1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Aug 17, 2016.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The Points Guy says

though this card even with the Visa Infinite doesn't have the $100 airfare credit.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card/

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

may look into it. currently use capital one venture as someone else stated. pretty much use it for everything. have had long week stays covered or airlines ticket(s) through united taken care of also.

other than the sign-on bonus, global entry, etc... what else does it offer?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have not heard about this. Pretty interesting. I may have to give up the CSP and go with this.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

FYI got approved for this yesterday, 100k UR point bonus if you spend $4k in 3 months, makes the Sapphire Preferred card look basic. I already hit my Sapphire Preferred bonus last month and look forward to doing the same with this one when it comes in this week.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

All I'm using at the moment is a Discover It and Chase Freedom. Gotta step my rewards game up.

6. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Just got this yesterday and pretty excited about the reserve. Going to cancel out my CSP and go with my Freedom now.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How long is this offer valid for?

I think I may jump on it considering I am going to be purchasing a couple of tickets soon (~$3,500) for international travel in December. $4k in 3 months would be a breeze.

$400-$500 back would be nice.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

This card is similar to the American Express Platinum and the Citi Prestige. Would love to bounce on the this card with the 100k bonus but unfortunately not sure if I will get approved nor if its worth having since I'm paying for the Platinum and the Prestige currently.

9. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

You can typically book Southwest and United flights only on this credit card right? And a couple smaller international airlines.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

As far as point transfers? Depending on the airline and what alliance they are a part of, your options can open up. For example, you can transfer miles to the Korean Airlines FF program and book certain Delta flights.

You can also use each point as 1.5 cents towards any travel booking through their portal. That is highest value in the industry and gives you at least $1500 worth of travel from the 100k bonus offer.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing that sucks is that the 450 is not waived the first year so I am guessing you have to pay that upfront, correct? Still, for 300 dollar credit, the card is very much worth. It has a lot of good benefits as well.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just got one. There is a club with complimentary food at the Ryder Cup I can get into with this card.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the authorized user fee is why I am not upgrading.

14. jsingles

jsingles Member

For the longest time I've needed to relook at rewards programs. I've been stuck with Amex Blue and my Wells Fargo Cash Back CC. 3% on grocery and 2% on gas and retail stores has always worked for me, guess I need to see what I've been missing out on.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'd visit The Points Guy -- Tons of great, unbiased articles on what to look for depending on your spending and how some cards fit your lifestyle. I've really learned a lot over the years just reading his blog about different cards out there.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

If it's anything like the Citi Prestige, the $300 travel credit is based on calendar year, so you'd get it twice in the first year.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's more of a hobby than anything. It can be a headache thinking about how much spend you need to do on XYZ card in 3 months or staggering when to cancel cards to avoid the annual fees.

It's also difficult to fully optimize points redemptions to give you the highest cents per point value; the credit card/"churn blogs" also paint a rosy picture about award redemptions.

That being said the idea of the 'aspiration vacation' is super appealing. I currently have 15+ credit cards and juggle a host of annual fees, expiring points and minimum spends.

The easiest no headache CC setup is a no-annual fee 2% cashback card like the Fidelity 2% or Citi DoubleCash cards.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have the sapphire preferred card. I applied for this and was given the "you will receive a decision in 7-10 days" So I assume that I will be denied.

It's annoying I was going to charge a lasik surgery on the card and get the bonus 100k.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

You're approved!
    Your card and Cardmember Agreement will arrive in 7-10 business days. Your Cardmember Agreement has complete information about the rates and fees associated with this account.

Your credit line is $20,700.00
    Your purchase APR is 16.24% variable

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

False, I got same response. I called chase sapphire preferred line and they actually approved me and expedited it.