1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chase Budinger draws interest from French, Russian teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

It’s still a small, but growing, list of NBA players who are preparing to find employment overseas as the league’s lockout heads toward the one-month mark. Put Houston Rockets swing man Chase Budinger on that list.

According to Budinger’s agent, Kevin Bradbury of BDA Sports, he has spoken with teams from Spain and Italy on behalf of Budinger, but the most serious discussions so far have come from teams in the Russian and French leagues. Bradbury declined to identify the teams, though.

“Chase is a gym rat,” Bradbury told Sporting News Feed. “So, of course, he wants to play and keep working and improving. If he can’t do that here, he wants to go overseas and do it. There has been a lot of interest from teams there, especially in Russia and France.”

Budinger has played two seasons with the Rockets. He averaged 9.8 points and 3.6 rebounds in 22.3 minutes last year, which saw him make 22 starts.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...nger-draws-interest-from-french-russian-teams

2. Damion Laverne

So his agent is trying to peddle him as the second coming of Chris Mullin?

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Makes sense for Chase to do. For the success he's had so far, he hasn't been paid much at all. He probably can't survive long in a lockout without an alternate revenue.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't know how much sense -- he's the starting SF of the Rockets right now. If he goes overseas, he might not be able to return.. and consequently, lose his starting gig.

I'm not sure that's worth it, unless you get an opt-out clause.. but I imagine only the star players would be able to negotiate one of those.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For Chase and any other professional basketball player in the world, the most lucrative financial contract they recieve will most likely be their second contract after their rookie scale deal in the NBA.

If Chase is looking to go overseas its most likely to stay in shape, work on his skills, and not regress in time lost due to the lockout. At little bit of cash from a French or Russian team in the meantime would just be the icing on the cake.

Chase knows the deal he is really looking to get is the one he will be due to recieve in the NBA next summer, and that is why he is so heavily focused on having an incredible season this next year even in a lockout shortened season. The contract that will last him his prime years of his pro career all rest on the fate of his improvement next winter IN THE NBA.

For me as a fan of Chase, I think this shows how much he cares about next season and that he is putting in the work to be a longterm NBA pro.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, from what I've read my impression is that all NBA players under contract have to get an opt-out clause to return after the lockout to be allowed to move by FIBA.

I think getting a bunch of NBA visitors for a half-season is probably pretty disruptive for the foreign leagues. Still, it's probably good business to do it.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Interesting, I haven't heard that. I know that the big clubs of Europe will not take on a player with those terms. These guys are fighting for the playoffs and "leasing" a player for 4-5 months could do more harm than good.

But perhaps some of the lesser teams/leagues would be agreeable to it.

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

It wouldnt be a bad experience for a few months.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Budinger, Hill Consider Playing Overseas

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110722-budinger-hill-consider-playing-overseas

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

It's a wise move and a good way to see other countries.

Just make sure their teams or their agents get insurance for them ...

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You wont regret it Budinger. Seeing things around the world and living in Europe for a while? Thats the way to go if you can.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Smart move by the players. And for players like Chase they might make more money while the lockout lasts.

DD

13. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

He got paid about 1.2million in 2 years.... If he managed his money well, he is ok!