1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changing up the Astros' Batting Order

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Fever, Jun 13, 2003.

1. The Fever

The Fever Member

With Bagwell in the worst slump I have ever seen him have, I think Jimy should shake up the lineup a little bit. I think moving him down in the order a little bit would take some pressure off while he finds his stroke. Here is my lineup card:

1. Biggio--On base % seems to be rising over the last 4-6 weeks
    2. Blum/Ensberg--Both have played very well, Ensberg especially
    3. Berkman--Hit great in the 3 hole last year.
    4. Kent--Since so many managers bring in a lefty to face Berkman late in the game, that same lefty will have to face Kent. Kent tears up lefties. Not only that, he is the best RBI man on the team.
    5. Bagwell--Strange seeing him in the 5 hole, but this will allow him to relax a little and just swing while he regains his timing, etc.
    6. Hidalgo--His comeback this year has been great. Hitting him behind Bagwell will mean better pitches for Baggy.
    7. Ausmus--It's a good thing his defense and game-calling are so good. Sometimes it looks like his bat has a big hole in it.
    8. Everett-Huge suprise with the bat, his defense is above-average. The team has been on a huge roll since his call-up.

Putting Baggy in the 5 hole after this series with Boston would help him and the team IMO. He needs to get jump-started, and he isn't getting it done in the RBI department. I think the added pressure of struggling and leaving runners on base is hurting him and the team...There were a couple of chances for him yesterday, and he failed to deliver. This may help him regain his stroke a little bit with a little less pressure.

Next up: Work on getting some starting pitchers before the bullpen collapses!

Any thoughts?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Basically you are suggesting a Bagwell for Berkman swap. I wouldn't mind seeing them do something to shake Bagwell out of the doldrums. The only negative would be that Berkman has been incredibly productive since moving him to 5th.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I said from Dec 19 (when we got Kent) that the order should be Berkman-Kent-Bagwell or Kent-Berkman-Bagwell.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'd say it's worth a shot. If moving Berkman puts him into a slump, you can always switch them back around.

5. The Fever

The Fever Member

I have always heard that the team's best hitter should hit 3rd. I would say that Kent is our best hitter, but he has been absolutely nails hitting cleanup. Therefore, Berkman is next best option. I can't believe how his batting average has jumped in the last month or so. In addition, I bet opposing managers are more fearful of Berkman hitting 3rd than they are of Bagwell hitting 3rd. I agree that Berkman has been hitting great in the 5 hole, but I'd like to get him an at-bat in the first inning of every game. Sometimes, that will make for a 5th at-bat at the end of the game, and right now, I'd rather have Berkman get that 5th at bat than Bagwell.

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I like the order...maybe just keep Ausmus at the eight spot--his bat sux right now...

#6 wouldabeen23, Jun 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  7. Summer Song Giver

I'd put Baggy in the two hole with some legit protection in Berkman and Kent move Blum/Ensberg or Doggy into the five spot with the other at six. I think if you move Baggy down you instead put more pressure on him. He already knows he's slumping, put him somewhere where he'll get max protection in the order and maybe he'll see some pitches to hit and be able to focus on doing his job at the plate like bunting and moving runners along. Basically take some of the game out of his head for a while which you could do if he bats second. If you move him down I don't believe there will be a reduction in pressure, the man expects a great deal from himself and will look to produce where ever he bats. That being said I fully expect him to turn it on this weekend in Boston, just you watch!

8. PhiSlammaJamma

We're still winning. Let him be. Baggy will come out of it.

9. BALLhog 247 365

my new lineup:

1-biggio
    2-kent
    3-ensberg
    4-berkman
    5-bagwell
    6-hidalgo
    7-ausmus
    8-everett
    9-pitcher

10. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I'm thinking Ensberg will be the 2004 MVP.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why would you put kent 2nd? That makes no sense whatsoever.

12. BALLhog 247 365

switch kent and ensberg. i typed it wrong.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can tell the difference between butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yes, his bat sucks right now, but he's also batting in front of the pitcher. I'd like to see him in the 2 hole for a bit, with Kent, Berkman, Bagwell, Hidalgo following him. He's a slap hitter, he can lay down the sacrifice bunt, and with these guys follwing him, he might see a few more good pitches to hit.

I would also love to see Williams take the thong out of his ass and move Berkman to the 4 spot. Putting a lefthanded power bat between Kent and Bagwell would give opposing managers headaches when putting in late inning relievers, as this could make them dig further into already tired bullpens.

Just my dime minus 8 pennies...

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wonder how Jeff would feel about that though?

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

1. Biggio
    2. Ausmus
    3. Kent
    4. Berkman
    5. Bagwell
    6. Hildalgo
    7. Ensberg/Blum
    8. Everett

I would actually like that, if it didn't mean putting Ensberg at the bottom of the lineup. I don't know if that's productive or not. From what I do remember though, it seems like when Ausmus batted in the two hole a few years back, he did fairly well.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ausmus did okay in the 2 spot, but then he cooled off...much like every other spot in the lineup he has manned. There is no way I would bat the guy in the 2nd slot in the lineup. He is way, way, way too likely to hit into a double play for my liking.

18. spence99

spence99 Member

Put a .200 hitter 2nd in the lineup when Ensberg is hitting .322 there? No way. Plus, Blum and Ensberg put together lead the Astros in RBI's for a position. They are doing good batting 2nd. Ausmus is good at defense. Who would you rather have 5 at bats? Ensberg or Ausmus? You would be giving Ausmus more at bats than Bagwell, Kent, and Berkman. I'm sorry, but that's a stupid suggestion.