1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Charania] Jason Terry Progressing towards a deal with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 13, 2015.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bev is not injury prone. Also, Lawson has had this problem for a while now and it has never affected him on the court. I don't see why now should be any different.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

And no **** you ask a 38 year old to chase around the likes of Strph Curry and CHris Paul, obviously his defense will be ****

He was brought in to be a veteran presence and hit a few threes in about 10 mins per game. Not play 30 mins a game as the PG

Guy did well in his bench role and was shooting about 40% from 3 land

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think not signing Terry is as much a disaster as some posters here think. With Hayes on board, the locker room intangible is not that crucial now.

I can understand the outcry because of last two seasons' glaring hole at the PG spot. Yes, Beverley was a great find. But in the grand scheme of things, he didn't really contribute much to our playoffs success because of his injuries. That position has been paper thin for a long time since we lost Lowry.

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Pbev all out play 94 feet of court as he says has led to some early season injuries for him. Hopefully with Lawson being added, Pbev will see less minutes and will be able to preserve his body longer this season. The 3PG would only play if some injury happed to Lawson Or Pbev or both.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There's still some pretty good FA's out there to replace

R.Butler
    B.Gordon
    W.Green
    J.Richardson

All vet wings players that can hit the 3

Or if we decide to go for a big we couldn't go wrong with Boozer, R.Evens or G.Davis. Beasley is also a interesting FA, the dude has tons of talent but he's obviously had his off court problems.

6. Asian Sensation

It's not so much a talent issue that makes Terry hard to replace but rather what he brings with his knowledge, locker room presence and know how when it comes to winning.

I think if we didn't sign Thornton it would've been a no brainer for Terry to return but the PT and extra Million that's gone makes it more complicated. I have high hopes for Thornton so I'm good either way but I really hope he returns.

7. BleedsRocketRed

Just sign the damn man, like are we really going to need roster flexibility next year? Our team would be loaded at every position almost and we'd have one of the deepest teams in the league.

For once can we just go into the season without having to look at making some trade or deal for the sake of deals?

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Here the DM bashing that I was addressing:
    Signing or not signing Jet is a lot more than just staying or not staying within a budget. And if Jet gets significant playing time then the Rockets are in trouble. The guy was beyond bad most of the time during the play-offs last season. No defense, no play-making skills and a streaky 3pt shot that is barely average anymore.

I'm pretty excited to be going into the season with Lawson and Beverly. That is a great big giant upgrade from who we had manning the position during last seasons play-offs. I'm fine with Terry as an emergency fill in at the PG spot but I'm not ok with him getting any significant playing time. Having said that I absolutely have trust in DM to do what needs to be done.

This off-season is already an A+ and signing or not signing Jet doesn't move the needle one way or the other.

1 person likes this.
  9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Ariza has an NBA championship
    Brewer has an NBA championship
    Howard has led a team to the NBA championship series
    Harden was one of the key players that led a team to an NBA championship series

Jason Terry doe not move the needle one way or the other.

Montrezl Harrell probably has to be signed prior to officially offering Jet a contract. If the Rockets have to use the MLE to sign Harrell they may not even be able to use the vet minimum to sigh Jet due to the hard cap. Rakeem Christmas who was drafted after Montrezl received a 4 year 4.5 million contract. Jordan Mickey is another player drafted after Montrezl and he signed a 4 year 5 million dollar contract starting at 1.2 million in the 1st season.

If the Rockets have to give Montrezl 1.2 million in season 1 then they activate the hard cap and leave the Rockets with only 834 million in cap space (remember that Christian Wood has a partially guaranteed contract). Not enough to sign Jet and not even enough under the activated Hard Cap to sign anything more than a rookie or 2nd year player to anything more than a minimum wage contract.

10. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Baron Davis and Stephon Marbury are still balling. Sign em up.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That's why the Rockets offer is fair. I'm not saying the guy is garbage, but you can't guarantee him PT and he isn't worth more money than what he was offered. Heck, even a two year deal is too expensive.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ah, well with comments like that posters like PJ86 don't deserve to be taken seriously. I think the rest of us that are pro-Terry are far more even-keeled.

I don't necessarily disagree with your line of thinking, we just have different tastes. For as many championship contenders that emerge on a yearly basis, there are just as many that crumble for various reasons. Chemistry (or lack thereof) is often the reason for that. Somebody like Terry that serves as a player/coach can have a huge impact on a team like ours. Harden is obviously our leader, but he's not exactly your prototypical "take command" type of vocal leader. He's more lead by example. I like the idea of somebody slightly outspoken with championship experience at the end of the bench to keep these young guys in check.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

What PG skills does Terry have? He sure wasn't doing much effectibe ball handling/creating in the playoffs.

True, but Hayes is a solid veteran presence, I really don't think losing Terry is that big a deal.

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

At some point, Harden has to be your locker room leader. We need to stop thinking we need older players that add that presence.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not hitting the hard cap at this point is difficult not to do.

They cant even offer Harrell anything more than the standard two year 2nd round minimum deal without hitting it. We all know Morey would love to lock Harrell up in a 4 year deal instead of that 2 year deal.

Also they can only offer Terry a 1 year deal at the minimum , anything else hard caps them too - assuming they have already signed Harrell.

Looking at the roster , I don't know how they can free up any $$ either .... All this with only 13 players under contract.

The only option I see is trading the rights to Harrell for a player on a cheap contract and absorbing that deal with the Shved TPE that is ~$1.619m. This is with only DMo & Jones at the PF spot , retaining Harrell is almost a necessity.
    Or at least getting a 4 in return but odds are you wont get equal value.
    You do have the ability then to sign other vet min. players to 1 year deals .... maybe you bring in Boozer ??

It is all rather complicated by that hard cap .... which handcuffs you going forward.

16. hakeemthagreat

Harden is not ready to lead a locker room

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If they didn't sign Thor, I'd be mad about it. Time for Harden to step up and provide the leadership Terry did. Seems like JT could have been a good influence on Lawson though.

18. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

And who is the point guard if Beverly gets injured dueing a lengthy lawson suspension? THINK!

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Harden would be. I mean what's the difference between Terry, and Thornton, B.Gordon outside of locker room presence? Terry isn't a PG either, might as well sign another wing, put Thornton/Harden at the point.

Look at the market for PG's, do you want Bynum, Ridnour, Sloan, Ish?

None of the guys are really roster spot worthy.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Beverley is definitely injury prone, check his game logs.