1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Aug 17, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Actually the reward is 100k points for spending 4k in the first three months. That's valued at $1500 in travel but honestly if you book the right deal, that can go up in value to $2000+

Also on top of that, you get $300 in travel reimbursement every year. And since this annual cycle overlaps two years (2016 and 2017), you can get the $300 twice this year. So that's $600 in reimbursements plus the 100k points. That's 100% worth it.

Plus you get 3 points per dollar on travel AND dining. That's a hell of a deal. And you can just redeem the 100k in cash back if you really wanted to.

2. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

The deadline to apply for the Sapphire Reserve card, and be eligible for the 100,000 points bonus is Jan 11th.

Those who have it already - is it worth it? Are you making back the $450 annual fee from the different card features?

LCAhmed likes this.
  3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

If you travel, $450 annual fee easily gets paid for through:
    Global Entry $100
    $300 back on travel
    Lounge Passes.

It pays for itself pretty easily.

srrm likes this.
  4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I do end up traveling quite a bit, and those 3 things you listed are key things I'm wanting.

Thanks for the rec!

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The lounge passes are part of the Priority Pass Select level, which is not particularly useful to me. That said, the ability to move points to either United or Southwest has been very convenient.

srrm and justtxyank like this.
  6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yeah my Amex Platinum has better perks but the Reserve just racks up the points.

Basically you can use the Amex platinum for airline tickets and then just hold the card for perks, use the Chase Sapphire Reserve for dining out, bars and all travel that is not airline tickets then get you that Amex Blue Prefferred for 6% back at the grocery store, 3% gas station and 3% department store.

That's about the best way to game the system

srrm likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have over a million chase points. Is that considered a lot?

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Just signed up for this card. Pretty pumped about it.

Right now my situation will be:

Flights, Hotels, Restaurants - Chase Sapphire
    Costco, Gas - Citi Costco Card (4% back)
    Wireless Services - Amex Simply Cash (5% back)
    Everything Else - Capital One Venture (2% back)

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Totally worth it if you travel to transfer the points to southwest or whoever your preference is. Also 3x points on food and travel is legit

srrm likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's definitely worth it.

You want a referral? Get me a few thousand extra points bro!

srrm likes this.
  11. justtxyank

Make sure to browse the shop through chase feature when you use one of these cards. Occasionally you'll find something with huge point bonuses that you were going to otherwise purchase on a different card. I managed to put all of the corporate gifts on my chase card and earn something like 12% back and then get the cost reimbursed.

srrm likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

srrm likes this.
  13. justtxyank

14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, but sorry dude I actually sent the application in last night - didn't notice the referral!

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The lounges are quite hit and miss. Some of them are really good like in the middle east and one in India and some of them of them are really bad. The Houston ones aren't that great. I have been to 5 in Europe they were mostly mediocre. Istanbul wasn't that bad. The ones in Japan were kind of crappy.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I would still say Chase Ink Preferred is the best business card, especially in terms of rewards. A close second to me would be Amex gold/platinum for business.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I used it to get automatic Emerald club status at National.... allows you to pick any car they have available, and you only have to pay the midsize rate.

Between that, free Global Entry, the 100K points, the $300/year travel reimbursement, and triple points for dining.... its really a traveler's dream card.

18. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

How does the referral work? I just referred 2 people this week lol? I didnt know there was a referral bonus.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As an aside, sometimes a higher rate car (eg. SUV) costs less than a mid-size. You can rent that one and still pick from the Emerald or Executive (if you qualify) aisle. I've done that a few times with National's blessing.

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

The lounge in Narita is pretty sweet.