1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Charania] Jason Terry Progressing towards a deal with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 13, 2015.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

This is what I thought, but I like bringing back JET, he was such a great locker room guy.

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

... and then we will go to work on free throws.

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard Steve Kerr, very late in his career, being interviewed after a dramatic game winning shot for the Spurs. He talked about the arc of the end of his career.

At first he thought he could contribute one more season. Then the reality of age said that is no longer true. So he thought he could put together a few games at a time, then stretches with in a game, and finally to come in to make a specific play.

Terry is somewhere in that chain. Look at his as a role, not a position. If he gets significant PT we are in trouble (especially starter minutes). But if he comes off the bench specifically to hit a few threes, space the court, or calm everybody down, he will make a tangible contribution. If he is brought in to perform all of the functions of a point or two guard, it can be ugly.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Championship teams are filled with vet min guys like like this. Good locker room guys, can trust them for some minutes and trust they won't f*** up.

1 person likes this.
  5. battousai

battousai Member

Signing Terry is a good move and his presence as team leader-ish role is important. However, we are still left with holes in a solid backup PG role and a starter-ish type at the 4. No way we will be able to get a starter PG at this time. maybe Dwill type that can split 50-50 PT with Beverly would be the best outcome. (if he is to be brought out by nets)

at the 4, we really need a consistent player, Jones after last two playoffs and reg season left me pondering how much more consistent could we get out of him?

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I really, really, really want Terry to win a chip with the Rockets.

In addition to all the obvious joys, it would take that much more a chunk out of the collective MFFML soul.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If we trade for a starting PG, say like a cheap trade for Lawson, and maybe a Nick Johnson is sent out in the trade so we need a 3rd/4th string insurance player/coach, I love Jason Terry in the role, especially with his locker room presence.

If he has to or gets to play minutes like last year for us on a consistent basis, I'm not looking forward to that.

8. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

To play the role he was acquired for, heck yeah. Great player and teagcher.,

To those of you that think he was supposed to play like he had to what are you thinking???

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We'd be a nice Pablo replacement at the min, but being a great looker rom guy doesnt negate that fact that he can't defend other guards any more, and he can't shoot as well. I dint want him on the the court for more than 10 min a game.

10. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The man can't shoot anymore.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Terry was the best 3-point shooter on the entire team last year (39%), so that's a rather bizarre take.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As long as it is for 1 year, ok with it.

13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I remember seeing him clank away in the playoffs.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Went down a bit in the playoffs to 35.5%, which is still solid. That said, I think the obvious explanation for Terry's postseason inconsistency is that a 37-year-old shouldn't be playing 29 minutes per game. If he goes down to a bench/spot role, which he had in the regular season and should be in moving forward, he is absolutely still a good shooter.

15. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

potato

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Generally what happens when you have a fossil playing over 20 minutes a game.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

BRAH, I don't understand why you take the time to reply then.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope you are joking. Look, I'm not trying to give Airdough a hard time. Had he made a comment similar to the one Dubious made, that Dorsey was useful to bang with Howard in practice, in other words, largely a practice player, I would have only disagreed with the idea that the Sixers would take him off our hands for nothing. Dorsey isn't completely useless (although McHale might think so, based on the minutes he gave Dorsey in games during the season), but when I read or hear the word "mentor" used, I think about a guy like Terry mentoring our young guards. A player with deep experience (and a championship pedigree, in his case) to show the ropes to guys that don't know which end is up. The idea that a team like Philadelphia would take Dorsey as a mentor, with all due respect, is something I find absurd.

Hey, I'm sitting on a balcony facing the Caribbean on Isla Mujeres, typing on a iPad, "busy" relaxing on vacation. I would say that life is good had I not seen the disturbing report from a member, which I hope is wrong, that Dekker needs back surgery. I've had back surgery. Not a groovy experience, particularly in Dekk's case, being a rookie NBA player and all. I'm not going to spend any more time discussing a dude that I hope is playing anywhere else next season. :)-

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Quote from a bandwagoner.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Good to hear