1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Charania] Jason Terry Progressing towards a deal with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 13, 2015.

1. MONON

MONON Member

Super deal! He's needed for his leadership & 5-10 min in the playoffs.

2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

You're content with that PF rotation? That won't get it done in the West with Dmo coming off of back surgery and Jones constantly struggling.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The point is : so called locker room leadership is over-rated, if the Rox will have a better player who can contribute, any min salary guys whose contribute less could be gone also.

Francisco Garcia even was in the lineup for the first 15-20 games, he was not doing much at all.

4. underrated015

underrated015 Member

I know I'm in the minority but resigning terry is very huge for us. His vocal leadership helped us get over the clippers. Get smith back and we are good.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He knew Mavs were trash after losing out on DJ...

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

There's Hardens guard help.

But seriously this is a great move for the locker room ( Fingers crossed he doesn't see the floor much)

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Meh hope it's for the vet min.

Sigh it appears it will be the Bev and geriatric show again at PG.

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think we still get one more player via trade so terry is the 3rd pg

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Excellent news. Let's bring Smoove back, sign Augustin and re-sign KJ.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

This probably means no big trade for a starting PG. Still room to sign/trade for a backup though.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Unexpected but would be awesome.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It will be fixed by the trading deadline!

*Currently looking up 35+ year old PGs*

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Bev played in pain via injury most of last season. He will be even better this time around.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wouldn't surprise me if it more than the minimum. Paying Terry 3-4 million could be Morey angling to use his salary as trade filler down the line.

15. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Leadership and communication wise Terry is just as important to the squad as H&H (the 3 man meetings amongst them mid season come to mind), Welcome back JET! ✈️

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Love having Jet back, and in my humble opinion, veteran leadership on the bench and in the locker room is not "overrated." There's an obvious need for a deal (or deals) before the season starts in order to trim the roster down to 15 players. Obvious to me and to everyone else here, no doubt. Gonna be a trip to see who goes and who might join the team (2 or 3 for 1 deal) in the process. I sure hope I end up liking the fallout from retaining Terry.

Another thought. We'll probably have to give up a pick and possibly a player (players?) in order to rid ourselves of Dorsey, a rare stumble by Morey.

17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

If Terry gets a 1-year deal, he'd have a full no-trade clause, since if traded, the receiving team would no longer have bird rights. At his age, can't imagine he'd accept a trade to any non-contending team unless he were absolutely buried on the bench.

18. mightybosstone

If this is for the veteran minimum, I'm totally fine with it, but I'm not remotely as excited as I would have been with the addition of Thornton. I kind of think those two guys cancel each other out in terms of assets they provide and the amount of minutes they'll actually play. And both Thornton and Terry don't help address the Rockets need at PG.

If Houston ends up adding a quality backup PG or (even better) trading for a starter that pushes Beverley to the bench, there's just not remotely enough minutes for Terry and Thornton in the same rotation, even if McHale goes 10 deep. However, the Rockets have shown a propensity for injuries, so for that reason, the Terry deal does still make some sense. And he'd obviously bring leadership and some chemistry to the locker room, which is a plus.

But if Morey ends up sacrificing the MLE for Terry, which causes him to miss out on Smith and/or McDaniels I'm going to like this deal a hell of a lot less.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A one year deal would be fine with me.

20. Airdough

Airdough Member

Dorsey is only owed $1MM, he will just be waived if he doesn't make the roster and we can't add him to a trade for matching purposes. Far easier to swallow his contract and he isn't seen as a malcontent. If anything Philly would take him to mentor their young bigs without receiving another asset on top of Dorsey.