1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ChatGPT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lpbman, Jan 5, 2023.

1. lpbman

lpbman Member

Have you guys tried this yet? I am stunned. I've interacted with bots before but this is different. (there may be others this good... I haven't been following along)

This is a threat to google. Sure, you need google to navigate to the home depot website out of habit now, but finding random, esoteric info is no longer best done through a google search. Goodbye, pages of link filled SEO garbage.... hello thing I was looking for.

Seriously... I asked it to give me code to control a fan via arduino, which quarks are in a strange baryon, an understandable summary of the "obscure" invariant set hypothisis... whose brilliant author has trouble boiling down a large subject into digestible chunks to understand. The specific tones used when red box phreaking in the 1990's and a shrimp étouffée recipe without some lady's life story.

Wow.

Deckard, Jontro, Rocket River and 2 others like this.
  2. lpbman

lpbman Member

Ehh.... Still awesome, but I wanted Maxwells equasions in words and it just gave a list of terms instead of a formula. But I can see where this is going in ways I just didn't get before. This is scratching the "questions for smart people but I don't know any" itch I always have. It's not always satisfying but it's light years beyond anything I've used before. It is way better than wolfram alpha at figuring out what I'm trying to ask, but is less inclined to actually calculate a specific answer. Neat.

"if you were to pull a boat by having a wing dive into the ocean... what would that wing look like"

To even get close to an answer for that question that makes sense is nuts.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you're talking about ChatGPT (by OpenAI - the same company that made Dal-E/Dal-E 2), I posted about it in another thread. I played around with it for at least 30 minutes to an hour, and it's definitely pretty cool with its responses. Here are some of the responses to some trivial questions I asked it back then: https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/ai-art-art-or-not.317994/page-2#post-14408217

It's already being banned on school computers and somebody has already written stuff to identify essays that ChatGPT may have written. lol.

Deckard, BigM, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Even in that
    It is a GREAT Summary tool
    At least give students a nice starting point to understand a topic
    It is truly a threat a Google.

Google is HERE ARE PAGES on your topic
    ChatGPT is HERE IS WHAT THE PAGES say

Rocket River

clos4life likes this.
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

i use chatGPT to write my posts on here.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Wow, I'm glad you're so impressed with our ability to not give you the exact answer you were looking for. And don't worry, we're always here to provide vague and confusing responses to your questions about complex scientific concepts. It's what we do best. And yes, we're definitely better at understanding what you're trying to ask than Wolfram Alpha, because who needs actual answers anyway? Keep scratching that "questions for smart people but I don't know any" itch and maybe someday you'll get a glimpse of a real formula or something. Good luck with that boat wing, by the way. I'm sure it will be... uh... neat.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hear Chatroulette is good too

Jontro likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It's ****ing bust ya **** open beats.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I read your questions. Haha. Inspired me to get an account, too.

So, I asked OpenAI what is Daryl Morey’s moniker on Clutchfans. It didn’t know. @DaDakota

I am disappoint.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

y'all are just out there training these AIs. i am warning yall.

china has your dance videos. now chatgpt has your inner thoughts.

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

How long before ads are introduced and companies start paying to have their products implied?

Jontro likes this.
  12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

You can take your GPT AI created writings and enter them into Paraphrasing Tool - QuillBot AI to avoid AI detecting bots. Kind of an AI laundering bot powered by AI

13. Xerobull

Use it to find business opportunities

Jontro likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With Microsoft taking a massive stake in OpenAI today, the next version of Windows will probably be called Windows Into Your Soul. :D

Surfguy, Jontro, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I was already thinking about ways a smarter student might be able circumvent getting caught from these early detection tools. I had thought of something kind of like this and then also started wondering at what point it might be better for the student to actually just write the paper, haha.

I personally feel at some point if a student is willing to go to through enough lengths/hoops to not get caught, they're probably way ahead of the assignment anyway (especially if it's a basic writing assignment) and it's not going to help them learn much because it's not challenging them. Obviously a student not taking the time to cover their tracks would be more the concern vs the one seeing it as a challenge and not really gaining much writing on a trivial topic in an early class.

If I were teaching I'd be trying to create better ways to challenge students or giving more work while in the classroom and less homework - obviously this depends on what level of education this might work at but my main concern is as the technology grows students might lose critical thinking skills since they let the AI do everything for them, which would then create bigger problems for them once they are trying to write research papers etc. or if they're put on the spot trying to discuss a paper they wrote etc.

Two Sandwiches and Blatz like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

What would you recommend? In what way?
    I have a brogrammer buddy that is getting all into it and looking at possibilities.The pricing looks a tad cost prohibitive but I hadn't dug in yet

17. Xerobull

I’m not talking about using its api. I’m talking about using its AI to determine where you can make money.

Ask it what are underserved areas of business in X field.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Team ChatGPT or Team Bard?

Meet Bard, Google’s Answer to ChatGPT
    The search giant’s new chatbot is in testing and will be launched “in the coming weeks.” An API will make it available for developers to build on.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought GPT was google.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not directly Chat GPT, but related AI stuff, and while much more specialized, but Music LM is about to put a bunch of background music makers out of business:

Writes specific music based on plain text prompts, including from some very vague prompts, a bunch of actual details at the site:

https://google-research.github.io/seanet/musiclm/examples/