1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chat with John Hollinger Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Oct 27, 2008.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I wanted to post a question that I asked John today about the Rockets. I like to watch the chats on ESPN weekly but damn they never talk about the Rockets. And if they do, it's always something bad about them. So here you go. It's not much but I tried.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think if Brooks is healthy, and with the addition of Brent Barry, we can afford to reduce Rafer's minutes to under 30 a game. I hope.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Don't hold your breath.

4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

It's not like Rafer was trash. He did really great last year compared to his other years. I think he needs to work on his 3 pointers. The Rockets are going to need shooters more than anything this year. Rafer, Barry, Brooks, Head, Artest, and T-Mac need to be able to hit. There's going to be a lot of traffic in the post this year.

5. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Haha, way to pin him down. Sadly, he's right though. But, I don't care, I mean I prefer fighting out of the under dog corner anyway.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Rafer is never going to become a good three-point shooter. We just have to accept that. He is what he is, and he isn't getting better at this stage.

Strengths:
    Good perimeter defender, can direct traffic on the offensive end, isn't afraid to shoot when he's open

Weaknesses:
    does not create or finish well off the dribble, can be overpowered defensively by stronger guards, not a cool decision maker under pressure, isn't afraid to shoot when he's open

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Make Rafer shoot 500 three pointers per practice! Get on it...

8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I mean he's right but then again, it's the same old song. What if the Rockets are healthy come playoff time? PG is the only thing I've heard in a while that could be an issue. I also think playoff seating will be important too. That's going to be crucial for this year I think.

9. dutchbut

dutchbut Contributing Member

The first two games of the Utah series should tell you Skip to My what ever is the best point guard we had and without him we could not beat the Jazz. That being said I think he will help us win this year as well as the rest of the team.

If we get that elephant off our back this year the rest of the league will just be playing for first looser

10. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Exactly correct, Mr. Hollinger.

Missing one of the three in the playoffs will prevent us from winning a championship. They are usually out a third of the year each. There is a big chance that one of them will get hurt if we have a deep playoff run. It's scary but true.

The hype is always high in Houston and it always gets derailed by injury.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. "Seating" in the playoffs is the most important thing to me, and probably everyone else here.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

affordable floor seats would be nice

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Steve - Houston: Come on John, You never take any Rockets questions. What would the rockets have to do to change your mind to see them in the finals? Don't tell me health. Talk about something else.

John Hollinger: If there's a #2 item, it's point guard play -- it's a big stretch for a contending team to be getting 35 minutes of Rafer every night.

Sheesh, I agree.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...and none in games.

15. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Obviously we're unbeatable when fully healthy.

I don't think we lost a game in 2008 with our starting 5.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your question sucked, no offense.

I'm so tired of reading fans on this site who lash out at the media for using the health of the team against the Rockets.

They haven't been healthy now in awhile.

That's like saying "Come on media, stop being biased! Evaluate Shaq as a 4th quarter player without discussing his free throw problems!"

17. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Rafer hit 8 three pointers in one game last year against the lakers who also run point guard by comittee.

18. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

19. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

LOL!!!

20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Well I see what you're saying but I disagree. People want to hear new things rather than the old things we hear all the time. This team is deeper than ever. I as well get tired of hearing folks talk about the media saying things about the Rockets' health as well.

But as a fan, you want to hear more about the team rather than its health. We all know about the Rockets' health. But what are other factors about the Rockets? You don't always want to hear about health and that is my point.