1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Charania] Jason Terry Progressing towards a deal with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 13, 2015.

1. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

When Harden is on the bench? Or is your plan to play him 48 minutes? Thornton is not even close to a point guard, he is just a scorer.

Terry isn't a PG but can play the pg position because he has an entire career playing that spot e.g pnr with Dirk. Due to this experience he knows how to get us into our offense. At his age he is a 2, but still has enough point guard skills...**** we got to the Western Conference Finals with Terry starting.

Actually yeah, if we can't keep Terry, Ridnour would be a solid 3rd point guard considering the lack of options. He isn't a risk to try and do it all himself and get carried away shooting the ball, is experiences enough similar to Prigioni to get guys like Dmo the ball in good spot and run the offense.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Remember that the Rockets are not hard capped at this point. They can can exceed the apron and offer as many minimum wage exception salaries as they want without activating the hard cap. The minimum wage exception is a kind of security net for teams to allow them to continue to be able to add to the roster as needed regardless of where they are in relation to the apron.

As long as the Rockets do not use more than the Tax Payer MLE (which they used on KJ), the Bi-Annual Exception or if they do not do a sign & trade then they will not activate the hard cap.

This is why it is important to take care of Harrell before they sign Jet. If Harrell would be willing to do a minimum wage rookie deal like KJ did last season then the Rockets could sign Jet to an minimum wage contract with out activating the hard cap. It would put them right at the apron but they would continue to be able to sign other players at minimum wage deals if they wanted to.

I haven't heard any news about Emeka Okafor lately so I'm not certain where he is in his comeback. But just as a hypothetical, suppose Okafor is ready to comeback in November and he is willing to sign a 1 year minimum deal with the Rockets and the Rockets want him. If the Rockets have to use any part of the remaining MLE to sign Harrell then they will have to shed enough salary to get far enough below the apron in order to accommodate a minimum wage contract. Shedding salary most likely means giving up a draft pick so some team like Philly will take one of our players for no salary in return.

But if the Rockets sign Harrell on a minimum wage deal (1 or 2 years) then they will not activate the hard cap. Even if they exceed the apron to sign Jet, as long as they use a minimum wage exception then they can be over the apron and still offer Emeka a minimum wage contract.

They could theoretically be over the apron after signing Emeka and still add additional salary by adding more Minimum wage exception contracts or even trading a lower salaried player for a higher salaried player (the 125% rule). A team that is hard capped can not exceed the apron to take back salary.

That type of flexibility is important for a team during a season to protect itself against injuries or to allow the team to improve during the season. So I can certainly understand why the Rockets are not rushing to sign Jet until they have signed Harrell. I don't think there is any chance the Rockets will trade Harrell just to free up additional space since I think they actually place a fairly high value on him, similar to the value they placed on KJ.

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Harden needs to make that mental switch that Hakeem, Jordan, Kobe etc... made early on that the game comes first. He's still soaking in the spotlight.

Regarding the earlier comment, I don't think you can have two many stabilizing locker room presences, especially when your other star stopped emotionally maturing at 8 years of age.

4. hakeemthagreat

Him dating a Kardashian isn't a step in the right direction either

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is how I remember it

Game two against GS, we get the ball, one point down seconds remain. Ball gets into Harden's hands and he brings it up. Gets off balance, kicks it to Howard who gives it right back to our best player.

The location of the players at that point. Curry and Thompson stay on the beard and never left with the pass to Howard - the right place to be, as we soon see. Howard could have driven. But considering distance to the hoop (and time remaining) that is a traveling waiting to happen, and there was at least one GS player under the rim.

Terry was in the right hand corner three and open. He was where he was supposed to be. Basically everybody else was a bit like the little league team that has 9 players chasing the ball.

I think that is what Terry brings to the team. Trust the system, run the plays, do your job, hit the open man. I'm sure coaches tell that to players every day, but they need to see it on the court.

1 person likes this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

I swear you and dobro are so much alike. It's uncanny, almost like you're one and the same....hmmmm

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are leaving out one important detail in terms of the cap and vet min deals.

If they are One year contracts the league picks up the tab for anything above a second year players minimum salary and that smaller figure is what is used to calculate the cap.
    If the deal is longer than One year the team pays the full salary and that is the figure that is used to calculate the cap.

This is likely the hangup for Terry , he'd probably take the min but wants more than the one year. The team just cant offer that extra year since they would be on the hook for the entire figure which would put them over the apron.

I agree they probably want to hang onto Harrell but the use of the MLE essentially hard caps them as well.

Rock / Hard place.

That's where trading Harrell's rights and absorbing the incoming salary with the Shved TPE becomes advantageous. Not saying its likely , just that it allows them to retain flexibility for mid season moves by avoiding the hard cap.

1 person likes this.
  8. crash5179

I don't know who dobro is but Clutch or any of the mods are welcome validate to anyone that this is my only account. Not sure why I would want two. Carry on.

9. crash5179

Very accurate and good info. No easy choices at this point.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm wondering if they don't mind losing terry that much b/c they feel like his departure would open up a bit of playing time for KJ, both at the 2 and perhaps he'll be able to guard a lot of pg's as well

11. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Why is Harrell posting in Rockets photos and stuff when we are not even sure about signing him? We're screwed if a PG or PF goes down.

12. rockets13champs

Why dont we trade for jamal crawford instead of resigning Jason Terry. Terry might even get a bigger contract if we sign n trade terry for crawford

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why do we need Jamal Crawford? I'd rather just roll out KJ McDaniels to get some playing time.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told Jason Terry contemplating a contract offer from the Pelicans.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/630501724180975616">August 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I just knew he was leaving, bye bye Jet, going to a better organisation or at least away from one who doesn't value you.

16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Obviously the rox think highly of KJ. But man. I wish he could figure out how to
    Hit the broad side of a barn. Our offense needs sharp shooters and KJ is far from it.

17. NotChandlerParsons

Why would the Clippers trade Crawford to us?

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The pelicans are a better org. Than the rockets? Lol smh. What's around with you?

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm sure the Rockets would love to bring Terry back after what they were able to accomplish last year with him as an important piece to their success .....but they have cap issues and no way around them.
    What that means is , if Terry really wants to come back , he'll do so on the Rockets terms (cap's terms really) because he makes the same dollar figure either way ..... Its just a matter of the length of contract and cap impact for his team (2nd year player min salary cap hit vs 10yr vet min cap hit) , the Rockets point blank being unable to offer anything more than one year while teams not flirting with the apron can offer a 2nd year.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Dirty troll is dirty.