1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons' presence last night and his own contract situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

They aren't paying a backup center that much money. And they aren't giving Howard - a player who has averaged 36 mpg in his career - a max deal to play 30 minutes.

2. tomato

tomato Member

Everyone has it backwards. It is Parsons pulling the strings. He was the first rock of the foundation. Now DM is his ho.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They signed Asik last season with the intent that he would be backing up Dwight.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Or it could be that they don't have the relationship w/ Dwight that Parsons and Harden do.

Either way, they're as good as gone if Dwight is insisting on getting a 3rd star.

5. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Tbh, bird rights is good only to exceed the cap. If u r not a max player, bird rights don't mean much at all, 4y/36m from Houston or 4y/36m from Dallas is the same thing is it not?

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

We have all of their bird rights Parsons, Lin, Asik.

It means we can match any offer another team makes don't have worry about going over the cap and into luxury tax territory which Les said he was prepared to do for a contender.

If Parsons maintains his level of play over the next 2 years and commands the max $10m or whatever it is, we can pay that to him and not worry about salary cap restrictions.

7. Postcall

Postcall Member

Yeah to be honest Parsons and Fegan are going to want to get every penny they can in the future and will if Parsons continue to improve and is in the all star game get 15 a year from some team. I think Parsons and all NBA players know the score. That goes for all the guys Lin, Asik, Delfino, Douglas, Brooks etc. Les maybe the type to pay 50-70+ million in taxes alone although I doubt that is realistic.

8. munco

munco Member

Parsons is likely going to want more than $10 mill. a year

9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

While this is true, it doesn't mean the player has to stay with Houston. It doesn't act like restricted FA where you can just match the offer and retain the player. And unless you renounce, you have to hold a cap hold for their salary. Lin and Asik would be $12.56M each and Parsons $2.5M.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know you have to take what a GM says, but I feel very good about my assessment of Asik after hearing what Morey said this morning. While I find trading for Smith as an interesting possibility, I think Asik is a better value.