1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Oakley dogging Patrick Ewing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Apr 17, 2020.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Oakley has a book coming out or something?

BossHogg713 and Slyonebluejay like this.
  3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

True, but players, like Rodman, Miller, and Stockton are revered though neither were near the overall player that Pat was.

I'd lose this one or struggle, but he was and should be considered greater than Karl Malone.

4. Asian Sensation

Patrick Ewing not a franchise player? In what crazy ****ed up world?

Dude had a legendary career. He just couldn’t get by MJ and the Bulls but he pushed them to the brink during the 92 and 93 seasons in the playoffs and of course 1994 he nearly beat our Rockets in the Finals. Ain’t no shame in losing to MJ or Olajuwon. He was absolutely a bonafide franchise player.

Side note. The 91-92 Knicks had Oakley, Anthony Mason AND Xavier McDaniel. Yes this X-man

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/h...ound-the-locker-room-fully-erect-after-games/

“McDaniel prioritized manhood. Specifically, his own manhood. According to McDaniels’s teammates in Seattle, he often walked around the Sonics locker room fully erect after games, hanging towels on his hardened member. Also, he fought people-and he fought them constantly.”

tinman and AXG like this.
  5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

OT: Ewing maximized the Knicks as much as any player could. Can't believe I have to do this, but I'm defending Ewing? Oddly enough, it's mostly from old heads, not Gen-Z, millennials, and other youngsters.

Is he as good as Magic, Bird, or MJ? Absolutely not.

Is he in the same tier as Dream, Kareem, or Wilt? Of course, not.

Ewing is still an all-time great center and player who gave the Knicks, much more than deserved.

The Knicks have been a poorly-ran organization, since the 70s. When I say 70s, I mean 1970.

Ewing was and still is the only hall-of-fame talent they've drafted in over 50 years. I'm aware they've drafted Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland, and Michael Ray Richardson. Lately, Porzingis is the only one that stands

*He never played with another all-time great player in their prime. He just didn't. That's a major handicap, if you are going to be playing for championships. Starks, Mason, and Oakley were all fine players. Not perennial all-stars or players who create their own offense or were great playmakers (except Mason). Even with Mason, that's not an aspect of his game coaches recognized until later in his career.

* The Knicks did manage to get Allan Houston, Latrell Sprewell, Larry Johnson, and Marcus Camby, but Ewing was passing his prime at that point, especially with the injuries. JVG's biggest weakness was offensive creativity. Even with all of those great offensive talents, they were average "offensively."

*Riley and JVG push the "defense wins championship" mantra and won in many regards, but lost in major. Great defense will get you as far as great offense, but you have to be somewhat well-rounded. Like the Bulls, Spurs, or Rockets could all beat teams in so many different ways. The Knicks again mostly defense and hot shooting nights. Again, who is creating offense, outside of Ewing. You can tough guys who can defend, but some of them have to be able to score, too. This is why they'd be super beatable by most modern teams. They were pretty much built to stop one type of style...y'know that strong half court, nothing in the paint defense. Because, that's how most teams go their points. That style was slowly dying in the 90s, because of ball movement and 3 point shooting.

*The Knicks did maximize their team's talent on the court, from 90-2000. Most of the time. I feel like that put a valiant knight's effort against the Bulls. They didn't have the same kind of talent and use as much at their disposal as the Bulls. Came close, but generally no ... difference is MJ. Or later Olajuwon or even Miller.

- The Knicks are still awful cap and money management. They also keep making short-sighted trades.

In Ewing's defense, if another all-time great player took his place. It would have changed Knicks' history, very much. Still massive disappointment compared to LA, Boston, and Chicago.

AXG and Slyonebluejay like this.
  6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

"We might make a lot of money, but we also spend a lot of money." -Patrick Aloysius Ewing

tinman and plutoblue11 like this.
  7. PeppermintCandy

I totally agree with your take on Ewing and the late 80s/early 90s Knicks.

Defensively, that team was one of the toughest of that era. They often couldn't buy a basket, but they would still batter their opponents into submission by the end of games. I think they would have eked out one championship title if it weren't for the Bulls and the Rockets.

At the tail end of his career, Ewing did have one more opportunity at a ring, when the Knicks went from 8th seed to the finals in 1999. That team with Larry Johnson, Latrell Sprewell, Allen Houston, and Marcus Camby (with Jeff Van Gundy as coach) peaked at the perfect time. Sadly, Ewing's body broke down and the Spurs crushed them.

Oh, as for Oakley, he was a great basketball player, but he strikes me as kind of a sh**ty human being.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Yep.

Oakley also said he “did not punch Barkley” at a late-1990s players’ association meeting, contrary to popular belief.

“I did, however, slap the s–t out of him,” Oakley said.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley was a much better player than Oakley

I like how Oakley tried to bully Otis Thorpe
    But OT and Dream showed the Knicks who the toughest front line really is in 94

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Oakley is a piece of ****

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Oakley didn’t want no smoke with Thorpe. OT was as strong as he was. And quiet, he might have whipped Oakley’s behind if it came down to it.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

OT could’ve picked him up by his collar or wrap that glove around Oak’s head and dragged him off the floor and nothing he could’ve done about it.

tinman likes this.