1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chappelle's Show: Lost Episodes Show on Comedy Central

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rrj_gamz, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That's the story that Comedy Central put out, DC's version is different of course.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What is Chappelle's version? Censorship?

In Blender, the show's co-creator or whoever said he would never work with Chappelle again. I think that says alot.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Comedy Central has had a few decent shows go off the air fairly soon for whatever reason.

Tough Crowd w/ Colin Quinn
    I'm With Busey
    Strangers With Candy
    Stella
    Upright Citizens Brigade
    Trigger Happy TV (?)

#23 dc rock, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. Master Baiter

I've seen several interviews, Oprah I remember and I know there was another one too but can't remember. I also believe that there is an article as well. I'll see if I can find it.

5. Omer

Omer Member

Yeah lot's of rumors and different opinions about what actually was the problem.

Here is an excerpt from USA Today that I read:

Read full article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-07-05-chappelle_x.htm

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This seemed off, because I knew those guys had worked together for a long time, but I googled it and it is true. I don't know where to find the whole interview though.

http://www.thecouchsessions.com/articles/001988.shtml

Neal Brennan disses Chappelle
    By: Stone | June 26, 2006
    Hot off the presses. Maxim magazine has an exclusive interview with Chappelle's show co-writer Neal Brennan where he just straight up says that he would never work with Chappelle again.

Was it the insensitive laugh of a Chappelle's Show crew member that caused beleaguered comedian Dave Chappelle to quit his hit Comedy Central show and bolt for a mental facility in South Africa last May? Apparently so. Neal Brennan, Chappelle's writing partner of 10 years, tells the July issue of Maxim that a crew member's hard laugh during a racially insensitive skit might have caused Chappelle to fly off the handle: "Well, this particular crew member had a condescending laugh- but that's just the way he laughs," Brennan tells Maxim. "But, yeah, that was Dave's feeling, and you can't change someone's feeling. "
    Although the lost Chapelle's Show episodes will air on Comedy Central on July 9, Brennan tells Maxim that since the comedians bizarre departure, things were never the same. "What happened in the last year is the weirdest thing I can remember happening in TV, movies, or music. There's no parallel," Brennan says. "These lost episodes are the weirdest thing since Geraldo opened Al Capone's vault. The audience likes them. The crew likes them. One of the people who wrote them likes them. But the guy who's in them somehow didn't. I don't know what to make of it."

And don't bet on a lovey-dovey reunion between the two ex-pals anytime soon. When asked if Brennan would ever work with Chappelle again, the response was crystal clear: "No. There's no chance."
    I'm sure that Brennan has a right to be pissed. He's out of work. But damn, I'm sure that there is more to this whole saga than originally thought. Charlie Murphy still has kind words to say to the dude though.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

who knows what really happened, but all I can say is I wish didn't flake out...Definitely one of the best shows ever...Yes, I said it, ever...pure genius...

Overall, I think he left because it wasn't as good as it was...You can tell last nights episodes weren't as funny as the first two seasons...

And c'mon, stop ruing my thread with Carlos Mencia crap...This guy sucks now...I survived his first season, but man this season sucks arse...

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL, "well you can head back home now, to your husbandOH WAIT.... HAHAHHAHA"

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Something about the fact that you knew DC didn't even want you to see these episodes made them suck even more in my mind.

Comedy Central has been very tight lipped about it, and they're just showing these episodes to bilk the last bit of money they can out of it. They promoted them for MONTHS like it was the second coming of Jesus, and lo and behold, its just some scraps left behind by a comedy legend.

I probably won't watch the rest of this "mini season".

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Complete f*cking idiot. The kind of popularity he had made the show something bigger than himself. In cases like that- the Simpsons and South Park for example- it's almost an obligation to keep the show alive. Don't feed me that "they don't owe anybody anything argument" either. It's weak and gives too much credit to the artist.

I imagine it just got harder to make himself laugh, even though the public still loved the material. I don't buy this whole "going out on top" BS though, which should be reserved for the domain of sports. He just didn't have the balls to stick it out and work within the system, which is to say, to produce material on a schedule. I'm sure that was one of the things that got to him, and probably fuelled his belief that the scenes they were shooting were comparably mediocre.

He's always had an irrational anti-celebrity fear (crybaby spiel about Biggie/2pac, love you/hate you relationship, unique situation for black stars), and created a context that didn't exist to justify the exit in his own mind.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My $0.02, based on the media reports, Chapelle's comments, CC's comments, Chapelle's comments during his "Block Party" show in Houston, etc: He absolutely wigged out, but not from a party lifestyle. He wigged out because of the pressure to match the Rick James/Wayne Brady episodes, the pressure to use the money in the right way (he takes the charity aspect of Islam seriously) and the way the money changed the people around him.

The religious aspect of all this seems to be the most important to him, and least talked about in the media. It was a big contradiction for him to embrace islam and its fundamental principles about community while at the same time making tens of millions of dollars putting out R-rated comedy. Not a big deal to us, but he seems to be genuinely torn by it. I believe that's why he (a) insisted for over a year that the new sketches not be completed/aired and (b) he refocused his efforts in the form of the Block Tour, which is more "constructive."

Sucks for us, but it's what is important to him.

The Office (BBC), Arrested Development, Chappelles Show. The greatest comedies that couldn't last.

Evan

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

no doubt there. i havent liked much on TV for a long time but those 3 shows i can watch. now nothing

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I felt weird watching it, almost like I was betraying a friend. :(

I wonder if Darnell and Charlie are still on speaking terms with Dave.

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

"in 1994" I laffed everytime I heard that in the clip. Hilarious.

15. Master Baiter

That was my feeling as well. :(

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I subscribe to Chappelle Theory. If Oprah, Jesse Jackson and Bill Cosby didn't simultaneously show up at Chappelle's bedstand holding a jack o lantern- I think the show would be running.

17. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Did any of ya'll see him talk to James Lipton on The Actors Studio?? I'm to lazy to type today, but he did a great job explaining on why he walked away and the reason he ran off to Africa..

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i love James Lipton's interviews. i don't blame DC for doing what he did.

19. Master Baiter

That was the other interview that I saw.

20. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

He will be on CNN with Anderson Cooper tonight at 10 (EST?)