1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Charania] Jason Terry Progressing towards a deal with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 13, 2015.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

LOL at your guys crying over Jason Terry not signing for what was offered. You were the same guys screaming that the "Rocket Killer" was signed by Morey.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

With the documented success the Rockets have had acquiring younger undervalued point guards with good upside instead of more proven vets that were no longer productive on the floor, i'm surprised to see any posters bashing Daryl Morey for not "Going All In" on Jet. Do the names Kyle Lowry or Pat Beverley ring a bell to anyone?

First and foremost the Rockets have gone "All In". They are just trying to figure out the best way to sign Montrezl Harrell, a 3rd point guard and still have enough cap flexibility to add a player or make roster moves during the season if a special deal materializes or if a player gets hurt.

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Acquired Lowry with Rafer Alston.
    Acquired Dragic with Aaron Brooks.
    Acquired Beverly as a project from overseas.
    Acquired Terry with what? A second round pick? Someone remind me.

Morey will get it done.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Who cares. We got Ty Lawson and Pat Bev now. I'll guarantee you Lawson will have his head on straight during the season. Its really the off season when you need to keep an eye on him.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Once Morey puts a figure on a player, that's it. He'll let any non super star walk before overpaying them. As he should.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Sounds like a Mavs and Cuban fan.

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually, the Kings traded Hume away to the Rockets, or more specifically, they dumped him.

And whatever dumb things the King did the last few years, trading him away actually was the right move.

No need to glorify a 38 yrs old player whose one minor injury away from retirement.

8. Asian Sensation

Does your surname happen to be Dawson?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets got Terry *and two second round picks* for the non-guaranteed contracts of Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson (which were previously acquired in the Omer Asik trade).

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Ty/bev/harden
    Harden/Kj/Thornton
    Ariza/brewer/dekker
    Dmo/jones/Harrell
    Howard/Capella/Hayes

Would love to have him back but honestly when would he play? He would be the new nick Johnson fighting for garbage minutes

11. TheresTheDagger

Ty Lawson will be suspended and has an alcohol problem. While he's been ok in the past, he's no guarantee to be ok going forward. Denver gave him up for peanuts for a reason.

When is the last time Pat Beverley was truly healthy?

Depth is ALWAYS welcome.

12. hakeemthagreat

38 yr old who helped us advance past the 1st roubd:rolleyes:

I know veteran leadership & locker room presence isn't a advanced metric stat you can analyze, but almost every fairly young successful team has it. I remember last season when Terry formed a meeting with James & Dwight where Howard told James "it's your team now". That is an example of a veteran presence making a difference. The season before that we had Jeremy Lin in Terry's place, and you what happened then. Don't underestimate leadership, experience & locker room presence

13. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Sign little Nate Robinson and call it a day.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone is "bashing" DM at all. There's just a lot of people, myself included, that think Terry is a great fit for the aforementioned reasons and want him back.

That said, the point Raven made is spot on: DM has a set price in mind and isn't going to budge. If Terry feels he's being low-balled, he needs to either lower his standards or look elsewhere because it's highly doubtful DM is going to sweeten the pot. Frankly, that's the way it should be. I definitely want JT back, but I also understand sticking to your guns and not exceeding your budget. Obviously, I'm still hoping Terry and DM can get on the same page as far as a contract goes. If it doesn't work out, so be it. Confidence level in DM is still at 100%.

Normally, I'm all for the diamond in the rough thing, but the reality is we can/will contend this year. We need players that are going to give us the best chance to do that, and there's definitely a case to be made that Terry's contributions both on and off the court best serve that cause when looking at third string PG options. Continuity is your friend.

We've tried the "lights out shooter that can't defend anybody" experiment with Daniels. We've tried the "only out there for their defense, but, hey, at least he has some skills and some upside" thing with Johnson (as opposed to Craft who has zero skills or upside). I mean, who's left? I get it that DM has a knack for finding PG talent and underutilized players, but for right now, I can't think of a better option for third string PG.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what is the price DM has in mind and is sticking to? that JT only deserves a partially guaranteed vet minimum contract instead of a fully guaranteed one (which would be paid 100% by the league anyways)?

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He would be ferocious and probably give Beverly fits.. Can flat out ball and take over if Lawson got injured for stretches. I think Beverly gets moved by the trade deadline anyways.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Fighting for minutes..? I think you guys have the wrong idea about Terry's role would be. His role is locker-room veteran and 3rd string PG in the depth chart aka emergency PG if either Ty or Bev go down with an injury. He may also get spot minutes here and there for good shooting on the floor.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That I don't know. I'm just getting the vibe this is very similar to the Josh Smith stalemate (minus the concerns over playing time). "Here's our offer. We would love to have you back, but take it or leave it".

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Everyone is completely undervaluing Terry's amazing performance against GSW. I mean without him and his stellar defense the Rockets would have won approximately the same number of games.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Forget on the court

We lose a veteran leader and voice and locker room presence and a champion

You think Howard and Harden going to listen to big butt fat arse career scrub Chuck Hayes?