1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changes in Lin / James stats are revealing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jan 24, 2013.

1. cw3k

cw3k Member

It is not just Lin, anyone who carry the ball and when Harden is at the half court, they pass it to Harden. Go replay the games and you will see what I meant. They passed it to Harden, go to the corner and wait. Every single play is like that.

I think the reason why McCain (and the management) are doing this because they want to create a star out of Harden and draw another star to Houston.

2. TTNN

TTNN Member

3. rokit

rokit Member

4. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Superior pg = cp3
    Lin= average pg

5. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Anyone in their right mind would take CP3 over Lin. Just as anyone in their right mind would trade Harden and picks for Lebron. Not happening though. CP3 is staying with the Clippers, and he looks forward to whooping Houston's ass whenever the two team's meet and laughing at Rockets fans. While Lin is the Rocket's PG, whom you would think that Rockets fans would root for.

6. Fighton

Fighton Member

Let's start CP3!!! oh wait.. he's not on the team. Nevermind...

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is obvious that Lin has lost his confidence. Maybe the pressure of expectation has got to him. Maybe he is thinking too much. Maybe last year's overblown criticism about his TOs is affecting his aggressiveness. Maybe deferring to Harden makes him more timid.

Whatever the reasons, he is not playing loose. He is uptight. When you are playing uptight, you are not playing in rhythm. You can tell when a ball handler keeps picking up the dribble prematurely, he's lost his playmaking confidence. When a shooter keeps passing up open looks, he's lost his shooting confidence.

8. conquistador#11

whoa there!!!!!! that's crazy talk! Why allow the pg to run the team and set up teammates? that's democratic basketball and we have harden, no need for that democratic s***!

with love,
    K sampson.

PS: can someone find me a more comfy chair so I can lean back all the way?

9. gate470

gate470 Rookie

What he said about the Lin/Harden situation pretty much echoes what the OP said. Giving Lin the ball more won't take away Harden's game. Calvin said some really good things about Harden too, he's a great finisher, a 2 guard, all star.

To me, his reasoning for our TO's made complete sense and it's what i've been feeling for awhile. Certain players shouldn't have the ball in certain situations.

10. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I disagree... not sure how ESPN defines ISO plays, but I have seen him play most of last year, most of the baskets he created on his came from pick and rolls (Chandler and Jeffries are epic at setting screens, border line fouling every time) and fast breaks. He was shooting really well which could help the ISO stat, but his bread and butter is pick and roll.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

Gonna have to disagree with this. I don't think he's lost confidence in his playing ability. but I do think he's unsure of what his role should be in this offense.

his most recent quote from two days ago is very telling. he mentioned that as a pg, his primary goal is to get others going. the point guard should be the LAST person to get going in an offense, according to his quote. that's a complete 180 from his role last year and that's why it's a constant, season long adjustment for him to make. he still trying to figure out a balance between getting his teammates going, while getting himself going at the same time 'cause he also knows he is most effective when he's aggressively scoring. And most of all, doing ALL of this, while sharing ball handling duties with harden.

It's during this losing streak where it's even more difficult to do this, since there has been less possessions, less ball movement, and less shots to go around. harden will get his own 20 shots in there and get his points. outside of harden, it's on jeremy to get others going and get them their shots. jeremy knows that in order for them to win, someone other than harden needs to get going (especially if harden is going 5 for 15 or 5 for 20), and it's on him to get others going. I don't think it's occurred to him (or asked of him) to get himself going and become that other player, because he knows if he doesn't get other involved, no one will and they won't win playing that way.

12. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Harden must be taken to task regardless of his great skills.

You are missing the fact that Harden has totally collapsed on offense, not Lin. Lin has been inconsistent going from .50's Fg% in one game and to the 20's in the next game, but Harden was consistently low in the FG% category until the last game for the past seven games The game before last he went 5 for 20 while scoring 29 points. (FT's accounted for 19 points).Every missed shot is a potential possesion for the other team . Missing 15 shots is a disaster .He also made 5 turnovers that game .Thus he gave the opposing team at least 20 opportunities for a possesion. He made 7 turnovers the last game and makes more TO's per game than Lin this year.
    I have watch the game closely and Lin's low assits per game is directly associated with Harden's poor and posessive play. Harden handles 30% of the Rockets posessions according to ESPn stats. Lin handles 19% of the Rockets posessions while on the floor and he is on the floor for less minutes.
    Lin's assits and point production won't increase until the offense does not totally flow through him. Harden is turning into a the Melo of last year and the year before, so the Rockets. Magic Johnson said that Lin was successful with the Knicks because he brought them together. Melo did not and harden is not bringing the Rockets together.

13. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Pervious Harden post.

I made some grammatical mistakes and left out a word or two. If this has confused you I will correct the mistakes

14. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

as i have said before, don't blame James, it's pretty much a coaching issue.

15. AussieLinsanity

In the streak, Lin Chandler and Harden were doing their pre game high 5 aka Landry and Jeremy special - are they still doing it during this rut?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems that Lin has returned to form the last few games, being aggressive, getting assists, and turning the ball over :)

17. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

I have a crazy idea

Lin play pg
    Harden sg

18. conquistador#11

i have a better one. it just hit me. Next time we play OKC, what if we play Harden at the small forward spot and let him guard durant one on one.
    You can thank me for my brilliant ideas later!

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Jeremy Lin being a 25 million dollar Derek Fisher is pretty frustrating.

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Derek Fisher can shoot