1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charity Game in KY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rojogrande, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I can confirm a slight increase in weight, but it didn't look like something to get all freaked about.

I wanted to go to his autograph session Sunday night, but I didn't make it down to Lexington. One of these days I will actually meet the man in person.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rojogrande

Rojogrande Member

Well in the game tonight CLee stole the show. Finished with 38 in a 112-97 win over the Big Blue squad. CLee had 10 at the half but went for 18 in the 3rd. With that said not much defense was played by either squad. Few of UK players were feeling the effects of last nights game I believe. Chuck didn't do much but grab a few boards. Jeremy Evans of the Jazz posterized him and Harrelson a few times. Patterson wasn't able to make it either.

Courtney showed off some athleticism I haven't really seen from him by throwing down a 360 and a between the legs dunk late in the 4th.

Game was basically a glorified pick up game, but was sti entertaining. Was good to see Courtney again in person.

--Rojogrande

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I wish they would have been able to make some of these games on a Saturday... the only barnstorming game that was on a saturday was too far away :(

I would have liked to see the WKU/UK match up

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Stop making excuses for Chuck. He fat.:)

5. Flipsail

Flipsail New Member

It was a fun match up to watch while the lockout is in effect. Hopefully, they'll make these Jim Valvano Charity Games an annual event. For the people like us in Bowling Green, the nearest NBA venue is 4 hours away. Anyways, Chuck is quite the prankster . . . he looked fine out there . . . very entertaining . . . he played the "shot clock" prank in front of us and got his opponent to heave a shot with 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfejUV4zbz8

6. Prince

Prince Member

Hayes, UK alums play another lockout exhibition

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqDzBAIUm3b0lQ58qhnf92u8vLYF?slug=ap-kentuckyexhibition

Hayes, UK alums play another lockout exhibition

EXINGTON, Ky. (AP)—As much fun as these exhibition games are, Chuck Hayes(notes) is ready to get back to work in the NBA.

The former Kentucky forward was one of 19 players who played in an exhibition Monday night between a team of former Wildcats and a team made up of alumni of Kentucky’s rivals.

Hayes’ contract with the Rockets expired after the 2010-11 season, and he’s an unrestricted free agent.

“A lot of these guys know where they’re going and know where to show up whenever the lockout ends. I don’t,” Hayes said. “I have no idea. That’s the only frustrating thing to me. Besides that, I’m just waiting like everybody else.”

Because of the lockout, the Big Blue All-Stars—featuring Hayes, Rajon Rondo(notes), Jodie Meeks(notes) and Keith Bogans(notes)—were ble to complete a nine-stop barnstorming tour at various small gyms against college teams across Kentucky.

The tour concluded Monday at Rupp Arena where The Villains won, 152-149.

The Villains’ coach was Christian Laettner who, while at Duke, hit a turnaround buzzer beater to beat Kentucky in a regional final of the 1992 NCAA Tournament. The shot, and Laettner’s reaction, has become one of college basketball’s most iconic moments.

The exhibition played up the fans’ dismay for Laettner. Shirts were sold at the arena with “I Sill Hate Laettner” across the chest.

In the fourth quarter of the game Monday, an official called timeout to wipe up a wet spot. Laettner grabbed a towel from his bench and went to wipe it up. He got on all fours and spent extra attention shining a spot on the free-throw line corresponding to the one from which he hit his memorable shot.

While he was wiping up sweat, Hayes walked over and flung a bit of extra moisture on the ground, drawing a considerable applause.

With about two minutes left in the fourth quarter of the exhibition, Laettner went to mid-court to argue with an official. He was given two technical fouls and was ejected. Afterward, Laettner and Big Blue All-Stars coach Rex Chapman admitted it was scripted.

“We knew we were going to get me tossed but when somebody started slipping on the floor, a fan behind me yelled, ‘Laettner, wipe up their sweat!”’ Laettner said. “That wasn’t pre-planned, I just thought it was a good idea. Everybody started taking pictures on their little cameras when I did that.”

It was the second time in two months Meeks had played in an exhibition at Rupp Arena. The first was a game between the Dominican Republic national team, coached by John Calipari, and a similar group of UK alumni in the pros.

Meeks, of the Philadelphia 76ers, was hoping he didn’t have to come back even though exhibitions like these are his only chance to play in anything resembling a real game during the lockout. Monday’s game was scheduled before a round of negotiations between the NBA owners and the National Basketball Players Association. If the lockout had ended then, event organizers said Monday’s game would have been cancelled.

“We felt like it was a realistic possibility to miss games before, but it does feel a little different now that it’s right here,” Meeks said. “But we have to wait for the right deal. We can’t afford not to. I really have no control over it, I’m just trying to stay optimistic.”

“”I mean, nobody’s ever going to complain about extended vacation,” Hayes said. “But you would like to have some kind of income. You would like to be able to do what you love.”