1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons is the main reason Rockets has been playing well lately

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Jan 23, 2012.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We're screwed. Someone cut off DD's internet before they are all killed.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

It's a combination of weak schedule, Parsons playing over Bud, Dalambert, and Kyle Lowry. If this keeps up, we will continue to win against weak opponents with some occasional let down here and there, and we'll be able to pull out some wins against play off teams. I think there may be 4 - 5 teams in the west clearly better than the rockets, and then they are in the mix with Utah, Denver, and Portland.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Well he also said Lowry was a career backup so it kind neutralizes the jinx on him.

4. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

A poor man's Wilson Chandler?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Your mom used to be my favorite too, before she had you....son !

;)

DD

6. jogo

jogo Member

Dalembert needs to be given a lot of credit for our improved play. Also, the team has had more time to work D and the Chandler Parsons Project into the lineup. Adjustments to the bench rotation are finally starting to show some fruit (Ppat getting healthy helps).

As for Chandler, I remember two small plays in the game that stood out. I think they were both steals or deflections, and one stopped a fastbreak from Minn and one caused us to score 2 points on the other end. They seemed like important "momentum plays" when they occurred. Chandler is a "does the little things" type of player. This is in addition to his defense, of course. We're starting to see that his offense is limited. However, he does recognize things like when he can get an easy lay-up and will take it to the hole when the opportunity presents itself.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What I'm wondering about Parsons is if there is growth potential there. He's a 23 year old player, which will curtail that some. He can improve his jump shot certainly. Beyond that, what room for improvement is there? He seems to do everything else pretty well.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You guys are good for the spirit. lol.

Every damn day. lol.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

All I can say is that Chandler is the most consistent player on the team. He is just solid on both defense and offense, nothing is great (something), nothing is bad (never). He is one of NBA players who you love to have him on the floor, wish him well.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he can develop a consistent corner 3 like Battier or Bruce Bowen, every contender in the league will want him to be their 5th starter. His upside is Robert Horry, the playoff version, not the regular season version.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

He is a very smart player, who plays with a bit of a mean/tough streak. Ive noticed that if he is gonna foul you, he is by god gonna earn it. He definatly plays ahead of his years in the NBA,, and is a smarter player than some of our vets. BTW, with he, Dragic, and Lee in the game, its tough to score from 1 to 3.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

We're winning more primarily because our schedule went from the toughest in the NBA to one of the weakest.

Some other factors play into it as well, including Parsons' play, but he is not the main factor.

13. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

lol the reason we are doing well is because we have played easy teams.... the first six or w/e were against contenders and playoff teams

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Parsons helps, for sure. His effort on defense especially.

But if I had to put my finger on a single reason, I'd say Samuel Dalembert getting into playing shape. Dude's beastin' and is that paint presence we've sorely missed for so long.

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I like what he has done to our starting lineup. He has made them more athletic and defensive minded. Chase is very athletic, but has not shown or used any of it this year. No dunks for chase, no hard drives, no slashes, if he doesn't perform well on offense he is worthless because he is just not active enough on D.

I never understand why guys who were capable of moving around like an athlete could be so worthless on defense.

Guys like Melo expend so much energy trying to score it's almost understandable that their D is suspect. Guys like Chase though? He doesn't have to do anything, but catch, shoot, and slash.

I love Chase, white guys who can jump are entertaining because they're so rare in the NBA, but this team needed and still needs D. This team would be so good if we had Chuck still. Imagine Chuck coming in to replace Scola. We have a center now, but there just aren't that many big centers to guard in the league anymore. Now we are going to suffer from the 4 spot because our lockdown guy has moved on.

We could have a very good defensive team in Lowry, Lee, Parsons, Chuck, Dalembert. That group can still score too, Lee's jumpshot has been pretty good this year, we all know what Lowry and Parsons can do, Chuck improved 10 fold last season (offensively) and Dalembert is capable of making a few BS shots as well. I would love to see that group play in a tight game...oh what could have been, I never thought I would miss chuck so much. It has nothing to do with how well we are playing right now, I just see us being able to play soooooo much better with Chuck. His passing, defense, and leadership would make us so much stronger.

I wish Chuck would not of had such a breakout offensive game last year, then maybe we could have kept him. At the same time I am really happy such a great guy got paid.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You know what I like best about Parsons.....

when he gets the ball he makes a quick decision with it, he either passes it quickly (most often), or dribble drives with it (second most often) or he shoots it in rhythm quickly (3rd most often). He's very quick to size up where he is, where his defender is, where the other defenders are, and make a quick decision and go with it. If all 5 guys on the floor read the defense and made decisions that quickly and accurately, this team would win a championship with just role players.

The faster and more often the ball moves without turnovers, the more discombubulated a defense becomes and the better the shots get that come from that offense. Every once in a while I pull out a tape from the 60's and watch some of those old Knicks and Celtic teams playing. Sometimes the ball moves completely from one corner, around the arc, and back again to the original corner then back around the arc again with nary a dribble or a hesitation. Then when a player uses a hesitation, most of the time the defenders are flat-footed and not ready for it.

Basketball is most fun to watch when there is massive, rapid ball movement. Chandler is great at that. He's and old skool baller.

17. jogo

jogo Member

The three pointer is probably his biggest obstacle. If he could hit that at about 35%-38% then that would help a lot. Chandler has a high 2Pt% at 54.3% that shows he scores well around the basket. However, Chandler has ZERO free throw attempts in the last 5 games! Some of that is because he probably doesn't create his own shot that often. However, his number of FTAs is horrible and he's only made 28% of them. Drawing fouls is a skill and he can work on that.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't need that right now. He's our second best facilitator on the starting unit. He moves the basketball. The ball spends less time in Chandler's hands than any other player he is on the floor with. If he chose to drive with it more, he'd be at the FT line more. But he's a rookie, so he's not even going to get the benefit of a lot of calls he should get. He'd be getting more turnovers. He'll grow into the free throws and 3 point shooting.

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Dont care. Want moar tip dunks.

20. alcatrazpsycho

Rockets are 8-1 with te starting lineup of Lowry, Martin, Parsons, Scola, Dalembert, the one loss being the Spurs in OT... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Parsons got any PT in OT that game... So there ya go. ;)