1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changes to the Rockets Front Office Management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 7, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This has been looming in my head throughout the playoffs. I see all these players that we lost through the goofups our front office did (Cassell, Najera, Jefferson, Horry, Shaw, etc.). The other teams end up w/ good quality players who go out there and do what they have to do to win, and we end up w/ crap on our end.

Why does Houston always end up getting screwed on their end? Do you know we should of had a line up of Ming, Francis, Jefferson, Mobley and Francis for this year if we didn't trade for Griffin? Instead, we made a blunder of a move and look what he has turned out to be.

Has anyone wondered what the hell happened to the player that we got for Najera? Why the hell did we waive Brian Shaw after the Portland trade? He was our best bet out of the trade! I look back on that trade and we got some crap from the Blazers. Questions that still hasn't been answered by our Rockets front office.

When you go through each squad in the playoffs, here are the 15 former Rockets enjoying the sunshine while the Rockets are stuck at home:

Kenny Thomas, Brian Shaw, Robert Horry, Edward Najera, Scottie Pippen, Avery Johnson, Walt Williams, Tony Massenburg, Kevin Willis, Langhi boy, Richard Jefferson, Brandon Armstrong, Jason Collins, Sam Cassell, and Joel Przybilla.

Sad, isn't it. There needs to be something done up there so this team can function properly. I don't want to end up being the Cavs, Clips, or the Nuggets. Maybe moving Rudy to the front office might be a good idea. What do you guys think?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Ummmmm......nah, too easy!

3. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Yeah... why not Ming, Ming, Ming, Ming, Ming? The tallest lineup ever. :rolleyes:

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We would have gone to the playoffs with that lineup. 6 on 5!!! :D

Seriously, the front office hasn't done anything (Yao falling into their hands not withstanding) since drafting Horry and Cassell and bringing in Elie. At that time, I thought we had one of the best front offices in the league, because we "discovered" Elie. Rudy's habit of bringing in CBA talent has long since dried up. See Moochie Norris.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good points, except -- Horry and Cassell brought Barkley, and a hard run at another title or two. Horry languished until Shaq/Kobe brought him in for his late season rides.

Najera was strictly a marketing ploy by Cuban -- who developed into an ok piece to their puzzle.

AJ and Massenburg have been CUT by @ 1 1/2 dozen clubs in their collective careers. AJ, a class act, finally made it later in his career and Mass has also been 'ok but'.

Bucks think as little of Przbilla as Rox do of Collier, so there's a wash (with dirty water, I suppose).

Your real point should have been, I believe, that the Nets developed Jefferson nicely and the Rox have not (yet?) done the same with EG.

Your real point should be that the Rox have not unleashed one 'find' in a long time. Or developed one player in a long time.

6. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Honestly, when did we ever make a STEAL in draft? Cuttino Mobley in the 2nd round and that's it.

7. jkg123

jkg123 Member

Shaw??? You included Shaw???

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think most of these complaints are not justifiable, though I'd agree that a couple were honestly mistakes, specifically not taking Najera and maybe the Griffin trade (haven't given up yet). You forgot to throw in the obligatory Rashard Lewis complaint. Even so, every franchise makes mistakes and the Rockets are probably actually better than average in their decision-making. I know I'm facing a long off-season -- not that the complaining wasn't just as bad during the season. Some folks are too hard to please.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Memory tells me that at one point several years ago, we had Eric Snow under contract. Can anybody confirm or deny that?

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Snow was cut by the brilliants in Seattle, disputing the stupidity exclusively runs by the banks of Buffalo Bayou...of course, they are the one's who cut Mooch and Rox are the ones who made him rich.

11. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Yes every franchise makes mistakes but the ones who make fewer mistakes become great and contend.

The Rockets are probably above average, you are right. And that is why they only have probably an above average team, not as crap as bad like Hawks and Cavs but a long way off the good like Spurs and Kings.

If you think being above average is good enough, then that's your choice.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Come on, man. It's FUN....not to mention therapeutic. I feel better already! :D

13. Rockets34Legend

I will let you have that one, but on a long term basis, who is still playing and who is working on TNT?

How can you say it was an OK piece when he is a critical part of their team? He is the scrappy player that the Rockets are missing. Offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, giving PFs fits, etc. I don't see that at all from Taylor or Griffin. Kenny Thomas use to give us that, and instead we were idiots to send him to Philly.

Both of them might have been cut by teams, but I think AJ still has some life in him. He can still be a good backup point on many teams and even start on a few. Massenburg is a good quality backup that can give you a few minutes here and there to give the centers and PFs a breather. But I don't really give much props to Massenburg.

We're even here. :)

Well, the Rockets never got the chance to develop Jefferson. The difference b/t Jefferson and Griffin is Griffin came out after his freshman year. No experience of competition. Jefferson spent 3 years in Arizona, had a great NCAA Tournament, named to All-Final Four Team, and got his team to the NCAA Title game.

I think it's just lack of research and not knowing what they are getting into when they make these stupid deals. But I hope Les thinks otherwise when it comes to rebuilding this team.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I checked his bio. I believe it said he was traded by Seatle to Philly. Maybe he visited here as a FA or something. I got this thing in my head and I can't get it out.

15. cassell4mvp

cassell4mvp Member

what could have been... if we drafted Rashard Lewis

Francis
    Mobley
    Griffin/Jefferson
    Lewis
    Ming

that is sick!

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

None of that would've been, people. Make any changes before last season, and we most likely wouldn't have been in the position to draft Ming.

17. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Rocketman95,

That is correct. Cannot cry over spilled milk, unless you want to drink from the floor!!!

Having to develop a rookie 19yr old at PF and not having Talyor , Francis and Rice for most of the season allowed the Rockets the chance to pick Ming. That is the best pick the team made in years. AND less you all forget, it wasn't a SO CALL sure thing. Ming and Bust was linked pretty close everywhere and the front office bent over backwards to MAKE SURE that they can sign Ming.

And while there were a bunch of dudds acting as NBA players that the Rockets picked, you know who, they did OK with the 2 francis players they have now.

If the Rockets had a crystal ball, they probably wouldn't have picked up Langi, Collier, and would not have given big contracts to Cato, Taylor or Moochie. But that just it, they don't have a crystal ball and AT THE TIME, it SEEMED like a good deal (except maybe the Moochie contact).

Now, they should get some flank for not knowing Boki's abilities better. Their "he's next year's 1st pick" doesn't wash. I hope he doesn't go the way of the other 15th pick the Rockets had.....

Also, I think that they need to think hard about signing EITHER Posey or TMorris. I don't think it's in their best interest to sign both to contracts unless they know Boki is a bust.

18. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was about to post the same thing.

19. Rockets34Legend

So for the above 3 posts, we have been rebuilding since 2000 then? It seems like after the '95 Championship, the Rockets have been bringing in aging stars who are at the end of their careers (Drexler and Barkley), and now they are going through the rebuilding phase. I know we can't predict the future, but the decisions made for this team has certainly raised some eyebrows.

20. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

Actually it wasnt the Rox fault that Eddie turned out this bad! REMEMBER he was considered the #1 pick by many! He was ssssssssoo good in college I wonder what happend! (Ok maybe he wasnt that good but he was WAY better then he is now!)