1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Change of Pace.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseCat, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Live

Live Member

Well, hate is an extremely strong word, and I try not to hate those that I don't know personally.

But I will admit that I underestimated Cuttino. When he was drafted, I wondered if he would even make the team. I remembered watching him at URI, but the only thing I ever saw him do was spot up and shoot, so I was concerned with his skill level. I'll admit, I wanted Miles Simon instead, but I guess that's why I'm not calling the shots. So I was wonderfully surprised when Cat showed that he was a good, well-rounded G, capable of starting at PG for much of his rookie year.

------------------

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I didn't like the drafting of MD. I had seen a lot of Arizona games and thought he was way too passive in important games in college. I liked the fact, Bibby, Simon and Terry seemed to play with more intensity and focus when all the marbles were on the line. But MD surprised me, he is going to be a solid SG in the league for a long time. Though at the outset I liked Cuttino better because of his cudspah(sp.), and am happy to say I still like Cuttino better as a player (though tempted, I don't think I would trade him strait up for MD).

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Anything that roots back to Pippen is tainted!

We could get Shaq for Cato and Walt and something bad is bound to happen to Shaq to keep him from being a good player.

------------------
    "Bada Bing!"

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I have to say that I was very, very dubious whenever we signed Eddie Johnson off waivers... I was like, "Oh yeah, like that washed up lump of old guy is going to turn things around for us..."

(Not that he did, but well, the SHOT was worth it all)

And he had a lot of great games for us, and at the very least, found a lot of ways to contribute. He didn't really stick long, but while he was around, it just seemed like he was part of the family...

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would hate to have Malone and Stockton on the Rockets.They are the biggest cheaters in the league.

------------------

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Cuttino. At the beginning of the year, he drove me insane with some of those ugly-ass triple-team fadeaways he was throwing up. Towards the end of the season, however, he really settled down and became a much more intelligent ball player. I really enjoyed watching him play towards the end last year.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ZRB for sure. At the beginning of the year, he drove me insane with some of those ugly-ass triple-post never-fadeaways he was throwing up. Towards the end of the season, however, he really settled down and became a much more intelligent post player. I really enjoyed watching him post towards the end last year.

8. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Cuttino. I thought MD was The MAn! So, when the Rockets made the trade that sent Dickerson away, I hated Cuttino even more. Not that I hated him, but I saw him as the second coming of E.T. Only without the positives that made you overlook Sammy's boneheadedness. And while Cuttino can still be quite a bonehead, I really enjoy watching him and Steve play(even though the rest of the league doesn't). I love comparing him to Jordan during a game and then having to fight the rest of the room.

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett

9. haven

haven Member

I have to join the chorus of "Cuttino."

Well, I never hated him. But I certainly liked MD a lot better and thought that Mobley played out of control, all the time... and that his game was one-dimensional.

I think that what started to change my mind about Mobley were those great passes he would feed to Cato for dunks. You know, when Mobley would start to drive, the center would cheat, and then Mobley woudl dish to Cato for the slam. Cato has Mobley to thank that he ever scored a basket [​IMG].

You know what made those plays really special for me? The fact that they reminded me of Drexler and Chucky Brown in 95.

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

10. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

GREAT idea for a post.

Antoine Carr. Bar none, couldn't stand the guy. But I supported him while he wore the pajamas, and I jeered him as SOON as he left.

I was pissed when the Francis trade went down, too...I wasn't mad at Francis personally, but I could see Dickerson was going to be a very good player, and he was one of my favorites to boot.

But after I watched a little of Steve in preseason, I was converted to "Who the hell cares? LOOK at this guy play!" And I've been a Franchise-Fan ever since.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Maloney... definetely.

The guy still hasn't earned his contract, but it is not his fault that the Rockets payed him more than he is worth.

I thought the guy was a worthless PG for a long time, but he could shoot. Every once in a while, he had a good game, and didn't make any bad decisions, and I slowly warmed up to him.

Then one game, I saw him cross-over Payton, blow by him for one of those "I can't jump, I am a white boy" layups, and I haved loved him ever since. He made Gary "best defensive point guard" Payton look really bad on that play, and I loved it. [​IMG]

------------------
    CC.NET Sim League Web Page
    My Team (Sonics)

Running, Raving, Exiting, Out.

12. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Bingo -
    That post about Cato and Pippen was hysterical ! I almost spit our my drink when I read it !!!

Mine is Barkley! I hated him for shoving Dream to the floor in their last playoff game against each other, and also because we were giving up Sam the Man, who is still one of my favorite players (because he looks like he actually enjoys the game)! On the reverse, I was cautiously optimistic about Quitten, and grew to have no respect for him in a VERY short period of time!

Good topic!

------------------

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm with the Barkley crowd. I absolutely hated the guy while he was in Pheonix, especially during the playoffs. He was probably the guy I hated most in the league. Then the rumors surfaced about coming to the Rockets, and I couldn't believe it. Why would our beloved Rockets want a piece of trash like that? At that point, I would've accepted Malone(ugh) over Chuck. And then the trade happens and I was pissed. We had just traded four of our players, including my favorite(Horry), for that tub of lard. I contemplated finding another team to watch. Fortunately, I didn't, and eventually came to love Charles and everything he did. And that is why today I am still a diehard Rocket fan.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I really thought that Franchise screwed Vancouver over, but since he was traded to us, I had to get to liking him.

BTW, anyone else have that chronicle clip that has a big picture of Stevie and says "St. Francis?"

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion