1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons is the reason the offense was so much better last year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jan 3, 2015.

1. tdo

tdo Member

This.

I wouldn't say Parsons was the reason we lost the series (most of the blame has to fall on Harden), but he certainly was a negative on defense, and seemed like he could not finish in the 2nd half of games. Our offense this year has more differences than just an Ariza for Parsons swap. We play at a slower pace, have no Lin (he was at least a decent ball handler), and no Jones. People seem to forget about Jones for some reason. Jones was also an excellent slasher and garbage man.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Parsons was not the reason for a first round exit, people forget that he put us ahead with his rebound and put back late.

DD

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

The melt down on this forum after couple of losses is real. This team needs 2 to 3 more weeks to establish chemistry and gel together.

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Then gave up a buzzer beater

5. Space City

Space City Member

It's terrible watching Ariza drive into the lane. I always just assume he'll miss. However, i think Papa and Brewer can replace those skills you mentioned. If only Papa could find his way off the bench. McHale used to talk about how he loved his Greek Army Knife.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That doesn't mean his absence is why it's worse this season..

This team was built to complement two stars. Only one showed up this year. Plain and simple.

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It was Parsons but also Lin as well. Those two guys were great at getting to the rim and finishing. We don't have anyone like that on this team except Harden. Since we don't have Jones either, there aren't players on this team that can finish well around the basket.

Dwight is average at finishing but he loses the ball or is fouled and can't make his free throws more than half of the time.

For being a 7 footer, DMo has little man syndrome. He would rather flip up a shot than go up strong.

Smith is a good finisher but doesn't seem too keen at driving to the basket.

Beverley had a floater earlier this year but that has gone to crap, as the rest of his game.

Ariza LOLOL

Terry rather pull up for 16 footers than take it to the basket.

Brewer is a good transitional finisher but this team doesn't run fast breaks anymore for some reason.

Pap, Canaan, Johnson have missed so many layups this season, it's no wonder they don't play.

It's Harden, or nothing on offense.

8. tdo

tdo Member

Also, I have never seen a team that misses so many wide open 3pt attempts. I mean we take a ton, but I would say a good percentage are essentially wide open, and we fail to convert the majority of the time. The first three plays of the game last night were Harden completely left alone at the 3...brick, Ariza wide open from the wing...brick, and Bev wide open from I believe the corner... brick.

Are there any stats that show our 3pt% on uncontested shots? I'd be willing to bet it is below league average.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Honestly, we need to get out and run more! We have no fastbreak game right now. Our pace is so slow right now and with a predictable offense, it's no wonder we suck on offense.

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

1 play. He played just as bad defensively during the season and playoffs as Harden. Dont miss him at all

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Meh, we seem to be forgetting that we are 22-10.

Ever since Dwight came back, things have got worse.

It doesn't help that Beverly has transformed into a ballhog suddenly. That's really what has been hurting us the most on offense.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He was partly to blame. He sucked most of that series. But Harden was the biggest reason followed closely by the inconsistent team defense, McHale's failure to make adjustments until Game 3, Lin's horrible late game execution, and Dwight's foul shooting(it cost us Game 1).

13. bmd

bmd Member

Parsons was the main catalyst on fast breaks last year. He would run the floor and could either spot up or finish at the rim. He was always getting lay-ups.

14. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

parson's ugly spot up jump shot/ pump fake to the basket can't save our slump.

[​IMG]

15. tdo

tdo Member

Yea we are still in great position, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried with our last 6 or so games. Bev does seem to be channeling his inner Steve Nash lately. I wonder if this is his doing, or if it is something the coaching staff has been trying to work on. Regardless, if Bev and Harden are in the game together, I want the ball in Harden's hands practically every possession.

16. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's because no one on the team is looking to push the damn ball. Hell, the Van Gundy Rockets squads ran better than this. Harden walks the ball up the floor and nearly risks an 8 second violation every time. Bev doesn't look to run. And Ariza ain't much of a finisher, so unless he gets a steal and breakaway dunk, he's worthless on the fast break.

When your halfcourt offense is sucking, it's not the worst idea in the world to try to look for more easy baskets. But that requires playing some defense for starters and then actually running down the court and going for a quick shot instead of grinding out the 24 second clock.

18. bmd

bmd Member

My post has nothing to do with this slump. The offense hasn't been good all year, even when they were winning. They were winning because they were holding opponents to only 94 points a game.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

We don't lack the offense.... The problem is how the players are being used on offense. You have to improvise your offense to the players you have..

Morey and McHale, have to pick their poison, do you want to be a high octane offense or bear defense...

Most high octane offensive guys don't play defense (Milwaukee Bucks with Don Nelson). The starters are not a 3 point shooting team and Harden has to get off his @$$ and get back to focusing on defense.

Just as we stated about Lin, Morey is not that far away... For someone being so smart, he can sometimes be very dumb. Pick a path and get a team that you can develop around that path... This turning assets and changing every year without any cohesion is just crazy... He has a good team with lots of talent, but the offense has to adjust Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

T_Man

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Exactly, minus Lin comments