other teams are always high on. Marshall has the long arms to get into the passing lanes. His jumper is so-so but not non-existent. Again, the Mavs felt strongly enough about Marshall to start him in 9 games this past season. On a team with such guard depth, that is saying something. In his nine starts, Marshall averaged 5.6 ppg, 2.1 rpg and 0.7 steals in only 17.5 mpg.

12. Tameway

Tameway Member

No, they are no help.
    Maybe Bettier will be a 8 rpg player in the season.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

60 days before a player can (re)sign with the team who traded him IIRC.

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The rule is that the player has to wait a certain amount of days (30 or 60 or something) before he can re-sign with a team that just traded him. It doesn't close the loophole, but it does hinder it a bit, if a guy is traded during the season.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

20 day wait period in this case...If the Pacers had a "handshake deal" with the Spurs I assume they would wait until 21 days after the trade before waiving Rawle to ensure no one steals him off waivers. I don't know much about this kid, but I hope the Rockets have someone with an eye on scouting him in case we do have the option to pick him up...

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Well, it looks like talk of Indiana waiving Rawle Marshall is a little premature.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=2528464

"Both Powell and Marshall are young and talented players who possibly can help us and we're excited to take a look at them," Bird said. "Their experience with a championship-caliber team like Dallas last season gives them the mentality of what it takes to win at the highest level."

Oh, well. Indiana has a crowded backcourt (although much less so now with the departures of Johnson and Jones): Tinsley, S.Jackson, Jasikevicius, Armstrong, Daniels, and possibly Eddie Gill. We'll see if they hold onto Marshall.

17. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

How about Kelenna Azubuike?

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well teams can still steal him off waivers no matter when they waive him. The team with the worst record gets first dibs on a waived player and so on. And our record was pretty bad.

19. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

I would say thanks for the hustle, wish you well and cut Bowen period...!

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If Rawle Marshall gets waived, we should jump all over him. A minimum contract for a long 6'7" athlete who beat us to a pulp when we played against him last year. Very low risk.

Qyntel Woods is another player that is flying under the radar right now after actually making a decent comeback on a horrible team. I'd offer him the minimum immediately and see if he swallows at the chance to play with 111.